Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

new member seeking information on Beolit colours.

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Tomshep
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Tomshep Posted: Sun, Jan 10 2016 8:13 PM

Good day to you all.

Forty years ago, as a young trainee, I starved for three months to afford a lilac Beolit 400, the first expensive and beautiful thing I ever owned. I forget what happened to it. Since then, there has been a black 505,(stolen) a black 600, (DBR by a clumsy girlfriend,)  and, for years, a cream coloured 600 which was not the best I ever had. About a month ago, I bought two 600s for spares and constructed a very nice red one from the bits. But I still hankered after the lilac 400, I had in my youth. The trouble with the internet is that you don't have to wait to find things. All you need is to trawl the Danish web sites and within 24 hours, I had bought a blue 505, and a lilac 707  which I had sent to a friend in Kolding to collect when we meet up again.

Then I heard about the curry coloured casings and found a dealer with a curry coloured 600 and a lilac 400.

So now there were six  and I am missing a grey one, a black one, a beige one .

I still need a 700 and a 500 and then I should have one of each model and one of each colour.

Or so I thought .

I have heard of  burgundy, orange, yellow and green covers but have never  seen pictures of any of them.

Does anybody know the full palette of colours, please? 

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Mon, Jan 11 2016 9:26 AM

Hi and welcome to Beoworld.

The best I can suggest is you head over to Beocentral and look at each model individually. They list the colour choices available for each particular model.

Smile

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

Tomshep
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Tomshep replied on Mon, Jan 11 2016 10:13 AM

Thank you Stonk. The problem is that none of them list the grey cover which is known to exist, so there may be others missing from Beocentral.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 11 2016 11:06 AM

Beolit 600 was sold as "Colouradio" with the choice of black, white, red, curry and violet.
Other Beolit models were available in (dusty-) blue and, as you mention, (grey'ish) beige.

Martin

Tomshep
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Tomshep replied on Mon, Jan 11 2016 8:32 PM

There is certainly a grey available on the 505/707 series. I have heard of a short wave 600 model with a bandspread by the rod aerial. has anybody ever seen one? I haven't and would like to know where they were sold.

Tomshep
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Tomshep replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 8:08 PM

According to the manuals, however, the grey model is somebody's spray can special, leaving

Red, white, black, violet, curry, blue and beige.

The two sets bought from Bremdal Radio were cosmetically ok but, considering that they were supposed to have been through the service department, disappointing with one completely bad speaker on one and the other being so badly misaligned to cover up a fault in the AM section that I am still having trouble getting to the bottom of  it. Fortunately, I have far better skills than their haervaerker and access to the sort of equipment I'll need to sort it out but if you haven't, give these people a miss.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 8:40 PM

I always considered the so-called "beige" model grey.

The speaker is a weak point, - the magnet often comes lose in transport, it snaps to one side and completely locks the voicecoil.

Martin

Teddy_fr
Not Ranked
near ANGOULEME FRANCE
Posts 40
Bronze Member
Teddy_fr replied on Thu, Jan 21 2016 11:37 AM

Hi Tomshep and welcome to Beoworld.

The Beolit 600 Dual SW exists but it is very hard to find.

Mine comes from Denmark but sometimes some of them can be seen on BidorBuy, an South African site.

There are some differences in comparision with the usual Beolits 600. Instead of LW and MW, there are 2 SW bands and a further slider near the aerial to make a fine tuning on SW. Its aerial is much longer than the normal ones on the usual Beolits 600 and the top of the aerial is bigger and chromed.

Good luck to find this very rare model !

Marc

Teddy_fr
Not Ranked
near ANGOULEME FRANCE
Posts 40
Bronze Member
Teddy_fr replied on Thu, Jan 21 2016 12:54 PM

Another photo :

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Jan 21 2016 2:39 PM

These are fantastic radios - Tim Jarman did some work on repairing the speakers which are an unusual size and for which there is no easy replacement. He had quite a few including the lilac one. I have heard of fake lilac ones and one of our members had one spray painted a very fetching royal blue - I did buy a 600 with the idea of doing the same but it was in such good condition, I couldn't bring myself to do it!!

The Beolit 1000 is a half way house between the older 800 and the Colour Radios but has the SW bands as standard. One comes in wood or goatskin leather finishes though. I think the Colour radios are better - I have a 1000 so no owners bias! Big Smile

Peter

Tomshep
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Tomshep replied on Thu, Jan 21 2016 8:08 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the answers.

The second curry coloured 600 arrived today, near mint, it has just been restrung and sits next to the grey/beige 505. I pickedthat up on Sunday (from the Acton factory where Montagu Napier built Britain's first racing cars and the engine that John Cobb used to set the outright lap record at Brooklands,) with a very tatty case and the wrong speaker. The one from the 400 which was very bad had to be jigged to sound right then glued to replace it. It looks and sounds fine now and cost me £15.

Curry number one was subjected to a good sorting out. The VDR in the agc circuit was replaced from the spares set and then realigned using a Marconi 2024 sig gen and an Agilent 5012 'scope, both of which make the job a breeze. Unfortunately, following a couple of hours on the bench, it has been permanently withdrawn from the collection because it is a perfect match for the newly redecorated bedroom's curtains. Resistance being futile, I had to buy the other one. That short wave set is now the grail for me. It goes all the way up to 108. Thank you for showing the picture.

Tomshep
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Tomshep replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 5:20 PM

I would like to see the fm section of the circuit diagram if you have it, please, Marc because it would be interesting to see what was done to stretch the band by 4 MHz. The tunerhead parts list could give me the clues to built a 108MHz hot rod out of one of the spares sets. Machining off the paint from the tuning scale and replacing it with a new scale might be an interesting thing to do. I'm investigating the purchase of some Nextel at the moment. Red, white and black at first. Can't find violet but blue, and grey beige are available.

I'm also considering making an injection moulding tool to make a similar (Not identical; I don't want to be accused of passing off or counterfeiting,) slider knob. That will take a bit of research.

Teddy_fr
Not Ranked
near ANGOULEME FRANCE
Posts 40
Bronze Member
Teddy_fr replied on Fri, Nov 26 2021 10:16 AM

Currently for sale on BidorBuy a very rare Beolit 600 dual SW ! Don't let pass this unique chance to get this beautiful radio. Smile

BEOLIT 600 DUAL SW

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS