Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MacBook Pro Retina

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 2 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:58 PM

Michael:

Hi Moxxey, Sorry but my hearing is quite strong/good and I am very easily annoyed and distracted by noises I don´t want.

But my watches tick louder the closer they are to my ear, but I don't go putting my ear to the watches :)

I can assure you the BV10's fans are much more distracting than the MBP. The BV7's were louder (but not quite as bad as the BV10).

This 15" MBP ticks all the boxes. After I saw it in our office last week, I wasn't fully convinced. Now it's arrived, I'm a big fan and have never liked the 15". It's quiet, doesn't get too warm, amazing screen, light (for a 15") and generally just a very well-designed device. Definitely the best computer on the market right now.

At the moment, I've (temporarily) ditched my 27" Cinema Display and Mac Pro and have moved to this 15" MBP. Windows 7 running in Parallels working well, too.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:07 PM

moxxey:

Michael:

Hi Moxxey, Sorry but my hearing is quite strong/good and I am very easily annoyed and distracted by noises I don´t want.

But my watches tick louder the closer they are to my ear, but I don't go putting my ear to the watches :)

I can assure you the BV10's fans are much more distracting than the MBP. The BV7's were louder (but not quite as bad as the BV10).

This 15" MBP ticks all the boxes. After I saw it in our office last week, I wasn't fully convinced. Now it's arrived, I'm a big fan and have never liked the 15". It's quiet, doesn't get too warm, amazing screen, light (for a 15") and generally just a very well-designed device. Definitely the best computer on the market right now.

At the moment, I've (temporarily) ditched my 27" Cinema Display and Mac Pro and have moved to this 15" MBP. Windows 7 running in Parallels working well, too.

I don´t carry a watch. Guess why ;). Sad to hear that the BV10 fans is so loud that you can hear them. I don´t like fans inside TV-sets and I think it is quite a poor design since they should last very long and fans don't work that long (and collects dust and makes noise). But I think we will see less of it now with more energy effective electronics. 

I also have a Mac Pro and the 27" Led Display from Apple and I think there is a very quiet fan inside the screen because I can feel air blowing out of it very slow:). The Mac Pro is also a very quiet design even if it has big fans.

I am really happy that you like the 15" MacBook Pro I think it is a very nice design and I actually feel that the 13" is a bit too small sometimes, and to big when I need a small computer. For example if I carry a computer on a plane or train I need a computer that I can use on the tray table. The 15" and 13" works most times but you can't tilt the screen back very much like you can with the 11".

My setup is a macbook air 11" for easy carrying and when working in areas where I need a very flexible computer. And the 15" retina that mainly stays at home or goes with me on meetings and longer travels (where I might also carry the 11", and an iPad) Heavy bag :P 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:59 PM

Michael:

My setup is a macbook air 11" for easy carrying and when working in areas where I need a very flexible computer. And the 15" retina that mainly stays at home or goes with me on meetings and longer travels (where I might also carry the 11", and an iPad) Heavy bag :P 

That will be my setup, although I'll carry on using the Mac Pro/Cinema Display in the office. The Air 11" will be taken on the road, primarily when travelling outside of the UK.

Getting a completely quiet computer is very difficult. This 15" is definitely the best so far. My previous 13" MBP was awful - fans would come on all the time. I guess the fans do come on on this new 15" MBP, but as it uses the new fan design, they are much quieter. 

The BV10 fan sounds a bit like a small piece of plastic caught in a bike's wheel. Makes a slight ticking sound. It's not loud, but you can hear it.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:06 PM
moxxey:

That will be my setup, although I'll carry on using the Mac Pro/Cinema Display in the office. The Air 11" will be taken on the road, primarily when travelling outside of the UK.

Getting a completely quiet computer is very difficult. This 15" is definitely the best so far. My previous 13" MBP was awful - fans would come on all the time. I guess the fans do come on on this new 15" MBP, but as it uses the new fan design, they are much quieter.

The BV10 fan sounds a bit like a small piece of plastic caught in a bike's wheel. Makes a slight ticking sound. It's not loud, but you can hear it.

I love the 11". I have the first edition custom ordered with 128gb/4gb/1.6 ghz CPU. I am getting a new one tomorrow to get a faster processor and backlit keyboard. No custom this time. I'll just take the more expensive better model and not upgrade since it already has 128gb which is ok on it.

The upgrade price is crazy here. Almost 450 dollars in Swedish crowns. 8GB ram would be nice but not necessary on the 11".

Pity regarding the fan, I would believe it could be exchanged. The fan is visible in the video for it on B&O YouTube-channel. Looks like a standard pc-type fan and there are quiet models out there.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:20 PM

I didn't even realise that MacBooks had a fan in them guys!  I remember Steve Jobs hating fans!!!!!! Has my white MacBook a fan in it?  I've NEVER heard it!!!

Rather shocked if the BV10 has a noisy fan - that is just crazy!!!!! And disappointing!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:34 PM
personaltrainerpaul:

I didn't even realise that MacBooks had a fan in them guys! I remember Steve Jobs hating fans!!!!!! Has my white MacBook a fan in it? I've NEVER heard it!!!

Rather shocked if the BV10 has a noisy fan - that is just crazy!!!!! And disappointing!

Yes, it do have a fan :) almost in the middle and to the back of the computer. You can see ventilation holes where the screen hinge is.

The air it takes in comes thru the keyboard and is blown out against the screen. It usually spins at around 2000 rpm and is very quiet then.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:55 PM

Wow thanks for that Michael, seriously ive never ever heard it about from one spin every now and then which I thought was the harddrive?????   Gosh these are absolutely silent!!!

My flatmate once had a Toshiba and that would spin & zoom up every 5 mins or so, it was horrific, you would have fainted but the worst was a friends supermarket special & that was the noisiest thing that Ive ever heard fan wise.   Gosh, these Macs are beautifully thought out! In a way, far better than B&O in that respect!!! Gosh!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:10 PM

Paul W:

Wow thanks for that Michael, seriously ive never ever heard it about from one spin every now and then which I thought was the harddrive?????   Gosh these are absolutely silent!!!

They are far far from silent. My 13" MBP suffered from heavy fan syndrome all the time. My mate who bought a 15" recently is often complaining about the heat and fan noise and there are plenty of discussions about MBP fans - run a Google search.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=macbook+pro+fan+noise

Paul, sometimes I think you live in a parallel world :)

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:55 AM

moxxey:
They are far far from silent. My 13" MBP suffered from heavy fan syndrome all the time. My mate who bought a 15" recently is often complaining about the heat and fan noise and there are plenty of discussions about MBP fans - run a Google search.

It differs a lot model to model. Some models run hotter than others. It depends on both the electronics and the amount of conductive compound that transfers heat from the cpu/gpu to the heatsink. The newer models have processors that can fit smaller transistors closer together which result in lower energy consumption, less heat and more speed.

And of course, not all people press their cpu´s much. Most people just browse the web, read emails and such. Which usually dont get the fans running very high.

The retina macbook pro has very silent fans which I like, but I am unsure how long they will last since they use a design they constructed themselves where the fan has blades of different design to produce a lot of low noises instead of one high tone. That might result in faster wear but I hope that they are stable enough to work for a good while :).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:20 AM

Michael:

It differs a lot model to model. 

Seriously? I'd have never guessed unless you'd explained :)

Sometimes some of the replies on this board make me smile.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:32 AM
moxxey:

Seriously? I'd have never guessed unless you'd explained :)

Sometimes some of the replies on this board make me smile.

I don't understand why you smile at my replies. I am not writing just for you and I don't think it is obvious. I don't know your knowledge level but I do think you are arrogant saying that the replies makes you smile, hinting it is obvious.

And you said they was loud. I disagree and as I said different models(size/year) don't sound the same.

But I guess this will make you smile also.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 12:01 PM

Moxxey,

Maybe your MBP's fans are noisy but seriously, these white MacBooks are silent!  But hey, I really don't want to get into a discussion any further on this as it looks as though we need to get a life talking about this rubbish!

jkhamler
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Bronze Member
jkhamler replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 12:08 PM

Haha, very true. Stop right there guys!

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
It really depends on the exact model. My mac mini is really silent. My friend mac mini wich is a slightly different model is really noisy.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Page 2 of 2 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS