Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MacBook Pro Retina

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 2 Followers

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael Posted: Sat, Jun 30 2012 1:57 AM

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to tell you that I got my Retina MacBook Pro today. Since a few people here is interested in Macs and the new retina macbook pro I wanted to say that it is really awesome. 

Feels so different and nice at the same time. Very good sound but I do not get a B&O feeling from it. It lacks a lot of bass, at least it feels like it right now. Perhaps they sound better after some use. The sound is very crisp and vivid but lacks lower frequencies. Very sharp and interesting sound stage, sounds good.

Hard to explain the sound this late on the night but it feels very clear and I don't think I have heard so clear sound from a laptop before. The bass is not very strong unfortunately but the mids and top are very good.

The screen is very nice, they don't use a separate glass cover anymore and it feels almost like you can grab the content with your hands. It´s like it is flowing in the air right in front of your eyes. And it is so crisp and the colors really pop. They are so very strong. Haven't seen anything like it before, just on iPad and iPhone.

There is not even a MacBook Pro label on the screen, it is completely black, no distractions, just a screen that is so amazing.

I have to go and sleep a bit now but it is going to be hard to look at another screen after this one :)

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I very jealous ;-)

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jun 30 2012 1:35 PM

PhilLondon:

I very jealous ;-)

me too ... especially since some other friends have also just bought one today !

but I am still happy with my January 2009 MacBook unibody ... even if I don't listen to it Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Jun 30 2012 1:50 PM

WOW Michael you have great taste, but that's not, fair, you've only JUST bought a V1 ;)  ;)

Incredible sound from a laptop from what you've said. I'm loving this Retina MacBook Pro.  I'm wondering if this Retina screen will ever find its way into television sets - if it does, it will knock everything else out of this world.

Maybe next year for a new MacBook Pro. Im typing this on my white 2010 MacBook. Incredible little workhorse - 8, 12 maybe 15 hours of use everyday from studio use, sound editing to graphic design & advertising to sport management to my iTunes :)  INCREDIBLE in everyway AND STILL 7 hours battery life which my friends are so impressed with - some of their Windows laptops are the same age and they get 30 minutes battery life hehehehe :)

Keep the updates coming Michael, I always really enjoy reading your reviews and thoughts :)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jun 30 2012 9:22 PM

Paul W:
 I'm wondering if this Retina screen will ever find its way into television sets - if it does, it will knock everything else out of this world.

According to one calculation, if you take the pixels of the Retina display and lay them end to end, they are taller than the (ex-) "Sears" tower in Chicago or one of the old World Trade Centre towers ..... a meaningless factoid, except it does point to just how much screen real estate this latest MacBook Pro has.

So it is not surprising that some performance tests are showing that the frame rate of the video engine can drop to 20 fps for some operations.

So it is not ready yet for TV performance - and I am surprised they are talking it up for gaming.

BeoNut since '75

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 2:14 PM

Paul W:
WOW Michael you have great taste, but that's not, fair, you've only JUST bought a V1 ;)  ;)

What can I say Paul :P I love technology :).

I don't think retina is necessary on a TV since we don't sit very close to it. I can´t see the individual pixels when watching a movie at a few meters distance. But perhaps when we get 85" TV´s we will need 4K resolution or something like that :) and of course that will give us more detail so lets hope for that in the future :P

I also think the Macs are incredible machines. I switched tvelve years ago and haven't looked back. I use a few different macs, mainly a MacBook Air 11" which I love to carry with me. Like you I do alot of different things with my computers, also work a lot with graphics and sound. I don't do any sport management and don't know what that is (but I got my first gym card two days ago :))

Thanks for your kind words and nice to hear my words are appreciated!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:03 PM

Hi Michael!!! Well done on starting the gym - that's truly awesome. I bet the gyms in Sweden are very nice! If you would ever like me to send you some workout plans for either bodybuilding or toning or ripping, just email me and i'll happy send you some that have given me outstanding results!

During the day, I'm a Marketing Manager in Radio BUT I also have my own company - The Crowd Media House. Part of it is Sport Management! I manage my friend Louis Bessinger who is a Sports Fitness Model & Pro Bodybuilder. He's an awesome guy and I do all of his Marketing, PR &Management on an International level. (Learn more about him at bessinger.co.za)

I'm very interested in your MacBook Air 11" as that is the model that a great friend of mine is wanting. Due you find the screen size ok? I'm waiting for the Retina MBP to be launched as a 13" as I really do find this screen size to be absolutely PERFECT for me!

As I said, always really cool to read your postings! And enjoy that gym - try and aim for 4 workouts a week and give yourself 12 weeks for really great results and don't forget that protein shake for after your workout :)

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:05 PM

elephant:

So it is not surprising that some performance tests are showing that the frame rate of the video engine can drop to 20 fps for some operations.

I use my old MacBook Pro with an Apple 27" screen also, with almost the same amount of pixels plus the internal screen without an issue. And it is possible to use the Retina macbook with three external screens at once. 

I think it is a matter of software enhancements to make it faster. Now, since the retina display is not used with the same dpi settings but "HiDPI" all media is rendered with more detail and most software and pictures is not yet made for such high resolutions. This means that the GPU/CPU has to do more work on those things also. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:21 PM

Paul W:

Hi Michael!!! Well done on starting the gym - that's truly awesome. I bet the gyms in Sweden are very nice! If you would ever like me to send you some workout plans for either bodybuilding or toning or ripping, just email me and i'll happy send you some that have given me outstanding results!

During the day, I'm a Marketing Manager in Radio BUT I also have my own company - The Crowd Media House. Part of it is Sport Management! I manage my friend Louis Bessinger who is a Sports Fitness Model & Pro Bodybuilder. He's an awesome guy and I do all of his Marketing, PR &Management on an International level. (Learn more about him at bessinger.co.za)

I'm very interested in your MacBook Air 11" as that is the model that a great friend of mine is wanting. Due you find the screen size ok? I'm waiting for the Retina MBP to be launched as a 13" as I really do find this screen size to be absolutely PERFECT for me!

As I said, always really cool to read your postings! And enjoy that gym - try and aim for 4 workouts a week and give yourself 12 weeks for really great results and don't forget that protein shake for after your workout :)

Hi Paul! I was just answering elephant and saw your message. Thanks, I look forward to go there :) I have never really trained so it will be a completely new experience for me! Sounds very fun the work you do and I checked out the webpage, wow that is amazing training but I will never go to that level Big Smile.

I think the 11" screen is perfect when you travel and need/want a light computer that is very well built. The MacBook Air is that computer. Very small, thin and strong in it´s aluminum casing. Takes very little space. The screen is small but the resolution is ok for that size, about the same as your white macbook, even a bit more pixels on the width but a few less on the height.

It has the good apple keyboard and large touchpad so for that small computer I find it very pleasing to use. And the charger is also very small which of course is a good thing also. Smaller than the charger for both macbooks and macbook pro.

The sound is nice too actually. I am thinking about upgrading to the new 11" for a faster cpu but I am not sure. But I don't think I will carry a 15" retina with me a lot. The 15" retina is however lighter than the 13" macbook pro! Just 2.02 kilograms I think. The airs is 11" 1.08 kg and the 13" 1.35 kg. 

I sometimes carry both the 11" and my iPad 3 at the same time and that weight is about the same as the retina macbook pro :)

Like you I hope there will be a 13" retina and that all the macs will get it eventually.

I also like the 13" model so I don't know what to do right now!

Thanks for your advice and I will try to go there as often as I can, and get a protein shake :) 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Michael:
I don't think retina is necessary on a TV since we don't sit very close to it. I can´t see the individual pixels when watching a movie at a few meters distance. But perhaps when we get 85" TV´s we will need 4K resolution or something like that :) and of course that will give us more detail so lets hope for that in the future :P

agree !

this article has some new graphs on the relationship of distance, screen size and visual impact/benefit:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/06/4k-tvs-are-coming-but-they-face-an-uphill-battle-in-the-home/

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 9:07 PM

Michael:

I also like the 13" model so I don't know what to do right now!

The latest info I've been told is that there won't be a 13" model soon (I also want a 13" Retina MBP), primarily due to the lag issues people have experienced on the 15" and that the lack of space in the 13" will mean even less battery time. Don't forget there are no discrete GPU in the 13" which means it would solely rely on the Intel 4000 to power the super hi-res screen. Which means more lag than on the 15".

However, having seen the 15" rMBP in the flesh the other day, I'm impressed. Never been a fan of the 15", but this is a great design, very thin and surprisingly light. I've concluded I'm going to get 15" rMBP for day-to-day use, perhaps taking to a client or a local meeting, then get a 11" Air for the road. Even my 13 MBP is a little too heavy for taking to London for the day. So, a 11" will suffice for this purpose.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 9:16 PM

moxxey:
The latest info I've been told is that there won't be a 13" model soon (I also want a 13" Retina MBP), primarily due to the lag issues people have experienced on the 15" and that the lack of space in the 13" will mean even less battery time. Don't forget there are no discrete GPU in the 13" which means it would solely rely on the Intel 4000 to power the super hi-res screen. Which means more lag than on the 15".

I think this is false. And the 15" is using a Intel 4000 also, and it has the discrete nvidia kepler gpu also. But it works on both without a problem. There is no lag but fewer frames per second in different cases. We must understand this is a first on any computer.

I think the 13" will come afterwards, and possibly with a discrete gpu also. Hard to tell but either way it will work with the intel graphics also. Don´t forget that they are able to drive big external screens also. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:10 PM

Michael:

moxxey:

I think this is false.

Apple are struggling to balance reducing the 13" form factor, leaving out the discrete GPU, keeping battery life the same and keeping heat generation low.

Whether you think it is "false" or not then that's fine.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:11 PM

moxxey:
Considering this is my business (I work in tech publishing), fair enough. It's false.

And I work with the development of it :) and as I said, it works very well with the intel graphics on the 15" so it should work as good or better on the 13" with fever pixels. And there is probably not too hard to fit a discrete gpu in the 13" now when the optical drive and a mechanical hard drive is out of the way. Much better air inlets and everything.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:13 PM

Michael:

moxxey:
Considering this is my business (I work in tech publishing), fair enough. It's false.

And I work with the development of it :)

I'm not going to trade tech knowledge with you Michael. I'm not saying the 13" won't come out, I'm saying they are struggling to get the balance right, hence the delay (the 13" rMBP was supposed to be released with the 15").

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:15 PM

And Apple usually does this when they release new models. The same thing happened when they introduced the unibody computer. Only the 13" macbook and 15" macbook pro where available. The 17" inch came much later. And then even later a 13" macbook pro was released.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:18 PM

moxxey:
I'm not going to trade tech knowledge with you Michael. I'm not saying the 13" won't come out, I'm saying they are struggling to get the balance right, hence the delay (the 13" rMBP was supposed to be released with the 15").

I don't understand what delay you are talking about however since it was released on WWDC which always is the most important apple event of the year. I don't think it has been delayed and it will probably launch later. 

Looking back at their retina products iPhone came first, iPod touch later and iPad a year later. And a few months later the MacBook Pro 15". But I don't know what they will do but I do think the retina display will come to all products in time. Just speculation :) 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:25 PM

Michael:
I don't understand what delay you are talking about however since it was released on WWDC which always is the most important apple event of the year. I don't think it has been delayed and it will probably launch later. 

Probably? That's the keyword here. A guess. The plan was to announce the 15 and 13 retina MBPs at WWDC. The 13" has been pushed back.

Apple's UK PR told us last week, whilst reviewing the 15" that it's (a 13" retina MBP) unlikely to be out this year for the reasons I've stated above. However, you can keep on speculating. Sounds like you're only happy with your thoughts on the subject!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:31 PM

moxxey:
Apple's UK PR told us last week, whilst reviewing the 15" that it's (a 13" retina MBP) unlikely to be out this year for the reasons I've stated above. However, you can keep on speculating. Sounds like you're only happy with your thoughts on the subject!

If you had asked them about a retina display a week before it launched they would not know about that either. I don't think a lot of people know about apples upcoming products, they are always very cautious about new products. 

I still don't think it was pushed back, just not launched yet.  

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:37 PM

Michael, thank you so much with your thoughts on your MacBook Air. I passed them onto my friend and he was so delighted to see your hands on review of it. Very much appreciated! 

Maybe we will see the 13" Retina MacBook Pro at the October event OMG a new iPhone 5 and 13" Retina MacBook Pro - that would be far too much ;) 

Hey Michael, since you have all of these Apples, have you thought about treating yourself to the BeoPlay A8 or BeoLit 12?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:49 PM

Paul W:

Michael, thank you so much with your thoughts on your MacBook Air. I passed them onto my friend and he was so delighted to see your hands on review of it. Very much appreciated! 

Maybe we will see the 13" Retina MacBook Pro at the October event OMG a new iPhone 5 and 13" Retina MacBook Pro - that would be far too much ;) 

Hey Michael, since you have all of these Apples, have you thought about treating yourself to the BeoPlay A8 or BeoLit 12?

Im happy that he found my thoughts informative :). 

I look forward to the higher iphone 5 with its aluminum&glass backplate (dream scenario:P). We´ll just have to wait and see!

I don't have an A8 nor BeoLit 12 but I think they are both interesting products. Perhaps an A8 would be nice in the kitchen but I have better speakers around my apartment so I don't find much use for an A8 or Beolit 12 right now.

I do like the fact that I can take the BeoLit 12 into the bathroom for music when I shower but I already have a small tivoli audio radio in there with a cable for my iPhone (so no AirPlay, but that can easily be fixed). And it would be easy to carry out to the patio also.

The thing I don't like about the A8/BeoLit 12 is that they cannot wake from stand by automatically. I think this feature will be developed but I am not sure. The wifi-part could be enabled and as soon as it receives a signal it should just turn on, like any other Powerlink speaker. Imagine just coming home with friends and start playing music outside the house from the iPhone, so when you open the door the music is already on.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:19 PM

Michael, Damn, I didnt realise that the A8/beoLit12 didn't wake up from standby automatically damn - maybe an update will be on the cards! I do have to say that I was incredibly impressed with the BeoLit12, it sounded lovely - I think that it would make an awesome system for a bedroom along with the iPhone.

The Tivoli is a very classy piece of design - I remember seeing one in 2001 in Alicia Keys - Fallin' video.  I think it's about time the BeoLit12 or BS8/A8 started appearing in either movies or music videos or even interior magazines as it's all rather quiet on that front!

I imagine that a BeoPlay A8 with the new Retina MacBook Pro would make a very nice system!

TerryM
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Bronze Member
TerryM replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:26 PM

Given the shortage of supplies,I do wonder if Apple under estimated the demand for the 15" MacBook Pro Retina,which would render the early release of a 13" version somewhat problematic.

I have read some where that the panels are individually colour calibrated,so,if correct,it would impact on the speed of production of the MacBook Pro Retina laptops.

There are numerous user reviews on Amazon.com which are well worth reading,especially with regard to Pro Retina's gaming capabilities.

I managed to buy the 2.3 GHz version from John Lewis.

Having come from a PC,and an elderly MacBook,I found the steepest learning curve with the Pro Retina was the trackpad with it's gesture combinations.

The screen is all that the publicity has suggested.

My photographs have never looked so good.

Additionally,despite statements that text on most websites is rendered slightly fuzzy by the retina screen,I have not found this to be a problem.

The unnerving thing,for me,is the complete silence of the laptop in operation.

Yes,the MacBook Pro Retina is very expensive,but it just exudes quality in all departments.

Rather like B & O TVs,after a short time in use one tends to forget the cost,and just enjoy the experience.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:35 PM

TerryM:

Given the shortage of supplies,I do wonder if Apple under estimated the demand for the 15" MacBook Pro Retina,which would render the early release of a 13" version somewhat problematic.

I have read some where that the panels are individually colour calibrated,so,if correct,it would impact on the speed of production of the MacBook Pro Retina laptops.

There are numerous user reviews on Amazon.com which are well worth reading,especially with regard to Pro Retina's gaming capabilities.

I managed to buy the 2.3 GHz version from John Lewis.

Having come from a PC,and an elderly MacBook,I found the steepest learning curve with the Pro Retina was the trackpad with it's gesture combinations.

The screen is all that the publicity has suggested.

My photographs have never looked so good.

Additionally,despite statements that text on most websites is rendered slightly fuzzy by the retina screen,I have not found this to be a problem.

The unnerving thing,for me,is the complete silence of the laptop in operation.

Yes,the MacBook Pro Retina is very expensive,but it just exudes quality in all departments.

Rather like B & O TVs,after a short time in use one tends to forget the cost,and just enjoy the experience.

Terry, can you hear a slight buzzing noise from the middle of the keyboard? It is not the fans but some kind of electical buzz. I have heard it before on the first MacBook Pro (first mac with intel processor) but it was much louder. This can almost not be heard. Please let me know because I can hear it on this system. 

I also think the screen is absolutely incredible. I do not think they calibrate every screen manually. Actually I think there is only one screen provider for the retina display and they are all much alike. Of course not identical but Apple is known to not calibrate their screens perfectly but after a profile per model. Usually a MacBook Pro model has several different panel providers and the factory workers take the screen they can get their hands on for the time beeing. And the computer sees which model and gives the predetermined calibrated profile (not unique to the one screen, just the model).

Have heard about a few issues with the new retina display due to the IPS technology but it seems to be a small batch that had the issue where ghosting appears. I have yet to see it myself.

I think the text is razor sharp. Images not in retina resolution of course look a bit jagged but most things look good. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 10:37 AM

TerryM:

Mine is here this week - Wednesday I think. Looking forward to it. £1449. I can't complain!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 12:35 PM

moxxey:
Mine is here this week - Wednesday I think. Looking forward to it. £1449. I can't complain!

How can you get it at that price? It costs 1799 in the UK store? Even that price is much cheaper than in Sweden by the way :/

I think it is an expensive machine but a very good machine also, you certainly get the best computer for the money. But it still is a lot of money, however well spent.

TerryM
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Bronze Member
TerryM replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 1:41 PM

Michael:

Terry, can you hear a slight buzzing noise from the middle of the keyboard? It is not the fans but some kind of electical buzz. I have heard it before on the first MacBook Pro (first mac with intel processor) but it was much louder. This can almost not be heard. Please let me know because I can hear it on this system. 

I also think the screen is absolutely incredible. I do not think they calibrate every screen manually. Actually I think there is only one screen provider for the retina display and they are all much alike. Of course not identical but Apple is known to not calibrate their screens perfectly but after a profile per model. Usually a MacBook Pro model has several different panel providers and the factory workers take the screen they can get their hands on for the time beeing. And the computer sees which model and gives the predetermined calibrated profile (not unique to the one screen, just the model).

Have heard about a few issues with the new retina display due to the IPS technology but it seems to be a small batch that had the issue where ghosting appears. I have yet to see it myself.

I think the text is razor sharp. Images not in retina resolution of course look a bit jagged but most things look good. 

Michael,

for me to hear any noise I have to have my ear practically touching the keyboard.

On first switch on,the noise is a very gentle 'whirring' sound.

After a couple of hours,there is a very quiet buzzing sound somewhat reminiscent of induction noise in a hi-fi system.

But to repeat,I can only hear these sounds with an ear practically touching the keyboard.

I increased the volume control to maximum to see if any sound was being transmitted to the inbuilt speakers,but all was silent.

If you are experiencing audible noise with your machine,from a normal viewing position,then perhaps you should audition another unit to determine if yours is faulty.

Regards,

Terry.

TerryM
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Bronze Member
TerryM replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 1:46 PM

moxxey:

TerryM:

An envy inducing price.

Well done.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:12 PM

TerryM:

An envy inducing price.

Well done.

One of the few advantages of working in tech journalism I guess - the discounts! Gone are the days where you'd get freebies though. Apple only lend us kit for a few days, a couple of weeks at the most.

I'm a big fan of the 13". I returned a 15" MBP last year. Couldn't get on with the size. However, the new rMBP is definitely neater, much lighter and, with no 13" rMBP due soon (Apple claim), I plumped for the 15.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 3:37 PM

Just seen one today, unfortunately, I couldn't judge the screen as they were running the Apple video which didnt look that HD to me.

Must say, I like my white MacBook 13" - the colour suits my taste! So i'm happy :)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Paul W:
Just seen one today, unfortunately, I couldn't judge the screen as they were running the Apple video which didnt look that HD to me.

I am not sure an HD video would be a decent test to show it off in all its glory.  If you had it running in full rez mode with a 4X movie that might be a different story (but perhaps it would have started smoking at that point!)

What I did was go to this site http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/ChallengesFinished.aspx and browse the winning shots and then zoomed each of them to their maximum natural size in separate full screen windows.  

I was still probably only seeing them in the retina's default modem but none the less the colours were stunning.

BeoNut since '75

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 4:16 PM

Thanks Elephant - yeah i don't know why they had a DVD quality video running on it - very silly. I know the Retina screen is amazing. I'd love to see photos on it :)

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 4:32 PM

Paul W:

Thanks Elephant - yeah i don't know why they had a DVD quality video running on it - very silly. I know the Retina screen is amazing. I'd love to see photos on it :)

The screen itself is stunning, but more so when you go back to the standard MBP screen and compare. The "old" screen looks dirty and fuzzy in comparison. You do wonder how we coped with these screens after seeing the retina.

For instance, email in Mail just looked superb. No fuzziness around the fonts at all. That's going to be a godsend for me as most of my day is spend on email or Coda (now retina).

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 8:23 PM

TerryM:

After a couple of hours,there is a very quiet buzzing sound somewhat reminiscent of induction noise in a hi-fi system.

But to repeat,I can only hear these sounds with an ear practically touching the keyboard.

I increased the volume control to maximum to see if any sound was being transmitted to the inbuilt speakers,but all was silent.

If you are experiencing audible noise with your machine,from a normal viewing position,then perhaps you should audition another unit to determine if yours is faulty.

Hi Terry, the sound is exactly the same on mine. I can only hear it when I put my head against or near the keyboard. But I don't like it. But I guess it is not a big issue anyway. My older MacBook Pros have also had problems with noise but the old one I still have is completely silent, except from the hard drive and fans :)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 10:55 PM

Guys, a few people think that this new expensive Retina MacBook Pro is expensive BUT it's probably the World's BEST computer and does practically everything AND LOOK AT IT THIS WAY... It's still £700 cheaper than a B&O BS5 Encore which does er...... not much! And hasn't even a Retina screen ;)

Looks cheap now doesn't it!!!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:42 PM

Just received my retina MBP this morning. Very very impressed. I'm not a big fan of the 15", but the reduced weight and height of the new design makes it look a little smaller, neater etc. The screen is just incredible. You can set fonts slightly smaller than you would normally, simply as they are so crystal clear. Luckily most of my apps are upgraded to support retina.

Only downside are the Adobe CS6 apps. Dreamweaver fonts look like they've been scaled - very fuzzy. Difficult to read the text on a web page in DW. Hopefully Adobe can do something about this sooner rather than later. Same with the iWork apps.

Chrome Dev supports retina and Mail is a different experience. Didn't intend to move over to the 15" today as we're on a major deadline today, but it took less than an hour to setup and am now using it rather than the 13" - the screen on the 2011 MBP is so fuzzy in comparison.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 3:56 PM

Sounds incredible!!! So, the Worlds BEST laptop just got even better!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 4:28 PM

Michael:

Hi Terry, the sound is exactly the same on mine. I can only hear it when I put my head against or near the keyboard. 

Why on earth would you do that - that's like you're going looking for issues. I'm sure if I put my ear next to the speakers, I might blow an eardrum, but I wouldn't complain about it.

I can't hear any buzzing or sound issues whatsoever. In fact, I'd go as far as saying this is absolutely superb. Fans rarely come on at all, very quiet, doesn't get too hot (unlike my old 13" MBP).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 4:33 PM

Michael:

Hi Terry, the sound is exactly the same on mine. I can only hear it when I put my head against or near the keyboard. 

Why on earth would you do that - that's like you're going looking for issues. I'm sure if I put my ear next to the speakers, I might blow an eardrum, but I wouldn't complain about it.

I can't hear any buzzing or sound issues whatsoever. In fact, I'd go as far as saying this is absolutely superb. Fans rarely come on at all, very quiet, doesn't get too hot (unlike my old 13" MBP).

Indeed, I have more "buzzing" and fan issues on my BV10-46 (and previous BV7) than this MacBook Pro!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:15 PM

moxxey:

Michael:

Indeed, I have more "buzzing" and fan issues on my BV10-46 (and previous BV7) than this MacBook Pro!

Hi Moxxey, Sorry but my hearing is quite strong/good and I am very easily annoyed and distracted by noises I don´t want. For example buzz from a TV or computer. A sound that is quite quiet might perhaps be almost imperceptible but when you are working for hours you start to hear it. Thats why I am annoyed. I did notice the sound from my usual distance from the computer and couldn't figure out what it was until I had my head closer to the computer. 

Of course I did not try to blow my eardrums and I will probably not even notice the buzz when playing music at the level you are talking about :)

The noise is most of the time as I said imperceptible but not always and sounds like this have a way of getting louder. It is not unusual in computer that components like voltage regulators sound, and they do when they are used anomaly or of bad quality. Meaning it should not sound anything at all.

But this buzz might be here and might not make things worse, I just commented on it because it is there. Regarding buzz on TV I am happy that the V1 buzzes very little. My living room samsung doesn't buzz either but my old bedroom tv buzzed a lot on different light settings, one of the reasons I actually bought the V1 in the first place.

I also try to choose computers that are as quiet as possible and as you probably know Apple goes to great length to remove all sounds that should not be there, Steve Jobs was very active on this issue. I love that they do so and that is also why the sound distracted me :).

Page 1 of 2 (54 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS