Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoconnect and Windows 10

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Snowteck
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Snowteck Posted: Thu, Jan 28 2016 10:29 AM

Is the BeoConnect software for the Beosound 5 compatible with Windows 10?

I have just downloaded BeoConnect from the link in the online Beosound 5 guide and I get no response when clicking on the BeoConnect desktop icon

Deepwater
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

Think I have the same problem. To be compatible with a new Beomoment I need to convert all my music on Beomaster from WAV to FLAC format but I'm struggling to get into Beomaster with a Windows 10 PC.

Can anyone help please..??

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

I have the same problem. My perfectly working Boconnect suddenly disappeared form the tast line and the icon on the welcome screen is unresponsive. So I deleted the app and downloaded it again. Still unresponsive. To my horror the B&O download site states "There is no support for Windows 8.1 and onwards". Surely they must be kidding - the cannot treat custoers like that so soon after discontinuation. One of the reasons you want to pay big bucks for B&O is an expectation that it will have a lifetime of at least several tears! WTF? Any solutions out there?

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Mon, May 2 2016 6:16 PM

There are problems with Windows 8 as well. I have been using BeoConnect for some time under Windows 8, and today suddenly without any action, it stopped working. The program does not start anymore. Tried to run BeoConnect manually, but nothing happened. I uninstalled the program, resinstalled it, stopped the firewall, but it didn't help: the program does not start anymore and I don't have any error message.

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Mon, May 2 2016 6:45 PM

Griebel check your ipadres in the beosound and computer.

Windows 8.1 and beoconnect works very well,no problems at all!

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, May 2 2016 7:11 PM

Use the Windows file explorer directly.

First make a netshare: something like this on the command prompt (run cmd as administrator; where the second BM-USER is the default password):

C:\>net use * \\beomaster5\bm-share$ /user:BM-USER BM-USER
local drive "x"  : is now connected to \\beomaster5\bm-share$.

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Griebel, sounds like my problems too.

Koning, how do you check IP-adresses - and then what...?

Carolpa, "something like this" might not be helpful but for the few who figure out what "something like this" actualy means" - and where you even get to enter that stuff. Hopefully B&O don't expect their customers to do the programming themselves.... :)

Hopefully B&O resolves soon.

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Tue, May 3 2016 8:46 AM

On the beosound 5 display you can see the ip-adress

The ip-adress from beoconnect must be the same.

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Koning, thanks. But the probllem that I, Griebel and others have is that Beoconnect has simply vanished from the face of the earth - it used to be in the task line. There is still a B&O icon on the desk but it is completely irresponsive and does not open the actual Beoconnect app when you click it or right click and press "Open". Nothing happens. So you cannot even open  Beoconnect. Same thing if you try to download it again. So Iøm not sure what relevance the IT address of Beoconnect is if it's not even there - and how to check it if it's not there........

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Thanks Koning,

But it's not a question of it not being able to "find" the BS5/BM5. It's a question of the Beoconnect vanishing into thin air. The B&O icon (from which you operate the app, including the selection etc) used to be pinned to the task line just disappeared - the only thing left is the B&O icon on the desk but it is unresponsive to any action (if you right click it and hit "Open" absolutely nothing happens).

Same story is you re-download it; The Beoconnect Install Shield Wizard seems to finish and the B&O shortcut icon appears on the desk but then... nothing. Beoconnect does not launch and you cannot prompt it to launch.

There is another thread on this and the problem seems to affect both Windows 8 and 10 for some users.

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Just got this reply from B&O mothership (in Danish). Essentially, you need to "map" the network drive manually in pathfinder and, as Koning rightly pointed out above, you will need the BM5 IP-address. Not sure whether this procedure means that Beoconnect is now obsolete and that it's oldfashioned "back office" drag & drop from now on..... Will try sometime over the next few days.

BeoConnect kører desværre ikke 100% kompatibelt med Windows 10, men nedenstående procedure skulle gerne lade dig overføre din musik til BeoMaster 5:
• Netværksdrevet skal mappes manuelt i Windows Stifinder
• Du finder BeoMaster 5 IP-adressen på BeoSound 5 under INDSTILLINGER - NETVÆRKSINFO
• På din PC: Åbn 'Computer' og vælg 'Map network drive'
• Map et ledigt drev til: \\<BeoMaster 5 IP-adressen>\bm-share$
• Angiv brugernavn 'BM-USER' og det password. som er gemt under CLIENT PASSWORD på BeoSound 5
• Vælg nu drevet og navigér til "Music"
• Du kan nu trække og slippe musik fra din musikfolder til BeoMaster 5 bibliotekek
Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Sat, May 7 2016 3:20 PM

I was able to solve de problem by doing the following actions, but I’m not sure if all were necessary. I'm running Windows 8.0

-          Uninstalled et reinstalled BeoConnect (it still didn’t work)

-          I allowed BeoConnect.exe in the Firewal (in and outgoing traffic)

-          I replaced the file ‘setup.xml’ in ‘User\AppData\Roaming\BeoConnect\’ by another ‘setup.xml’ file from a computer running Vista on which BeoConnect works.

-          I changed the drive letter of BM-Share$

…and it worked fine.

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Hi Griebel,

Great for you! Interesting the problem related to both Windows 8 and 10.

However, arguably it is not the customers' job to re-program their computers to get a relatively new and expensive B&O piece to work. It's B&O's job, actually it's their moral duty and customers will remember if they don't. I bet most people wouldn't even know how to do what you wrote below, myself included. 1st bullit is easy, 2nd bullit wouldn't know how to do it, 3rd bullit absolutely no clue how to do it (and don't have a good file from another computer), 4th no idea what that even means.

I wish people would report their problms to B&O headquarters - they are very nice but I suspect their need a bit of a push to do something about it.

Would Tesla sell a car and a year later say "sorry, we won't update the software, and sorry you can't charge your car any more. You might want to hire an engineer to fix it yourself"? It B&O can't (=won't) service a software based product for a reasonable time (some years) after taking it out of production they shouldn't market it at all. Just saying....

Griebel
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Gold Member
Griebel replied on Sun, May 8 2016 8:51 AM
sorenfelden:

4th no idea what that even means.

My fault, I didn't make myself clear enough. You can change the letter of the drive of your BM5/BS5 in the settings of BeoConnect. Of course to be able to do that BeoConnect must launch.
sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Okay, after several hours I managed to connect my laptop to the BM5 and transfer music - not via Beoconnect (still doesn't download) but by manual drag/drop as advised by B&O headquarters.

1) Rightclick "Network" in the File Explorer menu (accessible from the task line, probably at the bottom left of your screen)

2) Choose "Map network drive"

3) Choose a drive (it will probaby suggest "Z" which should be fine)

4) Enter "\\<BeoMaster 5 IP-adress>\bm-share$" (not the " though) - you'll find your BM5 IP-address in the BM5 ifself - can't remember exactly where but easily found)

5) Here's what B&O forgot in their instructions; Remember to check both "Reconnect at sign-in" and "Connect using different credentials"

6) Blick "Browse" - this supposedly looks for the BEOMASTER5 folder - if it finds it, click it (sometimes it would find mine, other times not). During my successful attempt it actually didnøt seem to find it, but I clicked "Finish" anyway and it worked because it prompted step 7.

7) Enter username "BM-USER" (again, not the ") and the BM5 password - if you cannot remember it you can enter a new one directly on your BS5 (forgot where but it's something about quickly clicking right arrow twice followed by OK - but forgot in which menu - can be Googled....)

8) Your PC will now create a "bm-shares" folder under "This PC" - click it to expand it and a "Music" sub folder becomes visible. You can can drag/drop music files to the "Music" sub folder from, say, iTunes etc.

It's a pain in the ar.. but it works. Only question; How do I use/revise playlists - I can't see any colour coded folders in the bm-shares folder. Doing it manually on the BS5 is possible but even more of a pain in the ar.. Any suggestions welcome!

sorenfelden
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

So, anybody know whether there are any news with respect t B&O enabling Beoconnect to run on Windows10? I had to manually create beomaster folders as mentioned above - the dragging and dropping of music nto the folders, not to mention the fact that making play lists on the PC has been rendered impossible, has taken a lot of the joy away from owning this system. Again, shame on B&O for discontinuing a completely essential software update a few months after discontinuing the product. Imagine Tesla doing the same? I though not....

Well, enough steam our the ears. Was thinking about trying to download Beoconnect again, just to see wether by any chnce is just might wrk now. But would I risk screwing up the folders that I have manually installed? Thanks!

northswede
Not Ranked
Stockholm - Sweden
Posts 43
Bronze Member

I have been connecting to my BM5 without using BeoConnect for a while now and I think it's an acceptable way to manage my music library, but I would love to know how to manage playlists without the application! 

I know that the BeoMaster 5 no longer are supported by B&O, but it would be nice if Bang & Olufsen at least would provide updates to the client software or at least published the API so there is a theoretical chance for the forum to update or write their own software. 

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
I can confirm the previous method works perfectly for installing Beoplayer onto W10.

I now enjoy this program on my latest windows machine.

Barry
smith987
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
smith987 replied on Thu, Sep 20 2018 5:21 PM

I have recently brought a new HP HP Spectre x360 laptop with windows 10 OS, I want to run the BeoConnect software in my new laptop, can I? Is this software is safe or compatible? I have also asked in HP Canada they told me this software is safe for HP products.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, Feb 8 2019 11:06 PM
I managed to install and run beoconnect 1.0.70 on Win 10 Fall Creator Update 2018.

The problem was the missing SMB v.1 support.

If this is neededby someone, I could post the way to get it to run here.
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Mar 17 2019 11:42 PM

HERE is a Link to my solution to get BeoConnect to work on my Win10 64 Fall Creator 2018 Edition.

It's about enabling SMBv1 on Win10 (not enabled by default)

and

Disabling SMBv2 on Win10

Beheit
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
Beheit replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 7:52 PM

Hi,

Did you get this resolved?

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 10:51 PM
Yes, it’s about enabling SMB 1 which is disabled by default in Win10. Did it yesterday for a newly set up Win10.

You have to decide by yourself if it is risky or not due to security issues.

But if you only access the BM5 occasionally you may consider switching it on and off before and after use.

How to enable/disable, see here:

https://bogob2bit.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/13045/~/how-do-i-connect-to-beomaster-5-with-windows-10%3F
Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS