Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Vinyl Sales in 2015 worth more than Spotify Free & YouTube combined

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2016 12:46 PM

Interesting article on Vinyl sales in America and the revenue it generates.

Also a major supermaket chain in the UK is about to stock Vinyl in a 171 of their respective stores

But hey it's just a fad, so move along please as there is nothing to see....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 1:02 PM

Thanks Mark. I also notice that today REGA updated their P3 turntable!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 1:29 PM

Yep... also read on What HiFi  where one of the "Against" comments on a 4 Star review was "could be more expensive @ £1,500 table and have seen great upload of turntables on Gearogs website.

I know I sound like a stuck record on this subject, but where is B&O in this trend ?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 1:38 PM

I guess Mark, it's production costs - the new Technics is an example were it's now over £3000 - obviously that's a different market as it'll have DJs lapping it up - and of course with Serato DJ, you've got all of your MP4s playing through a vinyl record - so you don't even have to buy records.

The B&O turntable would be a more limited audience and sadly, I'm not sure that they could make one for under £5000 unless even worse, they outsourced it to China which Tue might of done but then all of the B&O arm chair guys would be holding their hands up in horror so a truly difficult one this - probably far better in terms of quality buying refurbed originals from the 1970s to early 80s!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 1:50 PM

I did read once where Nissan in the late '90's bought back a number of their Datsun 240Z's, fully restored them and then resold them as "new".

Interesting concept..... Good things have a way of coming back 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 2:49 PM

Consider this, a Technics table is, from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint, a far simpler thing than, say, a Beogram 4000 or even a later Beogram. And they still charge megabucks for it, limited production numbers and high quality make for a damned pricey table. Add the complexity of a Beogram and the price will be eye bleeding. And the Technics will take any cartridge.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 3:25 PM

So true Jeff - it would be £5000+.

That's an interesting one Mark. Apple has done it with its iPhone SE but that is insulting in a way bringing back an old 4 year old design for maximum profit.  The Nissan idea is cool - loved those Figaro's in 1990. Just awesome :)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 3:29 PM

Maybe for such classics, Mark, you'd like to set up a 'post your Beograd thread'. Along with favourite album covers!

I remember my parents having a Bob Dylan cover of a painted face. I love the Prince Purple Rain artwork :)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Mar 23 2016 3:29 PM

Damn autocorect - BEOGRAM 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS