Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Avant 32 Questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member
BeoHound9000 Posted: Sat, Jul 21 2012 6:44 AM

After four years of casual searching, I found, bought, and delivered, a pristine Avant 32 (USA Version) complete with B&O dust cover. I absolutely love this TV. Its classic yet endlessly modern looking at the same time. This model is from 2000. Unfortunately, it did not come with a Users Guide and the one offered from B&O's website isn't specific to this model and offers no help in anything more complicated than changing the aspect ratio.

This is what I am dealing with at the moment: I only have it hooked up to my DVD player (Sony NS999ES) through the component RGB input under the electron gun. DVD menus are dark with sometimes indecipherable text. Some DVDs play normally while others will have terrible dark semi-transparent lines that muck up the image. It looks like a video camera recording a CRT- the scan lines are visible and scroll slowly. I have yet to test via the normal composite video connection because I don't want to loose the stunning clarity. 

I switched the DVD player output from progressive to interlaced and the image vanished. I have a feeling I am missing something and was hoping people in the know could offer some advice. I had read about the amazing ability of this TV to process many inputs, control just about any attached device, and so on, but so far I have not had any luck. I appreciate any help.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 3:02 PM

I remember the US Avant was based on the Beosystem 1.

So check out the products section - user  guides and manuals - dedicated AV processor.
LINK

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:22 PM

Join as a silver member and you will find the US Avant manual on site!

Peter

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Thank you both for your replies. It seems I need to buy a membership to access the user guides and manuals. I take it the Avant manual I will see as a paid member is more substantial than the lite-guide that is available from B&O's website?

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
I have my dvd connected to my avant via S video.

Looks and works great!
Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 4:20 PM

Arguably the best tv ever made IMO. 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 4:30 PM

Two US Avant user manuals on site - the 16 page set up guide, which is probably the one on the B&O site, and the 52 page reference guide. There is also the service manual.

Peter

peria
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Bronze Member
peria replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 1:35 AM

I thought the RGB connection on a US Avant was RGB out only for connection to say a projector. Surprised you even see a picture. Still, I recommend that you leave RGB alone and stick to either Composite, S-video, or Component. I still use composite, and I think DVDs look great. I am considering a BV-10 for a variety of reasons, but I just love the Avant after all these years!!!

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member

That was my thought at first as well upon checking out the back of the TV, but its an input.  RGB is Component- in the menus, the Avant recognizes the input as YPbPr. The TV recognizes the DVD player as a Set Top Box (which is what I want to change) It makes sense since the RGB input is labeled as Digital TV and being designed in a European market, B&O must have seen the digital future while others were still using coax. I'll try the other video inputs. After all this is could be my DVD player or some setting in (of which is has many more than I know how to use). I'm glad to hear that the image quality still looks good via composite and s-video.

I've had a 10-46 for a little over a year now and it is quite a TV. Great image & video, strong sound, excellent looks, and clever design. It looks amazing on the motorized stand but I'm with you, I love the Avant as well. Its design is simply perfect and the speakers are tremendous. Nothing like an electron gun!

TonySwish
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
TonySwish replied on Wed, Nov 11 2020 2:17 AM

I'm having the same issue with the Digital Input (AKA Component) when it's hooked up to my PS3 which is outputting a 480p signal.

There are these dark/transparent bands that are most noticeable during movies but can be seen during gaming too.

Has anyone else has this issue or any other problems with their Component input on an Avant 32? I'm also having issues getting 480i input as well through component.

TonySwish
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
TonySwish replied on Wed, Nov 11 2020 2:17 AM

I'm having the same issue with the Digital Input (AKA Component) when it's hooked up to my PS3 which is outputting a 480p signal.

There are these dark/transparent bands that are most noticeable during movies but can be seen during gaming too.

Has anyone else has this issue or any other problems with their Component input on an Avant 32? I'm also having issues getting 480i input as well through component.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS