Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Razlaw's rere speakers with bl 9's

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 Posted: Fri, Mar 2 2012 8:02 AM

Razlaw, this is my third attempt to follow on your thread from 'ye ole' forum.

As you are on a suspended wooden floor I cannot imagine it will make any difference how hard a wood you would use. Obviously you do not want boxwood which has the density of polystyrene. A medium to hard wood will suffice.

If you want a slab of natural wood 8 inches(23cm) thick it would look nice but you will need to order it kiln dried to the usual humidity level in your house. Otherwise it will dry out split and warp.

Medium density Plywood;hard to get a nice finish on but easy to cut to any shape, you could get an oval shape to reflect the bl9. It will not have drying warping issues. I am guessing in north America it is supplied in sheets of 8'x4' in different thickness. If it is available in 1inch, you get a machine shop to cut you 8 shapes and glue them. Before gluing you can experiment with the stacking height's to see what suits your surround sound set up.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 12:08 PM

Thanks!  You speak of slabs of wood. I am thinking I may want to raise the speakers s much as 12-18 inches. That would require something more like a traditional speaker stand. I am thinking perhaps a cube, which would be hollow. Are you saying I would not want a hollow structure such as a cube under the 9s? 

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 5:56 PM

I think you are now into small table height. Not sure I would use a cube, but there is only one way to find out ! Try it.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:15 PM

I certainly wouldn't stand them on an empty hollow box - the bass driver would excite the box and produce who knows what manner of booming from the box.

If a box is required I would make sure the box was as rigid and as acoustically dead as possible. You're aiming for it to sound like banging a marble plinth rather than banging a tea chest.

Ban boring signatures!

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:21 PM

I am starting to think it may be better to just choose Beolab 3s.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS