Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

A turntable, tonearm and stand for $135k!

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Barry Santini Posted: Sat, Jun 11 2016 12:29 PM
Yep, reviewed in the new The Absolute Sound.

The review reminds me of the scene in Spamalot where King Arthur and his men have left a giant wooden rabbit at the gate of a French castle. The French review from afar what the purpose of the rabbit could be (In this case, a failed attempt at a Trojan horse).

Finally one dolt exclaims: "Perhaps it is....aaart?"

B
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 11 2016 12:58 PM

The price of some "high end" LP rigs boggles the imagination, all to play an obsolescent format that will never be rid of its endemic problems no matter how expensive the turntable. But then, the price of some CD players is flabbergasting as well, I really don't grok the ultra high end.

There was a story about the old Marantz 10B tuner, a legendary piece, written by a service tech back in the day when they were new. It involved aligning the tuner and how much to charge. He said he approached it with trepidation, because he thought it'd be much harder than a "normal" tuner. It wasn't, but was quite easy as the design was well thought out. He started charging 50 dollars for it, people grumbled and one person actually took it to the Marantz dealer, paid 175 bucks, and brought it back and said see how much better it is now. It was identically aligned. He raised his price to 75 dollars, people grumbled "well it's OK for the price." Then he raised his price to 125 dollars, and people said thank god, a good alignment at a good price. He asked the Marantz dealer tech about it, and he said yeah, it's nothing special with regards to how you align it. Why so expensive then? The other dealer's tech replied, that's what they want to pay, so we let them.

People are strange.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jun 11 2016 12:58 PM

Thread moved.
Please keep the General Forum Section on our main topic.

Martin

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Dillen:

Thread moved. Please keep the General Forum Section on our main topic.

Martin

Ok
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS