Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

bmw minis are not cool

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 2 Followers

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 Posted: Wed, Jul 25 2012 9:48 AM

Minis are not cool,were I live there is loads of young girls in them,as they all copy each other.Like every man and his dog with iphones,its sad when alot of people copy each other.I would rather have a alfa mito than a mini.

Dont even get me started about men and minis,thats even uncooler and says something else about you.lol

Thats why b&0 appeals not everyone will have it,regardless of price,as minis are so overpriced.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:19 AM

Be careful, Paul W drives a Mini and loves it.

You're right about the Mito. Decent car.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:36 AM

that says it all lol

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:59 AM

I wonder what car Flappo drives?

Hubbe
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
Hubbe replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 11:15 AM

Most car manufactures today focus on lifestyle image. They are more or less the same except on the surface. That includes brands like the Alfa Romeo. I´ve had one for 8 years as a daily driver. At that time Alfa Romeo still had that wonderful V6 3 liters engine. I had a hard time changing car. It was far from perfect, but that engine alone made up for all the imperfections, like it was not made for the scandinavian winters. Today Alfa Romeo is just like an Audi more or less. There are hints of the italian flair, but most of it are filtered away. Todays customers want a car to be more german. Beats me, but that is the way it is. Today one must buy a Ferrari or Maserati to get an engine that charismatic like that old Alfa Romeo engine. Look at the new Porsche 911 or BMW M5 and some other cars out there. They use the sound system in the car to transfer sound from the engine to the cabin. Thats just not right I think.

One thing BMW did right with the Mini was that they made it fun to drive. Nice steering and roadholding. To bad the engine was not as good as the rest of the car. Since everyone bought one it became uncool in my eyes. The same can be said about the Fiat 500. I was thinking of buying a Abart 500 with the SS-kit, but one test-drive with the 500 made me think otherwise. You sat to high in the seat and it had that awful electric steering. It was nowhere as fun as an old Peugeot 205 GTI.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:02 PM

Personally I think buying this or that brand doesn't make anyone cool. I have an Iphone because I like it as a tool, I couldn't care less if it was cool or not. Same with the car (BMW) and all the other stuff I own. Just my two cents...

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:16 PM

I think some of these people get to get out more. College would be good start!

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:38 PM

moxxey:

I wonder what car Flappo drives?

A SOAPbox (manufactured by SOny and APple)

Sorry, could not resist...

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 4:05 PM

Just sold mine after 2 years.

But it was a very nice driving experience.Wink

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 5:10 PM

I dont understand your statement(get to get out more)?

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 5:20 PM

When it comes to cars, it does make a difference in how people stereotype the owner. Audi tt,boxsters,mx-5,mini etc  we have all heard the jokes.My family own 7 dealerships which sell over 10 franchises,and believe me I have spoke to loads of men who like these cars mentioned,but would not have one as they said they would be laughed at etc.In my eyes you are not a true petrolhead unless you have had a alfa with all its faults

.Its the same with audi,they have came along way over the years,as they were never in the same league as bmw,mercedes.I appreciate alot of different cars,and admit bmw is a better drivers car than mercedes,but still think mercedes is more classy and are getting back to good built quality after their dodgy africa years.

Saying that alot of the so called tools who used to drive bmws,are driving audis now thinking they are kings of the road.I have owned m3s in the past which were fantastic cars,but pure chav magnets.Thats why I like the amgs,understaed class.

my opinion though.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 5:24 PM

An  FSO,or a mini like paul,with static strips,fluffy dice and( I love apple) sunvisor lol, they are 2 peas in a pod

.I wonder what car Flappo drives?

ps its only  internet banter flappo.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 5:37 PM

One thing BMW did right with the Mini was that they made it fun to drive. Nice steering and roadholding. To bad the engine was not as good as the rest of the car. Since everyone bought one it became uncool in my eyes. The same can be said about the Fiat 500. I was thinking of buying a Abart 500 with the SS-kit, but one test-drive with the 500 made me think otherwise. You sat to high in the seat and it had that awful electric steering. It was nowhere as fun as an old Peugeot 205 GTI.

I agree with the 500 it used to be cool.We sell fiat, and have been selling alot of the gucci edition to young girls with rich parents,who have traded in minis for them,They have bought them, as they match their habdbags,how sad is that.Thats the young generation now.I love renault 5 turbos,rs turbos etc when I was younger,but times move on and so does money.My first car was a citroen ax gt loved it,had loads since though,as income increased.
To moxxey same with watches its been along time since I was in to my tissot rock and woodwatches,thats were it all started.
butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 5:42 PM

I have been selling alot of the gucci edition to young girls with rich parents,who have traded in minis for them,They have bought them, as they match their habdbags,how sad is that.Thats the young generation now.I love renault 5 turbos,rs turbos etc when I was younger,but times move on and so does money.My first car was a citroen ax gt loved it,had loads since though,as income increased. To moxxey same with watches its been along time since I was in to my tissot rock and woodwatches,thats were it all started

Hubbe
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
Hubbe replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 6:07 PM

Butch1 could you please edit your last post. I can´t read the whole text.

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 2:08 PM

Actually I drive a Mercedes S class.

I also have a smart car at my disposal as a town runabout.

So now you know

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 2:17 PM

I bet Paul W gets more chicks than most of us have had hot dinners with his Mini and his Macs.

Everyone knows girl's love an iToy ( ooer missis ) to hold onto on the back seat.

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 2:19 PM

What's wrong with the Mini?  The Cooper S is great fun to drive.  How is it copying each other?  

They're not overpriced.  You pay for what you get, just like B&O gear.

Is it cool to drive a Hyundai then?  Are all the clueless tight *** skaffs copying each other?

What rubbish you talk Sir!!!  Stick out tongue

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 2:21 PM

They're made by BMW so they're obviously well made. I like them.

I just doubt I'd fit in one :D

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 2:46 PM

Wink in my view there's only 1 MINI and that is MIni - Mini, just like VW beetles, etc (don't really care whom builds them now) soon be B&O replicas on market as well UnsureIck!

and as for everyone copying others - its down to human/sheep nature Whistle and lack of imagination in general

Peace all

bob

butch1:

Minis are not cool,were I live there is loads of young girls in them,as they all copy each other.Like every man and his dog with iphones,its sad when alot of people copy each other.I would rather have a alfa mito than a mini.

Dont even get me started about men and minis,thats even uncooler and says something else about you.lol

Thats why b&0 appeals not everyone will have it,regardless of price,as minis are so overpriced.

Don't worry - be Happy

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 3:33 PM

I have had 3 Minis - wonderful cars! However all where real 'minis' made by BL! Last one was an H reg Cooper. The new ones are huge - same wheelbase as the original Land Rover Discovery. Not much mini about those! I don't however have a problem with anyone driving one though! If you like the look, why not. The fact there are so many about suggests they are probably rather good!

Peter

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 8:02 PM

What's wrong with the Mini?  The Cooper S is great fun to drive.  How is it copying each other?  

They're not overpriced.  You pay for what you get, just like B&O gear.

Is it cool to drive a Hyundai then?  Are all the clueless tight *** skaffs copying each other?

What rubbish you talk Sir!!

I said young girls were I stay drive loads of minis,as they copy each other like a fashion fad,like white cars are common again.

I personally think £20k for a mini is overpriced you can get so much more car elsewhere and be more individual.

yes it can be cool to drive a hyundai/kia they make fantastic cars which are more reliable than bmw,and at least your thinking out of the box,if you choose one,alot of kias are designed by peter schreyer who designed audi tt,beetle etc.

How do I talk rubbish when Me and my family have been in the car industry for 30 years and sell over 10 franchises including mini?I am speaking from experience.

Granted a cooper s is quite fun to drive,but so is a mazda mx-5 which is the worlds best selling 2 seater sports car.your point is?

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 8:07 PM

Actually I drive a Mercedes S class.

I also have a smart car at my disposal as a town runabout.

So now you know

good choices flappo had s350cdi for while good commuting car,also had a smart fourfour brabus also,cracking little car and better than a cooper s in my eyes.

I dont know about paul w getting loads off chicks in his mini,but were I stay they would think you were gay if you drove a mini,must be a up north thing.

ps not saying he is,but thats the impressions minis and men give up here.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 8:42 PM

Bob:
in my view there's only 1 MINI and that is MIni - Mini, just like VW beetles, etc (don't really care whom builds them now) soon be B&O replicas on market as well UnsureIck!

B&O has already made their own replica (of a 60's radio) - it's called Beolit 12 Wink

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:54 PM

Have had an MX-5.  Difference is one feels like a European car to drive, nice and solid, the other is a tin can with too much road noise (although fun to thrash).  Would have my Bertone X1-9 back any day over the MX-5!  Hyundai and Kia are revolting Korean junk.  It is the same as comparing Teac to B&O in reference to their cars and European cars.  I must say I agree with you on Italian cars.  So much character.  Stick out tongue

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 11:26 PM

You must be mistaken as all hyundai/kia are european I have been to the factory they are built in slovakia,and are the 4th biggest manufacturer in the world,I have numerous big brands traded in for kia with their pioneering 7 year warranty,inc bmw,mercedes audi,range rover etc as customers are fed up with being let down with them.

land rover is the least reliable manufacturer again,and have had 14 sports traded against kia sportage and sorentos.As for a mx-5 being a tin can of course they are going to be noiser to a mini,as its a true sports car were you feel part of the car,also they are made by one of the top 5 manufacturers for years mazda,its even in the guiness book of records..I wouldnt compare teac to b&o they are nothing alike,also teac is well built and have various components costing in the thousands.

Also why is customers choosing  £26k sportages instead of vw tiguan,bmw x3 etc and have several models on waiting lists,it must be different down under.I dont rely want to get into a debate over the car industry,but I do it for a living and its my job to know the industry,more than consumers.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 1:02 AM

butch1:
You must be mistaken as all hyundai/kia are european I have been to the factory they are built in slovakia,and are the 4th biggest manufacturer in the world

Allow me to make a comment here...

As You might have noticed, Rex is from Melbourne - which means that the Hyuandai and Kia's HE knows are maybe not build in Europe...Wink

Afterall they ARE Korean companies. They do have manufacturing plants all over the world. So I doubt ALL their cars are build in Slovakia...Hmm

But - I could be wrong...

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 1:19 AM

well that's more like re-make (bit like Bat- Mobil) Big Smile I was thinking about others creating B&O's just like BMW (which i love, when it comes down to bikes - not so much cars) and so on, but it isn't important as many mentioned they are rather good as smart cars or Toyota Yaris would have appeal to some Wink

Thanks goodness we live in free world and can exercise free speech or to express own opinions Whistle 2/3 of the world doesn't have that luxury :)

peace

bob

Steffen:

B&O has already made their own replica (of a 60's radio) - it's called Beolit 12 Wink

Don't worry - be Happy

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:06 AM

A true sports car doesn't have to have excessive road noise because of lack of soundproofing.  

Look at Porsche / Audi or BMW for instance.  The noise is from the exhaust / engine, not the road!!.  

Comparing Teac to B&O, do you not get I am making a comparison between good and rubbish?? Stick out tongue

Hyundai and Kia are renowned as absolute el cheapo budget (false economy I say) rubbish cars in Australia.  

Although they are impoving their product in leaps and bounds, as did the Japanese in the 70' & 80's and continuing......

Comparing them to BMW is an ABSOLUTE joke.  

The Korean tin can junk will be full of rattles and drive like sloppy banana once it has 80K on the clock (the BMW will not).

Customers are probably choosing 26k sportages because they are clueless about cars as a lot of consumers are, or easily talked into a sale (dumb) when they set foot into the first car dealer!!  I have seen MANY people do it!!  It makes me want to cry for them!!

No offence, just because you work in the industry, doesn't mean you are more knowledgeable than a consumer.  

Your opiniion is just that, an opinion!!  Grrrrrrrrrr!!

My opinion for the day!!  Stick out tongue

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:21 AM

Steffen.  I have never met a Dane that was wrong!!  

After all - that is what this site is all about.  Beautiful Danish design!!  Smile

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member

Kia, Hyundai etc -

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member

Mini, BMW, Audi etc -

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 6:04 AM

Rex:

Mini, BMW, Audi etc -

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

(glad you couldn't)

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Worrying about what others think of your car, is in my view uncool In itself.

My favourite car of all time was a green 97 Saab 9000 Griffin which I had chipped. To most kids it was the automotive equivalent of a grandfather clock, with a daft fat bloke at the helm.

Oh to see their faces disappearing in the rear view mirror, as it shat all over their fashionable "hot" hatch.

Now that was cool :-)

Current car lwb Nissan Patrol with a tv in the roof.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 7:45 AM

Worrying about what others think of your car, is in my view uncool In itself.

Exactly!!  That goes for everything in life.  As long as you like it and get enjoyment out of it... WHO CARES!!!!  Smile

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Our two first cars were minis, as in my first car was a mini, and then the first car we had as a couple was another mini

But we gave up that mini once our son was born, 'cause the boot could only hold two trunks at once

Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile 

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Very good

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 11:28 AM

Hi there,

thanks for sharing - good on you, I used to have several VW Beetles in my life time and have use time2time of proper Mini, hence will find impossible to compare nor refer to any new ones as Beetle or BMW Mini (as per space - Mini surprisingly seem offer more space than Beetle did)

In fairness it's bit similar to stages in or lives (hippies became politicians, lawyers and bankers) and general progress.

Personally believe that the need to compare to others and drive with it isn't cool all together, but I'm old (fashioned) and grumpiness is part of ageing to perfection Wink

I wasn't here in old times and even these days there seem be room for improvements, (I'm realist and noticing changes in our lives - not all to better as the general needs are changing same way, software is perfect example - new browser every 2 weeks, Beta OS passed for finished, etc),  but said that - I wouldn't find many good people I did here and being somewhat accepted makes me feel epic.

All the best guys

bob

elephant:

Our two first cars were minis, as in my first car was a mini, and then the first car we had as a couple was another mini

But we gave up that mini once our son was born, 'cause the boot could only hold two trunks at once

Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile 

Don't worry - be Happy

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 6:20 PM

Yes steffen I worded it wrong yes they are a korean company but do have numerous factories,but the ones I mainly deal with are designed for the european market and the tops ones come from slovakian factory,you have kia motors in usa which are built in west point.The point I was making is the company is korean but the cars are for the european market and are desined and built there,

B&o is danish but are produced in different factories inc china.He was saying that the mini is better because it is european  and the kia is korean junk,which it is not.The top kias are designed and built in europe just the same.

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 6:32 PM

A true sports car doesn't have to have excessive road noise because of lack of soundproofing.  

Look at Porsche / Audi or BMW for instance.  The noise is from the exhaust / engine, not the road!!.  

Comparing Teac to B&O, do you not get I am making a comparison between good and rubbish?? Stick out tongue

Hyundai and Kia are renowned as absolute el cheapo budget (false economy I say) rubbish cars in Australia.  

Although they are impoving their product in leaps and bounds, as did the Japanese in the 70' & 80's and continuing......

Comparing them to BMW is an ABSOLUTE joke.  

The Korean tin can junk will be full of rattles and drive like sloppy banana once it has 80K on the clock (the BMW will not).

Customers are probably choosing 26k sportages because they are clueless about cars as a lot of consumers are, or easily talked into a sale (dumb) when they set foot into the first car dealer!!  I have seen MANY people do it!!  It makes me want to cry for them!!

No offence, just because you work in the industry, doesn't mean you are more knowledgeable than a consumer.  

Your opiniion is just that, an opinion!!  GrrrrrrrrrrMy opinion for the day!!  

Try a bmw with run flats thats road noise,

How can a kia rio with 7 year warranty £0 tax 90mpg £499 for 5 services for £12k be false economy?False economy is buying a used bmw because of the badge and then spending ££££££s on vanos,swirl flaps,electrical etc problems.

Your comments say it all stick to holdens mate,Its funny as we have mini,bmw,franchises aswell and the clueless customers you talk of have been customers for years and have had bmws etc and are very clued up and wealthy,and they buy kia?I have owned and driven most of the brands you mention,look at the stats kia are more reliable than all the brands you mention fact.You are a classic consumer though sold by the marketing hype of the big brands.Also why has mazda sold more mx-5s than tt,z3/4,slk.boxster etc?I have been in charge of 4 franchises for 14 years I would be ashamed if I never knew more about the industry than a consumer.

I have owned and drive the high-end german brands,but wouldnt call kia rubbish,they are more reliable than all the top german brands,and if you are not a petrolhead,they make a fantastic buy.

Page 1 of 3 (87 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS