Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bicycles and more human powered vehicles ...

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 0 Followers

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member
Peter the Biker Posted: Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:10 PM

As I could watch in the "Watches" thread in the last days of July 2016, there are several BeoWorlders riding a bicycle and enjoying it. Therefore I open this thread for all interested in bicycles and other human powered vehicles.

Here I am sitting on my Speedmachine built by HP Velotechnik at the front door of a Danish company that is the reason for this forum.

Peter the biker

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:23 PM

In the eighties my brother was working for a Bicycle magazine and we went to the Human powered vehicle championships where I'll never forget seeing the Vector machine. It was a fantastic recumbent by a team from MIT , Boeing etc. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

W

Simonbeo:

In the eighties my brother was working for a Bicycle magazine and we went to the Human powered vehicle championships where I'll never forget seeing the Vector machine. It was a fantastic recumbent by a team from MIT , Boeing etc. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

People involved in this machine are still alive and kicking cycling ...

Somebody is running the site www.droplimits.com

Some small models of the vector are shown here.

Peter the biker

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 10:19 PM

It just looked so good. Timeless!

http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/06-winter-1981.pdf

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Flere replied on Thu, Jul 28 2016 11:05 PM
This is me on my Santos Travelmaster 2.9.

This is my other hobby, next to listening to music on my B&O System.

Did 2500km on day trips in one year.

And it is good for my health.

Best regards,

Flere

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 4:21 AM

Lovely bicycle, Flere.

Lovely recumbent Peter the Biker.

Amazing human powered vehicle, Simonbeo.

Paul W, I'd love to see a pic of your Cervelo S3... I'll be posting one of mine when I get home...

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 3:19 PM

Here's mine...

BMC TeamMachine SLR02 48cm / Shimano Ultegra Di2 w/D-fly / 50/34 front 12/28 rear / speedplay zero pedals with 1/4" extended spindles / Selle Royal Sirio Saddle / Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite Wheels / Conti Grand Prix 4000S II 23C tires / Elite Cannibal Cages / Lezyne tool bottle and pump on the seat tube / Wahoo ELEMNT head unit

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 5:49 PM
Ok. So now you've all made me want to get a bike..
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 6:20 PM

That BMC is very nice!

If B&O made bikes whose would they look like?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 9:23 PM

If B&O made bikes, the damn wheels would probably drop off at high speed Simeobeo :) or the brakes would randomly fail :)  It's one brand i'd never buy if they made bikes which of course they do not.

Sal i will take some pix. I never ever the my phone out with me cycling but i'll make an exception just to take some pics. Sadly I use my mountain bike 98% of the time as I like to trek along the farmers fields and through parks. The Cervelo is for the summer evening road rides - most of the time it stands looking pretty in my lounge :) The mountain bike is used daily :) My Marin mountain bike lasted 22 years!!! I had it from my early teens!

Fiere very cool :)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 9:25 PM

Sal lovely bike PLUS You are using SpeedPlay pedals too. They are brilliant aren't they! I love them! 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Jul 29 2016 10:03 PM

Paul W:

Sal lovely bike PLUS You are using SpeedPlay pedals too. They are brilliant aren't they! I love them! 

I use Look pedals on my Battaglin ( campag Veloce equipped)road bike but I generally use my Bianchi mountain bike. And my touring bike from the eighties which I did the LandsEnd To John-o-Groats on is currently getting restored, including the Royce hubbed wheels.

B&O is more likely to be Campagnolo than Shimano then ?

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 5:31 AM

I really do love the Speedplay Pedals. I do think, though that it has a lot to do with the fact that the shop I purchased the bike from included them at the outset with the total package I purchased. Later on, I learned that they're the only road-specific double sided pedal. Had they included Look or Shimano, single sided pedals, perhaps I'd have preferred them. But now, knowing that I don't have to fiddle with my feet as I move away from a stoplight, and I can thoroughly adjust the float to suit really is a plus. They're not the high end titanium models, but they do the job. Also, it was relatively easy to remove the stock spindles and replace them at home with slightly longer ones myself after my bike fit, which saved me a bundle!

I always have my phone with me when I ride, not only for emergencies, but my cycle computer is paired with my phone, and it receives and displays notifications, and other info as well. The Wahoo ELEMNT, a relatively new entry to the head unit market, and is totally modern in the way it interfaces. All setup is done using your mobile device using a graphical user interface. I ditched my former Garmin Edge 520 for the ELEMNT and never looked back. Besides, the display is worth the price of admission alone. THE BEST LCD display I have ever seen - it is monochrome, but I can see it in ANY condition outside.

On another topic, what are your thoughts on SRAM Red's wireless groupset? 

I like the fact that I can tinker with the functionality of Di2 using my computer, and later this year, a software update will bring synchro shift to current Ultegra Di2 and Dura Ace Di2 groupsets -- I'm super exited about that. 

Also excited that Shimano also announced a 11-30 cassette FINALLY. There are a lot of hills in SoCal, and I find that an 11-32 which I've used as a rescue gear seems to have too many big jumps, so I've experimented with making my own using existing shimano cassettes. So I've enjoyed mixing and matching cogs from the following cassettes: 11-28 / 11-32 / 12-28, to make custom cassettes to see what works best... I've gone from the extreme 14-32, to 14-28, but currently settled on 12-28 as the best mix of gears knowing that in my area I'll never EVER use 50/11. But as I mentioned above, I'm excited for the 11-30, so that I can perhaps try a 12-30 as my "perfect" cassette!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 5:39 AM

As for B&O making bikes, they'd have to parallel boutique bicycle brands. Not even the top of the top, B&O would make a bicycle above that of Pinarello. I can't vouch for the quality though, but I'd have to imagine the materials to be top notch or at least hope they'd be. 

That being said, I am thinking of a commuter bicycle, and have lusted after the Schindelhauer Ludwig. Too bad the only dealer is across the country. HEY! Sort of like B&O!!! (very very few dealers in the US) Stick out tongue

Getting back on topic though, I think a B&O bike would be differentiated by components, the Frame & fork shape and design would be B&O, but using Gates Belt drive, perhaps electronic shifting with Shimano Alfine Di2, a fizik saddle (something svelte, and not very comfortable, lol).

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 10:25 AM
My human powered vehicle from last night

--mika

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 6:19 PM

Sal:
That being said, I am thinking of a commuter bicycle, and have lusted after the Schindelhauer Ludwig.

There's a dealer not to far away from my home. I tested it once but because of the drive belt, not my favorite.

My dream bike is coming from Paris constructed dans les Atelier de Alex Singer (http://www.cycles-alex-singer.fr). Ordering and delivery takes years Sad

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 6:35 PM

Chris, what didn't you like about the Schindelhauer? Congrats on your dream bike as well, very special!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 7:17 PM

Sal some amazing comments and thoughts BUT for me, the exact opposite to what cycling is all about. I don't want software updates, sat navy, iPhones, displays and electronically aided man made rubbish. For me, my cycling is the same as it was when I was two years old - to use my body pedalling, just me and my bike on a unknown adventure, taking in the fresh air and smiling at people along the way. I escape WiFi signals and I am totally uncontactable whilst out on my bike - it's my soul time and its a time to see wild animals and nature. It's a time to connect with nature something that is missing from this collapsing world of Brexit, Trump and all other closed doors to society.

Also B&O making a bicycle would be the same as Bentley making a cycle - totally missing the point of what cycling is all about!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Jul 30 2016 7:54 PM

Paul W:

Sal some amazing comments and thoughts BUT for me, the exact opposite to what cycling is all about. I don't want software updates, sat navy, iPhones, displays and electronically aided man made rubbish. For me, my cycling is the same as it was when I was two years old - to use my body pedalling, just me and my bike on a unknown adventure, taking in the fresh air and smiling at people along the way. I escape WiFi signals and I am totally uncontactable whilst out on my bike - it's my soul time and its a time to see wild animals and nature. It's a time to connect with nature something that is missing from this collapsing world of Brexit, Trump and all other closed doors to society.

Also B&O making a bicycle would be the same as Bentley making a cycle - totally missing the point of what cycling is all about!

You won't be ordering this cycling gear then Paul ?

http://www.stbbrackets.co.uk/en-GB/cycling-kit

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Visiting Copenhagen on my vacation I got impressed of the bicycle culture there, and upon returning I just had to get one. I decided for a pipe and slippers bike, where one can ride in style in upright sitting position like a real gentleman, 6 gears all forward, and space for a shopping basket on the baggage carrier. After 25 years I am riding again

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 8:16 AM

Chris:
My dream bike is coming from Paris constructed dans les Atelier de Alex Singer (http://www.cycles-alex-singer.fr). Ordering and delivery takes years Sad

Chris I was interested in getting a Singer but gave up quickly once I tried getting a "custom" frame. I asked for round blade forks and got the reply "you get them , we will build it" . I sourced 3 types from Reynolds and then Singer tells me they only use oval fork blades......

There is a Paris club with a big following of Singers, they rode as a team on the last Paris-Brest-Paris, one of them for the 9th time. 

lf I was going for a steel custom frame now I would go to Japan or north America.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 9:10 AM

Chris:

Sal:
That being said, I am thinking of a commuter bicycle, and have lusted after the Schindelhauer Ludwig.

There's a dealer not to far away from my home. I tested it once but because of the drive belt, not my favorite.

Those Alex Singer bikes are a replica of the era of my Roy Thame Reynolds 531 bike.My father had this custom built for my eighteenth birthday. I'm restoring it after it sat gathering dust for a couple of decades. Anybody know how to renovate pitted chrome forks and rear triangle? 

Condor cycles in London still make beautiful custom frames in steel.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 11:33 AM
Søren Mexico:

Visiting Copenhagen on my vacation I got impressed of the bicycle culture there, and upon returning I just had to get one. I decided for a pipe and slippers bike, where one can ride in style in upright sitting position like a real gentleman, 6 gears all forward, and space for a shopping basket on the baggage carrier. After 25 years I am riding again

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Love it Soren.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 11:53 AM

Let's not forget the timeless Danish bicycle http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/pedersenbikes.htm

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 2:04 PM
Simonbeo:

Let's not forget the timeless Danish bicycle http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/pedersenbikes.htm

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Fantastic Simon. Not seen those before. What do they cost?
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 2:56 PM

They seem to start at 2000 euros. Interesting article here http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/pedersen-bikes-strange-and-not-unpleasant-experience

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Sal:

That being said, I am thinking of a commuter bicycle, and have lusted after the Schindelhauer Ludwig. Too bad the only dealer is across the country. HEY!

For me the next shop selling the Schindelhauer Ludwig is closer than the next B&O shop (B&O 300 m, the bicycle shop 50 m) (Yes, meter, no kilometer)

Peter the biker

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jul 31 2016 9:27 PM

Not a pretty bike? Perhaps it's the mudguards.

There's another Danish brand of bike; https://biomega.com/design/

Designed in some cases by an Australian , Marc Newson. Interesting alternative to mudguards on their bikes. They have a wide formed down tube.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Simonbeo:

Let's not forget the timeless Danish bicycle http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/pedersenbikes.htm

Nor let us forget Carl Georg Rasmussen and his LEITRA (http://www.leitra.dk). His one man company built about 350 LEITRAs in about 3 decades. And he still repairs and maks trips through Europe, e.g. in April 1.000 km in 8 days from Købnhavn to Germersheim at the age of 81. The picture shows him at the age of 78 at the start of a 140km trip at 30+°C where he showed me how to do it without getting exhausted.

Peter the biker

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:53 AM

Peter the Biker:

For me the next shop selling the Schindelhauer Ludwig is closer than the next B&O shop (B&O 300 m, the bicycle shop 50 m) (Yes, meter, no kilometer)

How wonderful! Oh, my wife and I were just talking about what it would be like to live in a country where bicycling was for transport was taken just as seriously if not more as travel by car. Lucky you that you can savor the finer things in life without venturing too far from home.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 9:21 AM

Simonbeo:
Anybody know how to renovate pitted chrome forks and rear triangle? 

Chrome plating removal would need professional help. I have used argos.com and Dave Yeats cycles comes recommended .

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 12:51 PM

valve1:

Simonbeo:

Chrome plating removal would need professional help. I have used argos.com and Dave Yeats cycles comes recommended .

Thanks. I'm hoping I don't need to get the frame and forks rechromed as I remember being told that the acids involved were pretty tough and not necessarily good for the brazing. The pitting is only minor so it should be possible to polish the tubing and stabilise it's condition.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 12:56 PM

Sal:

Peter the Biker:

How wonderful! Oh, my wife and I were just talking about what it would be like to live in a country where bicycling was for transport was taken just as seriously if not more as travel by car. Lucky you that you can savor the finer things in life without venturing too far from home.

It is great to be able to use the bicycle as a vehicle and it looks like it's possible to use a HPV on the roads in Denmark. The last recumbents I saw were at the Herne Hill Velodrome before our club session. Visibility is too big an issue on the roads around here although I occasionally see an enclosed two-wheeler being used.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Aug 2 2016 5:17 AM

Sal:

Chris, what didn't you like about the Schindelhauer? Congrats on your dream bike as well, very special!

Drove some 10km with this bike and the first thing I noticed, I don't like the drivetrain with the carbon belt and Shimano Alfine speedhub. It runs a bit stiff, could be because its new.

Maybe it would give me a finer experience if the bike was mounted with a Rohloff speedhub, it was not available because this was a rather expensive option. A very basic bike apart from the special drivetrain, welding could be better finished for that price.

It has fine looks and is a special bike, would I buy it? Probably if the drivetrain would be traditional with a chain and a Rolloff mounted, but keeping this in mind there are so many other options and bike builders to choose from.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Aug 2 2016 6:31 AM

Simonbeo:

There are indeed still many traditional bike builders in the UK, who can build a fine bike, a thing we are almost lost in Belgium and probably in Holland also.

If you are interested in meeting some of the finest craftsman, I invite you to visit the yearly Bristol 'TheUKHandmadeBicycleShow' in april next year. Traditional small builders from the UK and US are showing and presenting there finest examples at this show.

Chroming can be done by yourself with painting but if you really want it to be done firmly, search for a small entrepreneur in your surrounding who does copper plating and electroplating. They mostly are willing to do this in between for you.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member

@Sal

I know this subject has nothing to do with B&O, but Sal was so full of getting a Schindelhauer bike. I received this special version today in my mailbox, special made to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Brooks England, Schindelhauer was asked to build a limited edition Ludwig VIII.

Sorry admins, I could not resist to post this....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Aug 22 2016 7:36 PM

Fantastic Chris. 

No need to excuse yourself for posting something so appealing.

i was looking at a Cinelli fixie for my fleet ,in black, having bought my nine year old a Hoy track bike with brakes!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:25 AM

Chris:

@Sal

I know this subject has nothing to do with B&O, but Sal was so full of getting a Schindelhauer bike. I received this special version today in my mailbox, special made to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Brooks England, Schindelhauer was asked to build a limited edition Ludwig VIII.

Sorry admins, I could not resist to post this....

Holy mackerel! Chris, is this your new bike? I'm SOOOOOO jealous! That's a beauty! Enjoy it! From the look of the frame, you're a tall fellow! 

Did you get the Alfine 8 or 11 speed? You must post on how you like it, a bike review of sorts :-)

No need to apologize to the admins, thanks for posting. 

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Aug 23 2016 5:32 AM

Sal:
Chris, is this your new bike?

No Sal, I wish it was indeed so.

Told you before that my bicycle dealer has Shindelhauer and he send some pictures to my mailbox to warm me up...

He get only one bike from Schindelhauer from this special anniversary series with construction number 40, I give him a call today to know his asking price.

Found the website with the info : Ludwig

Page 1 of 2 (64 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS