Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The one and only 🍻 thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,364 Replies | 4 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant Posted: Sat, Aug 27 2016 11:48 PM
Dedicated to the beers we have in our homes, or had on the road, or best we have ever known.

(( feel free to start parallel threads where "beers" is replaced by "wines", "meals", "chocolates", "lovers" (well maybe not the last one ) ))

In my bar fridge at the moment - mainly left overs from my birthday party - sorry the Chimey Red went fairly quickly - and yes there are two imposters (the ciders):

BeoNut since '75

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
My latest love and addiction Big Smile

At the beginning I thought it was a mere marketing invention, or the artificial construction of a legend. Then, when I first tasted it I discovered it was a real work of art.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 7:53 AM
paolomariano:

My latest love and addiction

... discovered last weekend, just went back and bought the last ones ... hope they reorder before Father's Day !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 7:55 AM
And another view

And I agree with the "ideal for sharing - OR NOT"

BeoNut since '75

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 9:01 AM

Paolomariano pictured the new bottles from Westvleteren monastery.

Hereby a picture of two of my pearls I have in the basement, the Boon cherries is made with real lambic Gueuze and real cherries, look at the date! It tasted so good yesterday evening....

And the Westvleteren is about 14 ! years of age now stored in the old bottles (who I can throw away now, Westvleteren don't want the bottles in return any more. I drink little of this beer, found it a bit to much caramel added. But anyway it did win a whole lot of prizes around the world. I find myself very lucky not to live very far from Westvleteren Big Smile . My summer favourite beer is the Boon cherries.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 10:09 AM

Nobody will EVER have me drink beer, sorry. Sad

And I have tried many, believe me.

A nice single malt, a glass of one of our finest wines - I live in Burgundy - in front of my iMac, however, is a different story. Whistle

Jacques

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Chris:

Paolomariano pictured the new bottles from Westvleteren monastery. Hereby a picture of two of my pearls I have in the basement, the Boon cherries is made with real lambic Gueuze and real cherries, look at the date! It tasted so good yesterday evening.... And the Westvleteren is about 14 ! years of age now stored in the old bottles (who I can throw away now, Westvleteren don't want the bottles in return any more. I drink little of this beer, found it a bit to much caramel added. But anyway it did win a whole lot of prizes around the world. I find myself very lucky not to live very far from Westvleteren . My summer favourite beer is the Boon cherries.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Chris, actually that was not the new bottle. It is just the bottle they use for the beer which is exported. The bottle they use for the beer which is sold at the monastery is the same as your bottle, even nowadays Smile

Do you live near the monastery of Westvleteren?! You are really lucky! You can reserve the beer and get it for just a little bit more than 2.00 Euro a bottle. In Italy I need to pay 20,00 Euro, and I can get only a few... Indifferent
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 12:40 PM
chartz:

A nice single malt, a glass of one of our finest wines

Can always start a thread for those

BeoNut since '75

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:27 PM

elephant:
chartz:

Why not? Are there any wine and whisky lovers here? Stick out tongue

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:27 PM

elephant:
chartz:

Why not? Are there any wine and whisky lovers here? Stick out tongue

Jacques

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:46 PM
chartz:

Nobody will EVER have me drink beer, sorry.

And I have tried many, believe me.

A nice single malt, a glass of one of our finest wines - I live in Burgundy - in front of my iMac, however, is a different story.

Jacques

Personally I enjoy beer, wine and malt whiskey.
Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member

paolomariano:
Chris, actually that was not the new bottle. It is just the bottle they use for the beer which is exported. The bottle they use for the beer which is sold at the monastery is the same as your bottle, even nowadays

Paolomariano, where did you get your Westvleteren in Italy, there is only a very, very limited selling outside the abbey and not always. The info about the bottle I have is correct, it is actually an old bottle and not used anymore. The new ones started from Jan 01 2016 have a ring above and unscripted "Trappistenbier". Look at the picture. And yes, I actually live about one hour drive from the monastery, getting beer is only possible every 60 days, 2 crats and you have to reserve by phone and car numberplate. Luckily we have two cars, so I could get beer every 30 days.

You would think this is easy, but its not. The monks are very strange persons and they pickup the phone very rarely, last time in Februari it took me about 200 attempts to get someone on the phone (no joking), was busy for two hours!.

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Chris:

Paolomariano, where did you get your Westvleteren in Italy, there is only a very, very limited selling outside the abbey and not always. The info about the bottle I have is correct, it is actually an old bottle and not used anymore. The new ones started from Jan 01 2016 have a ring above and unscripted "Trappistenbier". Look at the picture. And yes, I actually live about one hour drive from the monastery, getting beer is only possible every 60 days, 2 crats and you have to reserve by phone and car numberplate. Luckily we have two cars, so I could get beer every 30 days.

You would think this is easy, but its not. The monks are very strange persons and they pickup the phone very rarely, last time in Februari it took me about 200 attempts to get someone on the phone (no joking), was busy for two hours!.

I see... I did not know about the ring!! Thanks!

You are right. It is difficult to get it in Italy. But I have a very good "pusher" Big SmileBig Smile
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member

OK gents, all this talk of Trappist beer has made me take the  plunge.  I love good beer but have never really tried this stuff.  So here is my first....... Cheers!   Flipping heck that's nice.

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 7:12 PM

This reminds me of an old advert!Big Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIutgtzwhAc

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Duels:

OK gents, all this talk of Trappist beer has made me take the plunge. I love good beer but have never really tried this stuff. So here is my first....... Cheers! Flipping heck that's nice.

Duels, this is a good idea for a new "flash your B&O and favorite beer" thread!! SmileSmile
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:33 AM
paolomariano:

Duels, this is a good idea for a new "flash your B&O and favorite beer" thread!!

Not sure this qualifies as favourite but like rum porter it's a relatively recent discovery with this being the second shipment ... which gets opened with tonight's steak

BeoNut since '75

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:37 AM

I wanna be invited Stick out tongue

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member

Rainy afternoon, Julianna Barwick, a Summit Saga IPA.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 7:45 PM
Peter:

Rainy afternoon, Julianna Barwick, a Summit Saga IPA. Peter-

Peter. I am absolutely LOVING that scene.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:13 PM
And the B&O opener was a nice touch

BeoNut since '75

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Wow Peter!! Marvellous!! Do you have one for me ad well?! Big Smile
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 11:59 AM
Local (up country 2 hours from home) craft Irish Stout ... nice ... going well with a takeaway Nepalese curry.

BeoNut since '75

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
paolomariano:

Wow Peter!! Marvellous!! Do you have one for me ad well?!

Absolutely paolomariano! I live less than a mile from the Summit brewery and am well supplied for guests. But today you will have to be in the mood for Steve Winwood and gloomy Minnesota weather.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Sep 12 2016 8:40 PM
Peter:

Absolutely paolomariano! I live less than a mile from the Summit brewery and am well supplied for guests. But today you will have to be in the mood for Steve Winwood and gloomy Minnesota weather.

Peter-

Peter. What happened to the 9000?
Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Duels:

Peter. What happened to the 9000?

Because my Steve Winwood collection is on vinyl!

Bad Weather Brewing Co, Hopromancer IPA. Fantastic brew with a complexity unexpected in an IPA, I think and it comes out of a can! Brewery less than 2 miles from my place.

And personally, I'm not that impressed with the Beosound 9000 sound with my current setups. The ML/MCL converter to passive speakers just sounds compressed and lacking no matter which speakers I used. And running the headphone port of the BS 9000 to a Beomaster 5000 and 3300 was a bit better sounding but the CD50 and even CD3300 both sound better in a side by side comparison this month in those arrangements, although it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I'll give the BS9000 another chance with some active speakers someday but if you want to stop by Duels for a beer you can have it until then.

Whistle
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:44 PM
High wire grapefruit from Magic Rock.

A very nice fresh citrus IPA with some subtle but serious grapefruit infusion. Perfect after a three hour drive home.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:45 PM
Peter:

Because my Steve Winwood collection is on vinyl!

Bad Weather Brewing Co, Hopromancer IPA. Fantastic brew with a complexity unexpected in an IPA, I think and it comes out of a can! Brewery less than 2 miles from my place.

And personally, I'm not that impressed with the Beosound 9000 sound with my current setups. The ML/MCL converter to passive speakers just sounds compressed and lacking no matter which speakers I used. And running the headphone port of the BS 9000 to a Beomaster 5000 and 3300 was a bit better sounding but the CD50 and even CD3300 both sound better in a side by side comparison this month in those arrangements, although it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I'll give the BS9000 another chance with some active speakers someday but if you want to stop by Duels for a beer you can have it until then.

Peter-

I do want to drop by for a beer Peter! Cheers.
Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Duels:

High wire grapefruit from Magic Rock.

A very nice fresh citrus IPA with some subtle but serious grapefruit infusion. Perfect after a three hour drive home.

Very nice shot Duels, interesting to have grapefruit flavor added to an IPA with very American hops. Both cascade and centennial hops are so delightfully grapefruit tasting to me already. I imagine it's a fantastic summer porch beer.

I'm always up for a fellow beoworld member beer and an album or two. Let me know when.TravelBeer
paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member

Beer thread... Is pear cyder allowed as well?! Big Smile

Listening to Jennifer Warnes' Bird on a wire, as suggested by Geoff... Wink

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 18 2016 10:44 PM
Great view

Great song

And hopefully a great drink

BeoNut since '75

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Sep 19 2016 11:31 AM
paolomariano:

Beer thread... Is pear cyder allowed as well?!

Absolutely!
paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
Duels:

Absolutely!

Wink cheers!!
etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member

The A1 has been great this summer on the balcony. Today, clearly, summer is over!

etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Now, that was a quick one - already gone ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

etype76
Not Ranked
Tokyo, Japan
Posts 76
Bronze Member
etype76 replied on Fri, Sep 23 2016 11:37 AM

lol, driving me crazy, my pics are all upside down! I give up.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Upside down - doesn't matter as long as the beer is still in the glas.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

A birthday gift from my son.

From a small brewery on a small island in Denmark, that he visited this summer - one of the many microbreweries here.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Part 1

Very good - excellent Yes - thumbs up

MM

Page 1 of 35 (1365 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS