Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The New Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 1 – The BeoWorld Review..

rated by 0 users
This post has 97 Replies | 2 Followers

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:29 PM
Millemissen:

We have got a problem!

Now we have several options for a speaker in a secondary (or third....) room.

The A9, the A6, an Essence with xx speakers, (the converter with xx speakers), the BS35, the BS1 and the BS2..... and the B&OPlay BT speakers too.

It has become hard to choose which one, we want/need - poor us ;-(

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

The range and choice is fantastic!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

CB:

Hmmmm...

You definitely need a beer MM!

Actually I already had 2.

hMMmm

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:22 PM
CB:

Hmmmm...

You definitely need a beer MM!

There's a new thread for that BeerBeer
Ryan
Not Ranked
Toronto, Canada
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Ryan replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:48 PM

Thanks for the thorough review!

If I took this outside or to a cottage (which I do with the Beolit 12) you know one of my clumsy friends would put their finger right through the tweeter the first time they picked it up.

One of my long-time beefs with B&O is the scarcity of line inputs, I see they are true to form here. No worse than the old link speaker products although I understand you could 'hot wire' those to have a line or powerlink-in. The line in really saves the Beolit 12 - when I know the flaky airplay won't work I plug in a $20 bluetooth receiver.

Whenever I see these indecipherable gesture controlled interfaces I'm reminded of the radio in Hitchhikers Guide

"The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive--you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program" 

Ryan
Not Ranked
Toronto, Canada
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Ryan replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:48 PM

double post

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:45 PM

My apologies if this is already posted here and I missed it, but here is a video showing them in different colors.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bang-olufsen-beosound-1-2-360-degree-speakers/

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 1:01 AM

They look stunning in those unusual pastel like colors.

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 1:36 AM
Thanks Lee, You've made my Day, Because I Love my BeoLit 15. πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘ŒπŸΎπŸ‘ŒπŸΎ
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Millemissen:
We have got a problem!

Now we have several options for a speaker in a secondary (or third....) room.

The A9, the A6, an Essence with xx speakers, (the converter with xx speakers), the BS35, the BS1 and the BS2..... and the B&OPlay BT speakers too.

It has become hard to choose which one, we want/need - poor us ;-(

MM

Fully agree. They are still so nice that this concern will not prevent me from buying one :-)

As mentioned in another thread, we still need NL speakers for bathroom/kitchen and outdoor/garden. Maybe under the PLAY brand?

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Many thanks for this very comprehensive review Lee.

I am happy to see the design of these speakers, which is very much to my liking and what strikes me at first glance as 'pure B&O' in terms of aesthetics. I don't know whether to feel disappointed regarding your review of the sound as we know all opinions differ until heard in the flesh, so I will reserve judgement until that time and hope for the best!

This is great competition against Sonos particularly and for me it will be B&O all the way if the sound holds up.

Well done B&O. I hope this will be a killer product in the lineup, it's deserved. As Lee mentioned too, it's great to see that B&O magical touch with the design and implementation of the LED at the top.

Smile

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:27 PM

I guess everyone has seen the alternative colours B&O promoted on instagram today? Must admit, they look a lot better than the plain aluminium version:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ0CfGVj19w/?taken-by=bangolufsen&hl=en

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:02 PM
moxxey:

I guess everyone has seen the alternative colours B&O promoted on instagram today? Must admit, they look a lot better than the plain aluminium version:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ0CfGVj19w/?taken-by=bangolufsen&hl=en

They say its only ideas. So there are no commitments that these colours will be commercial.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:07 PM

Hiort:

They say its only ideas. So there are no commitments that these colours will be commercial.

You're just stating what we all can read from the link!

The key point is, if they made prototypes, which they clearly have, based on their constant BeoPlay colour launches, there's a strong chance we'll see further colours later....especially if B&O users ask for them! I would.

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:29 PM

moxxey:
The key point is, if they made prototypes, which they clearly have, based on their constant BeoPlay colour launches, there's a strong chance we'll see further colours later....especially if B&O users ask for them! I would.

If the reviews for the BeoSound 2 are good, and I'm sure it will be, then I want to go on record to say I will buy a red one when it becomes available (green second choice).  Since there is no way to really know if this will happen, it just may delay my purchase for [quite] a while!

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 12:09 PM

Would it be correct to summarize the capabilities of the BeoSound 1:

Sounds good at lower-to-mid volume levels, but at higher levels the bass gets lost?

Could this be fixed with a software update?  I remember when the A2 was released, the lower bass wasn't good, and on many things it sounded like you were pounding a balloon.  It was more noticeable on higher volumes. This was fixed on a later software update.

Also, what would be a fair comparison for the BeoSound 2?  Would comparing it to the BeoSound 35 be a fair comparison?  It is almost twice the price of an A6, so I would hope it would sound better!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 12:45 PM

It does look identical to my Method washing up liquid bottle :) Rose gold and orange look good-ish. 

A1 is still lovely :)

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:12 PM
The beosound 1 in Sheffield B&O store. Looks really good in situ and sounds excellent playing the Arctic Monkeys' AM.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:33 PM

Duels:
The beosound 1 in Sheffield B&O store. Looks really good in situ and sounds excellent playing the Arctic Monkeys' AM.

I was close to pulling the trigger on an A6. I wonder how it compares?

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:40 PM

Great review, Lee, and it looks very smart (and much nicer than the things it was compared to!). However - £995 for mono? Really?!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:54 PM

Well, comparing it to say the Beolab 2000, of which I have two, not sure it makes much difference being mono or stereo. Certainly with the BL2000 the two speakers are so close together calling it "stereo" is kind of a stretch. My Beolit 15 is mono, but it sure fills a room well!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Ive just heard it Moxxey and its a fantastic device. I was talking to the manager about comparing the Beosound1 to the A6, and he prefers the Beosound 1.

If the 2 is a more powerful device, i think B&O will do very well by them.

It looks fabulous, sounds brilliant and is ridiculously expensive. Thats much more like itYes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:05 PM
moxxey:

Didn't do a side by side comparison I'm afraid. Not enough time. Personally I am really looking forward to the beosound 2 which should be a real beast.
Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member
Moxxey - a6 for me every time. I heard the BS1 the other day in-store. Design aside (personally, I don't like - just can't get away from thinking Thermos flask) Sound wise, very nice at low volumes, good full and detailed sound, surprisingly so for size of it.... but turn it up and soon runs out of steam, too soon for me.

Had my a6 for months now and still enjoy it as much as any B&O I have owned - powerful too, I have in large kitchen/diner, I'm just not sure the BS1 would cut it. I do like my electronic tunes!

So its down to design taste and volume you will listen at I suppose.

Maybe BS2 will be better? haven't heard it yet.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:24 PM

I'm not keen on it but Duels is that record player looks great. Is it a REGA?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:29 PM
Paul W:

I'm not keen on it but Duels is that record player looks great. Is it a REGA?

No it's a Pro-Ject and it looks pretty cool to be honest. Nick is an agent for them I believe. Not sure how many he has sold, but I keep thinking about it.........
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:48 PM

I haven't heard of that brand Duels. Looks very similar to the REGA range.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 5:51 PM

Stevegee:
Moxxey - a6 for me every time. 

Good to hear, thanks. I love the A9, sound-wise, so was hoping the A6 was a little brother version. I also like the look of the A6.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 6:09 PM

As mentioned, I'm looking forward to the BeoSound 2 - which I think could be the 'one to have'....

As soon as I hear one I'll let you know. Perhaps B&O can lend me one to review!

Lee

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
moxxey:

I was playing Deep House Lounge Radio on TuneIn last night and the A6 was awesome
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 8:37 PM

Aussie Michael:
moxxey:

I was playing Deep House Lounge Radio on TuneIn last night and the A6 was awesome

I'll join the bandwagon, the A6 can hold its own when it comes to pumping it out... though I have yet to listen to a BS2.

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

Paul W:

I haven't heard of that brand Duels. Looks very similar to the REGA range.

It's an Austrian brand. Looks like a Pro-Ject Debute Esprit. Interesting in the Debute line is the Debute USB with an inbuild preAmp, which is soundwise ok. The Price-performance ratio of the turntables is very good. Personally i like "The Classic". Looks like a Linn Sondek LP12 and costs € 999,00 incl. Ortofon 2M silver.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=theclassic&cat=turntables&lang=en

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael:

Nice!! Good man - it does doesn't it
Ky
Not Ranked
LA
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Ky replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 10:17 PM

Does anyone know if you will be able to pair two of these up into a L-R stereo set up through multilink? 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ky :

Does anyone know if you will be able to pair two of these up into a L-R stereo set up through multilink? 

Sorry - how would you combine to audio systems?

MM

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 10:52 PM

Hi Brigantinus! thank you for the info. WOW the classic really does look like the Linn Sondek LP12. Incredible how that wonderful design is still going strong! 

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Sorry - how would you combine to audio systems?

MM

You make it sound like an insurmountable challenge ?

Given the architecture of the flask, quite the contrary actually!

But it would of course completely destroy the "immersive"  360° mono sound.

Incidentally, if you look carefully, it's properly more like 340°....Whistle

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BEOVOX141:

But it would of course completely destroy the "immersive"  360° mono sound.

Incidentally, if you look carefully, it's properly more like 340°....Whistle

Exactly that is my point - you can't make a stereo set out of two 'speakers', that are conceived to have a 360° Immersive sound.

The focus here is on 'immersive' not on mono - and precisely that is what is needed by this kind of speaker/BeoSound!

Actually with the 340° you are right.

When you walk around it, you can notice a little change in the sound when you pass by the small joint for attaching the upper part to the lower.

Otherweise the sound is pretty much the same all the way round.

And I am sure most people won't even notice this in every day use.....Whistle

MM

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 10:50 AM

Millemissen:

Exactly that is my point - you can't make a stereo set out of two 'speakers', that are conceived to have a 360° Immersive sound.

The focus here is on 'immersive' not on mono - and precisely that is what is needed by this kind of speaker/BeoSound!

..Snip

MM

I don't get it ?

How is it possible to be "immersed" in sound from just one speaker?

Unless the word is used in the sense that the speaker simply defies established physics? Idea

Who knows, if you live long enough, you get to hear everything I guess,-  or nothing at all...

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 2:48 PM

BEOVOX141:

My guess would be from reflected sounds.  It would depend on the room.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 3:07 PM

Mark-N:

BEOVOX141:

My guess would be from reflected sounds.  It would depend on the room.

I agree. It's the lack of beaming I think that they are calling "immersive." As opposed to one single regular speaker, or even two stereo ones close together, that give you variable sound as you move around because most of the sound beams forward, not omnidirectional. Even better would be several mono ones in a room spread out to produce a more uniform sound field, similar to what you get in a restaurant or such with a commercial sound setup. But at the price of the BS1/2, wow, that could get pricey in a hurry. I'm betting the new BSounds give a better whole room experience than my BS2000s, they're bound to have better wide angle dispersion.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 2 of 3 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS