Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The New Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 1 – The BeoWorld Review..

rated by 0 users
This post has 97 Replies | 2 Followers

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Even better would be several mono ones in a room spread out to produce a more uniform sound field

My point exactly!  And it's already there aka 7.1, 5.1 or even... stereo!

Using the term  "immersive"  when you are dealing with  a mono speaker is just,- strange!

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 3:47 PM

BEOVOX141:

My point exactly!  And it's already there aka 7.1, 5.1 or even... stereo!

Using the term  "immersive"  when you are dealing with  a mono speaker is just,- strange!

Which would be great if you are sitting in one place, preferrably the "sweet spot", but if you are moving around I can't see the benefit over a mono speaker.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

'Immersive' would be a false term, when using it with a 'one point (mono) speaker'.

But the concept of a 360 (or 340 if you want) degrees omnidirectional sound is different.

Have a listen for yourself!

There is no need for trying to have a 'sweet spot' (using 2 or even more) speakers with a sound system used in surroundings, where people move a lot around - in fact it would only reduce the perceived sound quality.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Gents......just go and listen to it.

It's really nice, wherever you bloody sitConfusedConfusedConfused

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Oct 2 2016 8:07 PM

After 1 month of home use for the early adopters, are you still as enthusiastic about it? Did you notice down sides / weak points? What are your impressions? How does it compare with the cheap Beoplay A1 (that I personally like very much)?

And what about its big brother? Could anybody have the chance to seriously play with it?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

I'm getting visions of a Beosound on the dining table but then I realise that the Beo4 on the table turns the Century on very well. But then it did look good at the dealers launch last week. I'm fighting the materialism. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Oct 2 2016 8:14 PM

And is it a problem (for the battery) to leave it plugged to the main all the time?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

If it's in the middle of the table , yes.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

David Coyne
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts 305
Bronze Member

Comrades

I bought a Beosound 1 about two weeks ago. I use it as both a portable speaker and also part of a multi room set up where i have:

An Avant 55/ Beosound 5 and beolab 9s in the living room

Beocenter 2/Essence/ Beolab 3s in a spare room

A6 in my bedroom

Beosound 1 on a table on the landing

A beocentre 6-26 in another spare room.

I'm quite happy with the product. It links well with my other products via the BeoMusic app. The sound quality is nice. I'm using it more for 'background' sound and to spread the music  as opposed to a dedicated 'listening' speaker.

Would I have preferred the sound of the Beosound 2? Probably, however for the purposes i use it  (a background speaker and a speaker I can move to the garden) it is perfect.

My only constructive criticism would be the battery life. I have it on at what I would call 'moderate' volume. I rarely get more than 4 hours from it. 

Hope this is useful for those considering if its the right product for them.

David

Beovision 8-40, Beocentre 6-26, Beocentre 2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beo 5, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400, Beocom 6's, Beotalk 1200

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

benoit:

After 1 month of home use for the early adopters, are you still as enthusiastic about it? Did you notice down sides / weak points? What are your impressions? How does it compare with the cheap Beoplay A1 (that I personally like very much)?

And what about its big brother? Could anybody have the chance to seriously play with it?

As an early adopter, I am as enthusiastic about the BS1 from the day I bought it.  I haven't noticed any down sides or weak points.  You tap it, it works.  I think if a product is a dud you notice it from the get go - as I did with the encore.

My impressions are that it is way better than i thought it would be.  It sits next to my music listening chair.  I can be on my laptop and just tap and listen to wahtever.

I would like it to have a voiceover to say "deezer" or "tune in" when you change sources.

The A1 is great, but this is way better. 

benoit:

When you're playing a movie on your Avant, put the BS1 on the floor and tap it so it joins the movie, and just have it down just low enough thtat it adds to your music experience.
On another note when i asked the dealer can i leave it plugged in all the time as that is my intention - he said yes, it's fine to do so 

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Mon, Oct 3 2016 11:58 AM

You are courageous to buy such device with batteries built in.

my 2 years old a3 don't charge anymore. 

won't choose this kind of device from b&o unless they proove a reasonable lifetime.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Mon, Oct 3 2016 12:13 PM

I hope that at least they made it easy to swap it.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

If the battery dies I will ask them to replace, but being that you're able to connect to the mains power its fine. 

All batteries go.  I wish mine was nuclear powered :-) 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:

I wish mine was nuclear powered :-) 

The BS1 being born in Denmark, I would rather go for a windmill on top.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Ahzari
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Ahzari replied on Mon, Oct 31 2016 6:08 PM

So I had a chance to demo the new Beosound 1 in a Bang and Olufsen showroom in Beverly Hills. It looks great, - little bigger than expected and I was really excited to hear it but wow, was it disappointing. I own the Beoplay A1 and the H8 headphones and have been generally impressed with the beoplay gear but the audio coming out of the beosoind was not amazing. The salesman played mostly acoustic tracks to demonstrate the 360 sound and clarity of the unit but when I asked him to play something with more complicated bass is where the problem grew even worse. I noticed that when the bass notes would hit the volume or The Who song would decrease noticeably for a few seconds then go back up, this was at about 70 percent volume. When I asked the salesman why this was happening he said it was a protective mechanism to prevent the drivers from blowing... wait what? This wasn't at max volume it made no sense, additionally why was the whole track volume decreasing instead of just decreasing the bass output. The DSP being implemented is either terrible or the 60w of power not enough to handle the volume. When he saw that I was pretty shocked by this he noted that it's suggested to lower the volume on bass heavy tracks and the beosound 2 might be a better choice. Also he stated that the beosound 1 was not meant to be a stand alone unit but integrated with the rest of the bang and olufsen multi room lineup. I wasn't having that sales pitch. For fun I asked him to place a beolit 15 next to the beosound 1 and tested some tracks. The Beoplay was much louder and the bass more prominent. Yea the clarity of the beosound was a bit better but not by much, the beousound sounded fuller with better mids where the beosound was more treble prominent. This may have been due to the showroom size (medium sized room with high ceilings). 

I went into the store ready to buy the beosound. I am so happy I demoed it first. It's really not worth the $1500 US price especially considering the beolit15 was much louder, had better midrange and bass for $500. I know it's not fair to compare two products that are catering to different audiences. But the fact that B and O makes both of these and I could test them in the same conditions in their own showroom I thought it was fair. 

Another interesting tidbit. When I asked to purchase a black beolit15 salesman said they were all out of stock and would not be getting any more shipments - noting that he's been told beolit15 is being discontinued. So possibly a update is imminent? Or maybe beolit15 wasn't a huge seller for them I don't know. I'll hold my breath for the new model. It would also make sense that a new model could be coming out soon since the beolit price dropped $100 in the past few weeks. 

So to sum up I agree with the original poster, I would take the beolit15 as a winner between the two (price not an object), adding the fact that it's 1/3 the price of the beosound 1 for pure audio enjoyment (not taking into the account the obvious esthetic benefit of the beosound) the beolit15 is a no brainer between the two. I'm still mind boggled by why the beosound 1 only has 60w (like the $250 Beoplay A1). 

Ahzari
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Ahzari replied on Mon, Oct 31 2016 6:15 PM

Sorry i was writing this on my phone and made a few errors. Thought I'd clarify. 

The beolit  had better mids and bass while the treble of the beosound was more pronounced. I see the beosound has being a low volume background unit not something to play during a party or gathering in a large room or outdoors (where I really thought was the point of his unit since it's battery powered). 

Thanks 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I heard the Beosound 2 today. Had everything we expect in a B&O product, which has been a rarity reasontly.

Looks fantastic and would dissappear into a nice kitchen. Sound was excellent with deeper lows than the 1 and very easy to use our operate. Buttons felt well made and of quality, and yes that's important. 

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Nov 1 2016 5:05 PM

Nice video comparaison from B&O Manchester between BeoSound 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U_NQSEfXuQ

The 2 seems to transcend the 1!

Page 3 of 3 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS