Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Sitting disease. What should we do?

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo Posted: Thu, Sep 1 2016 6:26 PM

it really exists http://robbreport.com/health-and-wellness/living-well/sitting-all-day-killing-you-heres-what-do-about-it

would a smaller TV help?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

I've just been for a run.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:22 PM
I've just stood up to post this reply.
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

That's unnecessarily formal. 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

I lost my proper office chair and all that workplace setup when we moved the shop 1.5 years ago. Since then I've spent a far larger portion of my work days standing up. My back has been a lot better. On the other hand, now I usually pass out in the comfy chair in the evening at home...

--mika

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:43 PM
Simonbeo:

That's unnecessarily formal.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Big Smile
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:46 PM

I nearly spat my drink out reading number 3, then re-read it and saw it said "walking meetings"...

Geeked

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

I nearly spat my drink out reading number 3, then re-read it and saw it said "walking meetings"...

Geeked

Was it the "“As long as we don’t need to be looking at something on a computer, we walk,”  that confused you?

perhaps putting the remote remotely is the answer..

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:09 PM

Interesting stuff Simon and yes totally agree. I think the working environment does need to change now that we have laptops, iPads and iPhones etc. The days of being chained to a desk and a desktop computer surely have to be limited? For me, I can't think of anything more unproductive than being sat at a desk from 9am to 5pm - surely humans cannot achieve results in that way? Certainly with my team I always told them that if they could achieve better results chilling in the park or Pret-a-Manger with their MacBook, then do it. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Paul W:

Interesting stuff Simon and yes totally agree. I think the working environment does need to change now that we have laptops, iPads and iPhones etc. The days of being chained to a desk and a desktop computer surely have to be limited? For me, I can't think of anything more unproductive than being sat at a desk from 9am to 5pm - surely humans cannot achieve results in that way? Certainly with my team I always told them that if they could achieve better results chilling in the park or Pret-a-Manger with their MacBook, then do it. 

Your comment on people in Pret with their MacBook reminds me of a recent observation I made while I was waiting to go to a market research event for work in central London. I had some time to kill in Tottenham Court rd and went for a coffee amongst these folk and it occurred to me that this place used to be hifi stores one after another. Now they're all coffee places full of people virtually in their "office" while the source of the music is their phone and a Bluetooth speaker or headphones.

meanwhile

"We’ve become so sedentary that 30 minutes a day at the gym may not counteract the detrimental effects of 8, 9 or 10 hours of sitting.

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Humans aren't designed to sit for long periods. We are designed to move. The most natural activity for us is to be walking. Our sedentary lifestyles are very recent developments in the history of Homo Sapiens. Sitting for long periods isn't just bad for us - it's an unnatural act, both physiologically and psychologically.

Having got that off my chest, I think I'll just go and sit down for a bit.

Cleve
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 8:36 AM
We weren't originally designed to stand up and walk either. The change from moving like apes to our current state has come relatively quickly in terms of species development.
Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
True, but if Homo Sapiens has been around for about 200,000 years, sitting around as a norm is very new even in that short period.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:00 AM
I use s standing desk at work, we run some meetings in the agile fashion of making them "stand ups", and I often try to stand in meetings but young people keep offering me their seats Sad

One reason I wear an Apple Watch to track my movements 24x7 - this week I am averaging 8,136 steps a day.

BeoNut since '75

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:18 AM
elephant:

I often try to stand in meetings but young people keep offering me their seats.

Reminds me when my great grandmother was in her eighties she was on a bus and offered her seat to an " old lady" who thanked her and said "it is hard when you reach seventy my dear".
Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Dr. Bob Marley has the medicine for this desease:

Get up,

stand up,

stand up for your right

Peter the biker

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Peter the Biker:

Dr. Bob Marley has the medicine for this desease:

Get up,

stand up,

stand up for your right

Stand up for your light?

Nah, I just use the light function on the Beo 4. 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:44 PM

Simonbeo:

Paul W:

Your comment on people in Pret with their MacBook reminds me of a recent observation I made while I was waiting to go to a market research event for work in central London. I had some time to kill in Tottenham Court rd and went for a coffee amongst these folk and it occurred to me that this place used to be hifi stores one after another. Now they're all coffee places full of people virtually in their "office" while the source of the music is their phone and a Bluetooth speaker or headphones.

meanwhile

"We’ve become so sedentary that 30 minutes a day at the gym may not counteract the detrimental effects of 8, 9 or 10 hours of sitting.

I disgree, they're just posing!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 1:37 AM

You know, I was just talking about this with Lars, my personal trainer, the other evening as my chauffeur Charles drove us to the health club. Lars would never ride a bike on the street, no indeed. Not only does he think he wouldn't look good as a hood ornament, but honestly, if you've worked as hard as Lars has on his body, it's much better to work out at the gym. Riding thru traffic it's hard for the women (or men, I don't pry into his personal life, totally none of my business) to admire his rock hard abs and buns of steel and then proposition him. Whoosh, he's by before they can get over their shock at seeing such an Apollo off of Mount Olympus, which does no one any good.

By the way, I don't exercise at the health club, that's why I bring Lars! I'm not about to sweat and get out of breath so the dirty plebeians can make fun of me. That would make me devote time to crushing their pale little lives rather than making money, and there's no profit, albeit quite a bit of fun, in that. Plus, I find I get more attention from the babes at the club when I light my pipe with a rolled up thousand dollar bill than ol'Lars does with his toned, oiled body. Ah, wealth is great.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

UnsureHuh?Laughing

--mika

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Can excercise be outsourced to China?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 3:44 PM

Simonbeo:

Can excercise be outsourced to China?

Now that's funny!

But, remember how many of them there are, not a good idea. If all the Chinese did jumping jacks at the same time the vibration would split the planet in half!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS