Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox 4702 Speaker refurbishment help

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Fulla
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Fulla Posted: Wed, Sep 21 2016 8:49 PM

Hi I need some help on the refurb of my 4702's. Not sure how to post pictures on here but words will have to do for now.

I have recently purchased a lovely Quad 34 controller and 306 amp that I tested at home with a mates B&W CM1's. The clarity produced through the newer speakers was a real wake up call of how bad my 4702's sound. The problem is I love the look of the 4702's and I have them on aluminium trumpet stands, I am a midcentury modernest fanatic and they just look right in my home.

So far I have reformed the 4 loudspeakers and refinished the rosewood which really pops. But that is it. I am told renewing the caps on the crossover will make a huge difference but I can't find anything on the web that would show be how to take the speakers apart to get to the crossovers. I am also curious as to why the midrange speakers look to have been coated in varnish, the foam seems ok but I would be happy to replace these but with that coating I am not sure. Maybe these could be replaced? I believe the tweeters are Scan-Speak which seem to be still available.

So any advice, guidance and thoughts welcome. Oh and if you know how to post images let me know and I'll get some up of the speakers and space they inhabit which is either side of Diater Rams shelving.

Cheers, James.

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:41 PM

The coating is to damp the cone and modify it behaviour as it breaks up under resonance. If the coating is fine and the foam is OK, I would leave it well alone.

I'm not familiar with the 4702s but with most B&O models of that era, accessing the crossover is achieved by removing one of the drive units - usually the bass driver.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS