Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Apple iPad Pro

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael Posted: Fri, Sep 30 2016 9:29 PM
A little while I acquired an ipad pro and it's a surprising device.

I didn't think i was going to like it as much as I do. I use it when the pencil and the keyboard cover.

I like that with the apple keyboard cover that you don't have to charge it, not that for example you would have to charge the logitech one that much - their charge seem to last forever. ALso that you can use your regular keyboard short cuts as i suspect with any attached kb.

Does anyone else have one? What are your thoughts? Could it replace your laptop?
Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Open Office? Libreoffice? Oops, what a pity!

I think, for me it wouldn't replace a laptop. Or you could run MacOS on an iPad ....

Peter the biker

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sat, Oct 1 2016 2:31 PM

I had one and I thought it could replace my Macbook 12 retina. It's a very nice device, you can use Keynote, Pages and Numbers, perfect for music streaming, but for my use it cannot completely replace my Macbook. First you cannot make a real backup on a hard drive. How to download songs (except from iTunes store) add them to music? How to save them? Not simple at all for photos management as well if you don't have any laptop. And what if you have to pass your iPad or iPhone into recovery mode to reinstall iOS?...

All these lacks pushed me to sell it. And I don't really miss it as my Macbook is not bigger and much much more open.

Maybe the perfect pair would be an iPad Pro and an iMac retina!

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Sat, Oct 1 2016 4:09 PM

FUnny thing, Imupgraded as one of the first to IOS10. it bricked it and I had to connect to Itunes which I did on my Macbook 12.

But then I think itmmaynhave drawn too much power from the USB so the restore wasn't working and I had to actually go back to an old Macbook Pro

I find it clunky to use neither does it all the tasks I need it to do. FOr browsing the web and watching video though its very nice

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Oct 1 2016 4:33 PM

I agree with Benoit with everything that he wrote. I have the new MacBook Retina and it's the most perfect computer that i've ever had the pleasure to use. It's chic, stylish and powerful. Certainly the perfect size for me, there screen is amazing and I find the 512GB SSD more than enough. It's outstanding. I've never needed a iPad as the MacBook, iPhone and Apple TV do everything that I need. BUT, the iPad is great for business use - trade shows, studio use and superb for account managers.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Oct 1 2016 5:20 PM

My employer supplied me with an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. My main work computer is a PC Laptop. (At home, my family is and has been an Apple family since the mid 90s). I was quite surprised at how usable the iPad Pro is for most... not all, but most of what I use the PC for at work. As you might surmise, the lack of a "true" filesystem is what I miss most, but for day to day activities, taking it to meetings, and being "caught up" rather than having to "catch up" when I get back to my office, is really a plus!

Incidentally, I was quite disappointed, although expecting it, that Apple hasn't announced new hardware yet. I'm working on a Mid 2011 MacBook Pro, with a Mid 2010 Mac Pro (cheesegrater, not trash can) as a server. I've been itching to upgrade my MacBook Pro, but don't know how much longer I can wait. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll announce new laptops before the year is through. Once I'm upgraded, I'll move my current MBPro as the server and likely sell the Mac Pro :-) to offset the new computer's cost.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Oct 1 2016 7:39 PM

Hola Sal! Don't worry man, there are new MacBook Pro's coming at the end of this month!!! Same here, i've been using Mac's since 1995 as a child! I was at a really nice cocktail bar the other weekend and a friend of mine was very upset because her phone (Samsung) had a virus!!! I was like 'What the...." :) :) :) 

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

I went through the same thinking process and decided against the Pro as it uses iOS instead of MacOS leading to the issues describes here.

I instead went with a Surface Book, which I am quite happy with. Not brilliant, but meets the purpose of having a full tablet that can replace a notebook.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 2 2016 2:14 AM

steve1977:

I went through the same thinking process and decided against the Pro as it uses iOS instead of MacOS leading to the issues describes here.

I instead went with a Surface Book, which I am quite happy with. Not brilliant, but meets the purpose of having a full tablet that can replace a notebook.

The only reason I don't have a Surface 3 Pro now is price, for what I do now as a retired person who doesn't travel much it's just too expensive compared with the remanufactured ultrabook I have now (well under $500). But the idea of something that runs Win OS, talks easily to my printer and NAS, runs most of my programs and apps and can double as a tablet is very, very tempting. Hopefully by the time I need to replace my laptop the prices will have dropped, or I'll have won a major lottery!

MacOS will never be a solution for me, I have too many design and measurement programs for audio work and simulation that are not and will never likely be available in MacOS or iOS for me to rely on anything other than Windows.

Reminds me of the funny Mac Vs. PC ads on Youtube that lampooned the ones Apple put out. Apple dude says "You can play lots of games on the Mac!" PC dude says "Dude, Photoshop is not a game."

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Oct 2 2016 1:05 PM

Bootcamp runs Windows on the Mac superbly. Because of this one of my finance director's retconned 'the MacBook is the best Windows laptop that ever existed'.

Each to their own regarding Mac or Windows. For me, it's Mac only - 21 years of using them and for me, they have been worry free. Never any software problems.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Oct 2 2016 1:39 PM

When iPads were first introduced our fashionistas Marketeers went on ridiculously, complaining that their job was now impossible to carry out on a day to day basis without one, to the point that our IT dept. actually relented and allowed them into our network infrastructure. Now that the novelty has well and truly worn off and even the kids in the airport have them they are now back on conventional laptops. It's a shame really because I used to really enjoy watching them struggle trying to juggle files and share data when they came up for meetings!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 2 2016 6:49 PM

Puncher:

When iPads were first introduced our fashionistas Marketeers went on ridiculously, complaining that their job was now impossible to carry out on a day to day basis without one, to the point that our IT dept. actually relented and allowed them into our network infrastructure. Now that the novelty has well and truly worn off and even the kids in the airport have them they are now back on conventional laptops. It's a shame really because I used to really enjoy watching them struggle trying to juggle files and share data when they came up for meetings!

Seen the same thing, guys taking notes on iPads, then rushing to email them to themselves so they can edit and send them out using the word processor on their desktop. A tablet is good at what a tablet does, no amount of obsessive genuflection to Jobs will make it do everything. I use an iPod for a narrowly focused set of things...surfing web while sitting on my comfy couch and listening to music or half watching TV...streaming Spotify to the Playmaker, occasionally watching Netflix or such if I'm in another room than the TV or everyone is in bed and it's late and I don't want to risk waking them. I almost went with a Surface but the DLNA vs Airplay issues (no gapless) and the fact it's easier to talk to the PM using the Apple app led me to go with an Apple tablet. I use my old 1st gen one in my A3, but my BIL has given me his old 2 so that will be going in once I get the home button fixed.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Mon, Oct 10 2016 3:25 PM

Aussie Michael:
A little while I acquired an ipad pro and it's a surprising device.

I didn't think i was going to like it as much as I do. I use it when the pencil and the keyboard cover.

I like that with the apple keyboard cover that you don't have to charge it, not that for example you would have to charge the logitech one that much - their charge seem to last forever. ALso that you can use your regular keyboard short cuts as i suspect with any attached kb

Does anyone else have one? What are your thoughts? Could it replace your laptop?

An iPad Pro can replace a laptop but I guess it really depends on how it is being used.  My wife has the 12.9 inch model and really likes it for her work.  She is a graphic artist and a writer.  I have the 9.7 inch iPad pro.  I have the keyboard cover and the pencil but don't use those items too much.  I needed a new iPad but the pro was more of a vanity purchase.  I also have a MacBook which i use often.  In addition, we have Mac in a small home office.  You may ask why we have so much computer hardware.  We live in a condo with not too much extra room.  We needed portability and flexibility.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS