Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab Transmitter 1 and DAC?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

mrjob
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
mrjob Posted: Fri, Oct 21 2016 4:01 AM

Hi there. I'm new to this BeoWorld forum. Just wondering if putting a DAC between my Mac Mini and BeoLab Transmitter 1 will improve the sound quality or the BeoLab Transmitter 1 already has a built-in DAC and therefore putting a DAC in front of it will not help much? 

My current set up is Mac Mini --> BeoLab Transmitter 1 --> BeoLab 17&19. Thank you! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi and welcome to Beoworld,

supposing that you are using the digital output from the Mini for the connection, there is absolutely no reason for something 'in between'.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mrjob
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
mrjob replied on Fri, Oct 21 2016 9:44 AM

Hi MM, thank you for your reply. 

I'm actually using a mini to RCA cable from Mac Mini to BeoLab Transmitter 1. Maybe I should change to digital output then?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You definitely should!!!

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Millemissen:

You definitely should!!!

MM

Wow, wow - wait a second. I was too quick there ;-(

Soundwise I was right!

However, using the digital out of the Mini gives you one big problem - the control of the volume.

Usually you won't be able to contol the volume - it is locked on high.

Sorry for misguiding you!

Personally I use a small DAC (from Audioengine) for the optical output of my Mac Mini for a connection to my (non-B&O) active speakers.

The volume control is made on the knob of the device - in addition I gained a good headphone-out connection.

So - either this (there are similar DAC's with remote controls), or you stay by your (probably also convinient) solution using the analog connection.

But - how is the sound now? Are you content? Or do you 'miss' something?

MM

mrjob
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
mrjob replied on Fri, Oct 21 2016 2:55 PM

Haha, appreciate your comments, MM. 

I'm content with the sound so far though I wish there's a bit more clarity and distinction. This was why I thought using a DAC to sort of replace the sound card in Mac Mini would sort of 'improve' the input source to BeoLab Transmitter 1 and hopefully the WiSA signal will thus be clearer. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS