Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Oppo 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Released

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

ssbrig
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
ssbrig Posted: Mon, Dec 12 2016 9:08 PM

The UDP-203 is available for pre-order today (in US) with a release date of December 12 for $549.  The Oppo site indicates a UDP-205 will be available in early 2017.  

Is anyone considering the UDP-203?  I'm tempted as it has all the important bases covered with HDR, 4:4:4, Dolby Vision support coming in early 2017, etc.  However it does not have built-in Netflix, Amazon, etc.  Oppo states they're going for a 'purist approach to disc and file playback'.  It is possible to connect via HDMI 2.0 a 4k-capable streaming device to the UDP-203 but the Oppo player does not support HDR via the HDMI in that a connected streaming device would utilize. 

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Mon, Dec 12 2016 9:48 PM
Count me as one. Unfortunately the release is currently only for North America.

We have an Oppo 103 and it runs hrs every day for our daughter and haven't missed a beat.

Might wait for the 205 and hook up all my B&O speakers to it bypassing the need for a prepro.

On one negative I'm not sure if it support the Dolby Atmos - was looking forward to rigging an Atmos setup
ssbrig
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
ssbrig replied on Tue, Dec 13 2016 12:02 AM

Amos supported per specs on Oppo site for the UHD-203:

• Advanced Audio Formats
    With internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and bitstream output for object-based immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the UDP-203 delivers great sound for both movie soundtracks and music.
ssbrig
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
ssbrig replied on Tue, Dec 13 2016 12:05 AM

according to their site, atoms is supported

ssbrig
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
ssbrig replied on Tue, Dec 13 2016 12:05 AM
  • Advanced Audio Formats
    With internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and bitstream output for object-based immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the UDP-203 delivers great sound for both movie soundtracks and music.
BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Tue, Dec 13 2016 5:56 AM
Stick out tongue awesome!!! Take my money now lol

I've already bought quite a few 4K bluray ready and waiting.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Dec 13 2016 10:27 AM
Bill, what have you picked as titles ?

BeoNut since '75

ErikVonAgnar
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 193
Bronze Member
I might get it. Have the BDP 103D at the moment. Have to experience it in real life first.

//EA

Beo in white is my thingBig Smile

Currently own: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 5, BeoLab 18, BeoRemoteOne, BeoPlay V1-32", BeoRemote4, BeoSound 3200, BeoGram 6500 (MMC-1), BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, LC2, BeoVision MX7000 and BeoLab 3

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 394
Bronze Member
jans replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 5:01 PM
Do the Oppo's have volume Control so that I can directly connect my Beolabs to them?
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 2:18 AM

jans:
Do the Oppo's have volume Control so that I can directly connect my Beolabs to them?

My BDP103 does, plus 5.1 outputs so I doubt the new one will not be the same. It also has a video in so you can run the output of a cable box or other source so you can use the video engine in the Oppo to clean up and adjust as needed. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Dec 27 2016 4:50 PM

The back of the player has one of the two HDMI outputs labeled as "audio only." I wonder if this is true as to 1080p video as well as 4k. My current Oppo 103 has the benefit of connecting one output to the tv (for 3D viewing) and the other HDMI output to the BeoSystem 3 for non-3D viewing. That way, I still have the menu overlay of the BeoSystem 3 for viewing non-3D blu-rays and I only need to change the input source on the tv for 3D blu-rays.

Bottom line here is that it truly is time for B&O to offer a BeoSystem 5 with current specs for 4K and also Dolby Atmos.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

beojeff:

Bottom line here is that it truly is time for B&O to offer a BeoSystem 5 with current specs for 4K and also Dolby Atmos.

'current specs for 4K and also Dolby Atmos'

I would prefer, that they would wait for things to settle down.

Having an external device (a BSys5), that should support (all the) different types of 'current 4K-tv's' will be problematic.

Support for HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) has just been starting off - is promised from the major companies, but not confirmed yet.

How about the different types of tuners - should they be included or should we rely on external tuners?

When you say support for Dolby Atmos, why don't mention DTS-X, and Auro as well?

And after all, how big is the need for this kind of solution - the typical B&O costumer prefer an all-inclusive tv solution....

....and very few have more than a 5.1-speaker solution at home with their tv.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BillC:

On one negative I'm not sure if it support the Dolby Atmos - was looking forward to rigging an Atmos setup

Sure there is support for Dolby Atmos - meaning, that the player can pass-through the bitstream to an external device for decoding.

This would also mean needing an external receiver or prepro, which can do this..

....and a goodbye to BV's (including the BSys4) - the excellent audioengine, the ability of making different speaker groups for different situations, 

the WPL connections (WiSA) etc etc...

P.S. In general - if you want to use an OPPO with a B&O tv - there is no need to wait for a 205.

The HDMI-output is all, that you need - what the 205 offers over the 203 stays unused.

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Is Oppo Blu Ray the same as the Chinese Oppo mobile phone maker ? Or is it the same name but different all together ?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

OPPO Global is big/huge.

OPPO Digital however, is an independently operated division of OPPO. Founded in 2004 and based in the United States.

The players are manufactured/assemblet in China.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

OPPO Global is big/huge.

OPPO Digital however, is an independently operated division of OPPO. Founded in 2004 and based in the United States.

The players are manufactured/assembled in China.

MM

pjk561
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Bronze Member
pjk561 replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 5:29 AM

I bought the 203 and am using it with a Beosystem 4 via the audio out HDMI connector of the 203. Very easy setup that the Beosystem 4 prompted me through. Watched John Wick 2 and WOW the audio was fantastic. I continue to be startled in some of the scenes with gunfire. Incredible dynamics. I haven't paid much attention to Atmos as I don't want more speakers and I don't believe it would be a significant improvement in my environment. Happy with the Beosystem 4.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS