Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM5 HDD to SSD the easy way

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 4 Followers

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Wild Ruedi Posted: Sun, Feb 5 2017 10:39 PM

Hello

My BS5 suffered from staggering replay from the memory.

I have followed the various attempts to change the HDD to SSD. I bought SSD crucial MX 300 1 TB.- 1050GB to be precise. Also: sharkoon  Quickport XT duo clone.

Workaround: Connect the cloner to PC and plug new SSD in any slot. Formate SSD Fat32. Unplug cloner from PC. Plug original HDD in clonerslot1 new SSD slot2. Start cloner and wait, watch the LED for progress. It takes about 3 hrs.

Put back SSD in BS5, plug everthing together, plug in mains, wait until System is ready and enjoy the quick response at the wheel and the fast browsing through albums. The memory plays smooth.

No more worries about mechanical failure!

Best regards

Ruedi

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Feb 6 2017 6:51 AM

Wild Ruedi:

Hello

My BS5 suffered from staggering replay from the memory.

I have followed the various attempts to change the HDD to SSD. I bought SSD crucial MX 300 1 TB.- 1050GB to be precise. Also: sharkoon  Quickport XT duo clone.

Workaround: Connect the cloner to PC and plug new SSD in any slot. Formate SSD Fat32. Unplug cloner from PC. Plug original HDD in clonerslot1 new SSD slot2. Start cloner and wait, watch the LED for progress. It takes about 3 hrs.

Put back SSD in BS5, plug everthing together, plug in mains, wait until System is ready and enjoy the quick response at the wheel and the fast browsing through albums. The memory plays smooth.

No more worries about mechanical failure!

Best regards

Ruedi

Was your original HDD 500gb or 1TB ?

And still no problem with SW updates ?

/Weebyx

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, Feb 6 2017 1:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. That is a quite nice and straight forward approach.

I hope that the MX300 will work flawlessly for you, someone mentioned that only the MX100 would be supported by the BM5.

Please let us know how it goes, I am also having a 1TB and the response is sometimes slow on mine as well.
Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

It was 1TB and I have Spotify - all works perfect. I have not tried the update function since it says, that my cloned software is updated.

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

It was 1TB and I have Spotify - all works perfect. I have not tried the update function since it says, that my cloned software is updated.

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Wild Ruedi:

I have tried the update - and it works! First I made a reboot from recovery witch sets the sofware to delivery status: update lost, settings lost, music files 

remain untouched. It takes a while. Then settings - update and the download starts as ever. In short time the update is done and Spotify + A Aux

is back. So far I did not use the service mode nor the USB service tool. The easy way.

regards Ruedi

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sat, Feb 11 2017 9:32 PM
Thanks for your update.
wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member

Hi

How is your replacement drive?

Hope all works well. Can you please confirm that your drive  model number is Crucial SSD MX300 1050GB 2,5" (CT1050MX300SSD1)

Thanks

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Correct!

and it works perfect!

regards Ruedi

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:19 AM

Hi Ruedi

Been almost a year now, are things still going well for you?

Regards,

Leo

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hi Leo

It is in daily use and working perfect. The average temperature on the mainboard is as low as 32°C and noiseless.

Hurry up! the early type of SSD are running out.

Regards,

Ruedi

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Thu, Jan 4 2018 12:04 AM

Hi Ruedi

Thanks for your reply, my system is now running with the MX300 1TB disk, and your approach worked fine.

For now at least Smile

I had a problem to format the drive to FAT32 in Windows 10, as new Windows 10 does not support FAT32 format options anymore. I tried to use the cmd prompt to format using FS:FAT32 but it failed after 14 hours......well, after using my Mac, I was able fo format the drive to FAT32 in 5 Minutes. Should have known that up front, ha ha.

Cloning the drive took about 4 hours.

During the process I was also "reminded" to dust off the inner BM5 with m airduster, hereby done Yes - thumbs up

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Thu, Jan 4 2018 8:15 AM

System has been running for 7 hours continuously now, listening to Radio and CD (N.MUSIC) and a bit A.AUX, everything is still running fine.

And, wow, what a difference the SSD makes when browsing though my albums/songs, no delay or latency when scrolling over albums, I have around 22,000 songs, and there were always delays when scrolling/browsing. Even browsing through the PICTURES I have on BM5 vi my AppleTV on the Avant (using DNLA) is much more smooth.

Should have done this much earlier...... thanks for your help Ruedi.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Jan 4 2018 10:23 AM

Will this work with the original 500GB Beomaster 5, too if I install the 1TB SSD?

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Thu, Jan 4 2018 11:12 AM
You should just do a cloning to a 500 GB SSD which is quite a bit cheaper.

I don’t know what happens if you clone from 500 to 1TB with the additional space.
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sun, Jan 7 2018 3:14 AM

After installing the SSD I have now enabled Power Save mode and disabled Music Server (DNLA) as the start-up time now is very acceptable compared to earlier. No need to have the harddrive and system running 24x7 anymore. 

Yes - thumbs up

Fritz
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Bronze Member
Fritz replied on Sun, Jan 7 2018 8:14 AM

For all reading about this issue.

If having a 500 GB HDD just clone it to a 500 GB HHD or larger. IT must have the esact same size or larger. Same goes for the 1 TB. As all data is copied direct one to one, all will work. If going from 500 GB to 1 TB one has to use the special software tools and follow the procedure decribed in the service manual. Further if the system seem slow call the service menu in BM5 connect mouse and keyboard to USB. The system runs on Windows XP SP 2, call the harddrive and do a disk clean up in windows XP to remove temporary files and other leftovers. Then do a defragmentation. See the servicemanual how to enter the service mode. B&O has a service letter decribing that SSD harddrives is suatable in BM 5.

elbrus
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
elbrus replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 2:54 PM

Hello,

Why using Fat32 and not NTFS?

Will your solution works wit NTFS?

Beofrank
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Beofrank replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 4:38 PM

Smile

Beofrank
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Beofrank replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 4:39 PM

Does anyone have the service letter?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 7:01 PM

Thank you for your hints.

Maybe a dumb question, but what happens when I clone a 500GB HDD to a 1TB SSD? Will I lose the remaining 500GB because of an exact 1:1 cloning?

Aleksei
Top 500 Contributor
Russia
Posts 84
Bronze Member
Aleksei replied on Wed, Jan 17 2018 10:35 PM

Here's my story with the answer on your question: how the 1 TB SSD looks like after cloning from 500GB, that the filesystem is NTFS etc.

Text is in Russian, but the pictures are self-explaining. Enjoy!

https://beointegration.wordpress.com/

1:BV7+BL7.1+BS4+BL6000+BV6+BL2000+MLGW+Beo4

2:BV7+BL7.4+BL3500+BM5+BL3+Lutron GE/Sivoia QS+HikVision+Dune+LinTronic+BLGW+Beo4+Beo5+Essence remote+BeoTime+BeoLinkPC+BL4+KNX+... BeoMaster900

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Thu, Jan 18 2018 10:19 AM

TWG:

Thank you for your hints.

Maybe a dumb question, but what happens when I clone a 500GB HDD to a 1TB SSD? Will I lose the remaining 500GB because of an exact 1:1 cloning?

Typically with drive clones, when you use a larger destination disk the cloning software will just create a partition on the drive that's the exact same size as the old one. I can't remember if Windows XP (which it looks like the BM5 runs on) supports re-sizing partitions (and even then, I'm not sure if you can re-size FAT32 partitions), but if it does you can try using Windows' Disk Management (if you can get to it) and then re-size the partition from there. Essentially, the storage itself isn't gone forever - you just won't be able to access it unless you find a way to create a partition that takes full use of the disk's capacity.

Make sure you don't wipe the old disk in case re-sizing doesn't work and you need to start from scratch again - don't want to lose your music etc!

Fritz
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Bronze Member
Fritz replied on Sat, Jan 20 2018 8:18 PM

The HDD on BM5 is using NTFS.

The service letter describes in short what i wrote above. So as i wrote take the original B&O HDD and clone it to a SSD as described above.

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hi all

Iam glad it works and it is a great improvement!

I run the BM5 as hommedia server trough NL/ML converter on the BV11. Fast and easy! What I am missing is the video information of the album covers. More problems ahead.

regards Ruedi

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Mar 6 2018 12:03 AM

Fritz:
If going from 500 GB to 1 TB one has to use the special software tools and follow the procedure decribed in the service manual

I am considering doing this as I just got my main board replaced for a 2nd time and am still running my original HDD.

Is the service manual available on this site with upgraded membership?  If not, where can it be found?

Thanks,

Stan

simon_christensen
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

Hi

A question regarding this Post:

Has anyone got a link to this Servicemanual and a specification of the software tool to be used? I plan to clone my 500GB HD into a 1TB SSD 

Simon

Salli
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Salli replied on Thu, May 6 2021 4:54 PM

Grüzi Ruedi.

Interesting story. I have a question, big request. I have visited many services, supports, but still no result. "Twonky" not responsible, "Beo" nothing to learn, and also the "technician" is not available. The following problem: I have BS5/BM5 and on the PC I can control everything. I play music videos (mp4) via the PC. I can select ONLY AUDIO on the "clients" notebook/smartphone NO M-VIDEOS. (M.Video does not appear) Probably "Release..." in "Twonky", this page ...... : 9000 does not respond. How/where can I reinstall Twonky? Is there a manual? Is there a "reset?" (do not speak much computer)   Thanks for help.                                 Salli

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, May 6 2021 5:55 PM

Salli:
I have BS5/BM5 and on the PC I can control everything
what can you control on your PC? the BS5? Twonky?
Salli:
I can select ONLY AUDIO on the "clients" notebook/smartphone NO M-VIDEOS.
You mean Twonky doesn't see MP4's? 
Salli:
"Twonky", this page ...... : 9000 does not respond.
did you install Twonky on your PC? or is it running on your BS5? if it running on your PC try also  " 127.0.0.1:9000 ". if running on the  BS5 then you must be in Windows XP Embedded  (Service Menu) of your BS5. You can install Twonky on a Mac/PC/NAS/BS5 (= a PC)/Linux and yes you can reinstall it.

advice: first install it on your PC to learn how Twonky works.

Salli
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Salli replied on Thu, May 6 2021 6:14 PM

Thanks for answer. Exectly, so it ease. I control from PC (Beo/Twonky only MUSIC) but on "Z:" i can handle Video and Audio. Correct, Twonky does not see "mp4" but i think there is no folder "Videos" anyway.  Twonky is (as far as i know installed on BM5 by technicen) Ok, i understand,  I will "first install it on PC to learn how it works" ;-)  (I tried to install on BM 5, but does not work)       Tanks Salli

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, May 7 2021 4:43 AM

for explanation of Twonky see

Twonky Server FAQ for End-users - Twonky FAQ - Twonky Docs

advice: use German (I presume) sometimes to be more specific

Salli
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Salli replied on Fri, May 7 2021 7:47 AM

Thank you for your effort. 

BUT, do i have to install on "C:" ? My BM5 is running on "Z:" !! Or does it run automaticly?  Salli.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, May 7 2021 10:33 AM
Salli:

Thank you for your effort.

BUT, do i have to install on "C:" ? My BM5 is running on "Z:" !! Or does it run automaticly? Salli.

Install it on the PC not on the BS5, thus the “C”
Salli
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Salli replied on Fri, May 7 2021 12:56 PM

Thank you. First time i worked with "Twonky" ! Running, but, NO M.VIDEO files. That means i can play/manage AUDIO, put not M.VIDEO. (mp4) And there is no "Harddisc Z:" shown on display. Must be connected, because the AUDIO files, but noch M.VIDEOS.  Same like Beo/Twonky - Plaayer. No Video files. I play them on "Z:" right klick - playback on - BEOMASTER5. That works well.  (But only on PC, not on Laptop and Phon)   Thank you for your help.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, May 7 2021 3:11 PM

1. PC with Twonky and BS5 and your phone are all on the same network?

2. Did you add the directories in Twonky where it can find the media (audio AND video)?

3. To be sure - you do not expect to view MP4 video's on your BS5?

Salli
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Salli replied on Fri, May 7 2021 5:37 PM

:-) Thanks for help, runnig well....

1.  - same network....

2. - ....... it took a lot of time...... (did not expect)  running slow..... !!

3. - only................   :-) suuuupersound ;-)  

Thanks from Vienna.

Edoardo
Top 500 Contributor
San Marino
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Edoardo replied on Mon, Jul 12 2021 9:50 PM

Hello Wild Ruedi

congratulations for having replaced the HDD to SSD; really interesting.

Being the HDD of my BS5 (1Tb capacity) almost full, I would need to replace the original HDD for a SSD with more storage capacity.

Did you try to do that? Do you think it's possible?

Thank you in advance

Edoardo
Top 500 Contributor
San Marino
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Edoardo replied on Mon, Jul 12 2021 9:53 PM

Hello, about Spotify, is still possible to use it through BS5?

In case, what should I do to do it?

Regards

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

HI, thank you for the reply. Sorry, I have no experience with larger SSD. At first sight, Ican not see a problem, try and let us know! Best regards Ruedi

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Spotify is no more in business with B&O. Please search the forum for more advice.

Page 1 of 1 (40 items) | RSS