Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to connect Beolab 7.2 center speaker with my Vizio TV

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

amare
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amare Posted: Wed, Mar 8 2017 3:27 AM

I got an old BO TV from a friend (BeoVision 7-40 MMK4). It works fine. However, I have a better bigger Vizio smart TV that I would like to connect to the BeoLab 7.2 Center Speaker. I bought a powerlink adapter (7-din male on one end and RCA male on the other end) on ebay and tried to connect the speaker with the TV. There is no sound coming from the speakers. What else do I need? Do I need receivers? Please advise me.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi amare,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Yes, I can help!  The only way to connect the Beolab 7-2 speaker directly to your non-B&O TV is to use the headphone socket on the TV, as this is the only socket where the volume of the sound can be controlled.  Your Beolab 7-2 speaker needs a special powered cable to generate the trigger signals that would normally be sent from a B&O television (please note that the speaker also requires its mains power cord):-

http://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/102--trigger-trs-.html

The standard RCA to DIN cable that you bought on eBay won't work for this speaker (hopefully the seller should have been aware of this?) - I would suggest returning the cable to them as it is unsuitable for your speaker.

You can add a receiver if you have more speakers and you want full surround sound, but using the TV headphone socket to connect the speaker directly is the simplest option.

If the TV doesn't have a headphone socket, then please get back in touch and I can confirm some other options to consider.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 172
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 3:25 PM

A slightly more elegant solution if your Vizio has optical out (read: costly) is to get a Beoplay S8 connection hub, get the correct Powerlink RJ45-DIN cables and connect them together. This way triggering and volume control is all done via the television remote and be most likely a better connection than the headphones port.

Vizio toslink optical > Beoplay S8 hub optical, PL out > BL 7.2 PL in

I always recommend the Beoplay S8 hub highly for connecting b&o speakers to non-b&o systems especially televisions. It's really the perfect box for the job.

amare
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amare replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:44 PM

Thanks Steve,

I will try the powered cable solution you mentioned.My Vizio TV doesn't have a headphone socket, but I have another TV with a headphone socket. Just in case, please let me know your solution for a TV with no such socket.

I am not sure about a receiver, though. Is it worth to spend more just for (additional??) surround sound?

Yes, I will return the cable I got from ebay (I am mad now that the seller advertised it as though it works fine to connect BO speaker to non BO TV)

Thanks again

Amare

amare
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amare replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:50 PM

Hi Davidr

Yes, my TV has optical out. The connection hub you mentioned look a bit costly. It is good to know that I have now more options, though.

Thanks fro the advice

Amare

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Amare,

The TV headphone socket is the simplest (and cheapest) option for stereo sound, as you just need the powered cable.  If the TV only has an optical socket, then the Beoplay S8 Hub that Davidr mentioned (£149 GBP from UK B&O stores) is the cheapest alternative, as this converts the optical signal to an electrical audio output and gives you control of the speaker volume via the TV remote.

Adding a receiver is an option, but this is likely to be the most expensive solution (I would estimate around £500 GBP upwards based on UK prices).  You would need to find a receiver with an optical audio input and (ideally but not essential) it should have pre-out sockets for all audio channels if possible.  The receiver has the advantage of allowing you to add more speakers for surround sound in the future if you wish.

If you need further advice, please let us know your preferred option.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amare
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amare replied on Wed, Mar 15 2017 3:21 AM

Hi Steve,

I just ordered the powered cable from your company. I expect to get it here in the US in 7 days. I will report back by then.

Thanks for the advice

Amare.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Amare,

The TV headphone socket is the simplest (and cheapest) option for stereo sound, as you just need the powered cable.  If the TV only has an optical socket, then the Beoplay S8 Hub that Davidr mentioned (£149 GBP from UK B&O stores) is the cheapest alternative, as this converts the optical signal to an electrical audio output and gives you control of the speaker volume via the TV remote.

Adding a receiver is an option, but this is likely to be the most expensive solution (I would estimate around £500 GBP upwards based on UK prices).  You would need to find a receiver with an optical audio input and (ideally but not essential) it should have pre-out sockets for all audio channels if possible.  The receiver has the advantage of allowing you to add more speakers for surround sound in the future if you wish.

If you need further advice, please let us know your preferred option.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Amare,

Thanks for your purchase, this is in the post to you today by Airmail.   I have had reports of mail reaching USA from UK in as little as 3 days, but 7 to 14 days is more typical.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amare
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
amare replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:00 AM

Hi Steve

I got the cable today. My Beolab center speaker finally came to life: it works when I connect it with one of my TVs that has a headphone socket.

Steve, can you please also advise me if there is a simple/cheapest way to connect the speaker with a TV that doesn't have a headphone socket (only have RCA, HDMI, USB and Optical and Ethernet sockets)?

Thank you very much for your guidance

Amare.

Hi Amare,

Thanks for your purchase, this is in the post to you today by Airmail.   I have had reports of mail reaching USA from UK in as little as 3 days, but 7 to 14 days is more typical.

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Amare,

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Amare,

Thanks for letting me know that this arrived safely.  For TVs that don't have a headphone socket, the simplest option is to buy a Beoplay S8 Connection Hub (£149 GBP from B&O stores) as this allows the optical or RCA output to be used to connect to Beolab speakers.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sam
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Sam replied on Sat, Jun 8 2019 4:47 AM

Hi Steve,

i one a Samsung 4K TV and just purchased a Beolab 7-2 center speaker. I understand I need the S8 in order to connect it to my tv. Which cords do I exactly need (from tv to S8 & S8 to 7-2) and can you point me in the right direction where to find them on your sight.

Thanks in advance. 

Sam

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Sam,

Welcome to Beoworld!

If your TV doesn't have a headphone socket fitted then you need to get a Beoplay S8 Connection Hub (£149 GBP from your local B&O store) to connect between the TV optical output and the speaker - this will convert the optical signal to audio and give you control of the speaker volume via the TV remote.

Please use an optical cable from the TV to the S8 Hub: https://soundsheavenly.com/tv-input/premium-braided-toslink-optical-cable-with-metal-plugs

Please use this cable from the S8 Hub to the Beolab 7-2 speaker: https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/rj45-to-powerlink-compatible-all-in-one-cable-convert-new-2013-ethernet-powerlink-to-traditional-8-pin-din-powerlink

If you need any further help, please ask.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sam
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Sam replied on Sat, Jun 8 2019 3:55 PM

Thank you very much Steve. By using this method, is there any quality lost?

Thank you again.

best, Sam

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Sam,

There is no loss of quality via the B&O Hub.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sam
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Sam replied on Sat, Jun 8 2019 8:27 PM

Thank you again Steve. Just placed the order!

kind regards,

Sam

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks Sam,

I will get the cables posted on Monday morning, please ask if you need any further help!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sam
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Sam replied on Sun, Jun 16 2019 4:45 AM

Received the cables, once again, thank you Steve.

i was excited to connect the sound bar then, no sound. I have tried resetting my Samsung TV, unplugging, reconnecting everything but to no avail. I read here from a previous thread that there is a cover behind the speaker where a light is supposed to be, red, green and amber. I pulled the cover off and don’t see any lights. Does this mean the speaker has no power?

I’m so gutted right now....

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Samizodo,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.  Yes, if there is no light under the rubber cover within the cable alcove then the speaker has no power.  Please check the mains cable that you are using to power the speaker, if this works on other devices then you are likely to have a faulty speaker.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sun, Jun 16 2019 9:38 AM

Hi Steve.

The obvious question,- how is the speaker triggered?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

The speaker is triggered via a signal within the Powerlink input, jut as it is when connected to a B&O TV.  The normal mains power cable is still required.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sun, Jun 16 2019 1:10 PM

Hi,

The speaker is triggered via a signal within the Powerlink input, jut as it is when connected to a B&O TV.  The normal mains power cable is still required.

Kind regards, Steve.

I know Steve.... Smile But since this in not a B&O tv... ?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi

Sorry for not explaining very well! My cable connects to the headphone socket of the non B&O tv and adds a trigger signal to activate the speaker.  Hence, the speaker thinks that it is connected to a B&O tv.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sam
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Sam replied on Mon, Jun 17 2019 5:57 PM

Steve,

Do I need any other cables besides the ones I ordered from you to make the speaker work?

Thank you 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Sam,

Yes, you do need a mains power cord for the speaker as well, like this one (US version shown in link): https://soundsheavenly.com/tv-misc/98-220-usa-canada-mains-cable-for-bo-bang-and-olufsen.html#/3-length-2m

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

suneetjulka
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

Would you happen to know if it’s possible to connect a BeoLab 7.2 to the headphone jack on a LG CX TV and also be able to use other BeoLabs connected via Wisa at the same time.  Will the TV be able to do this?

I am thinking to replace my Avant with an LG CX but use my existing BeoLabs.

Many thanks,

Suneet

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Suneet,

I am sorry but I don't think this is possible.  If you want to use more than two speakers you will need an AV receiver with pre-out sockets, as the TV only produces stereo sound.

Please let me know the full list of speakers that you wish to connect?  I can then advise on the options for wired connection (sorry I don't know about WiSA, as I just make wires!)

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS