Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BEOCENTER 7700 help

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
justanewbie Posted: Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:23 PM

Hello to all!

Let me begin by saying that I am a newbie, looking for advice and guidance on how to repair this newly acquired piece of machinery.  I recently picked up a Beocenter 7700 from a local Goodwill store for 20 dollars.  I figured it would go great with my record and cassette collection that I have.

Cosmetically it looks great.  Only a few scratches, and once I cleaned it up it looks awesome.

Here are the problems:

The cassette deck does not play, ffw, or rwd.  It ejects fine, lights up when there is a cassette in it, but whenever I press any type of the above mentioned buttons it just makes a loud clicking sound and thats it.

The biggest problem I see, and probably the reason it was so cheap is the tone arm is completely off!  Overall the stylus and arm seem like they are in good shape, but it is just not attached.  There are some exposed wires on it, but it doesn't look like it was torn off by force...

When I press the phone play button, the displays light up, but the platter does not spin.  The only time it spins is when I press the "turn" button.  If it was the belt, then it would not turn at all right?

Any advice/response would be great, and thank you taking the time to read my post.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 12:51 AM

Hello there

The cassette mechanism definitely needs new belts.

About the turntable/'phono' section:
-as You say -if it spins when you press 'turn' it's not the motor or belt that's the problem. If the tonearm is 'completely off' as you say...Now that's a problem...Then it offcourse has to be reattatched. That's not an easy task. Maybe if you could post a picture it would be easier to come up with some good advice...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Hello and thank you for the response.  I tried to upload some photos but I think the files are too large, heck I even tried to load a video showing the issues...but it seems as if i can't load more than one at a time...here you go...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

here is another

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

another...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

yet another...with the arm attached...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

a closer look...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

and finally closed....what a beauty!

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

On another note is changing the belt for the cassette player an easy fix...I think I could figure it out...hopefully....lol...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Am I correct in assuming that in the picture it shows the belt snapped off on the bottom right?

I read some of the older post about changing the belts...seems like a fellow named Dillen can supply some belts, is he still active around here?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dillen is our guru, when it comes to vintage, just search for him and then send him a mail about your needs

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

I have contacted him...really smart dude!  

Here are some other pictures of the tonearm...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Here is the other...

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:10 PM

I've never seen a tonearm completely off like that.

As I see it, the big problem is to get those thin copper wires connected again -in the right way...Hmm

I hope somebody can give you some good advice here...

justanewbie
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Pretty weird right!  I will post pics of the underside of the turntable later.  The wires underneath are still attached to area were they split off into individual wires and connected to a board.  Its as if someone just cut the wire half way from the under side to the tonearm.  Pardon my ignorance, but can't I just twist the wires back together somehow? 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS