Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

USA family trip this summer

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr Posted: Tue, Jun 27 2017 8:46 AM

Dear forum,

no idea where to post this, so just put it in this section.

We will be traveling the US this summer (July/August) and already have a very friendly offer from a forum member to show us some of LA. Great opportunity for us to see the city from a local point of view.

We will be in San Francisco driving down the highway 1 to LA, going from there to Las Vegas.
Already pretty booked out during the days, what would be a nice place to have dinner or a show to visit?

From Las Vegas we will fly to Atlanta, GA and drive to southern Kentucky and from there to for Nashville, TN, then to Orlando, FL. But here our days are not planned yet so open for offers.

We will be a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids (16 and 14 years old). - almost like the Griswalds ;-)

Thanks for any input!
Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Jun 27 2017 9:30 PM

If you like steak, you will never have a better one than the Outback Steak House, next to M&M World towards the end of the strip (Tropicana end).

They serve the 'Prime USDA' in there, and are one of only five or six of the chain to serve this in the whole of the USA. It's not cheap, but your knife will literally fall through it and it melts in your mouth (genuine apologies to all the vegans and vegetarians).

Where are you staying in Vegas?

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Tue, Jun 27 2017 9:33 PM

Hey there! 

I currently live in Atlanta GA, and also lived in Tennessee for a few years.  I could give you plenty to do and see while you are in the Atlanta area, and give some suggestions for Nashville as well.  

-Tucker

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 9:22 AM
9 LEE:
If you like steak, you will never have a better one than the Outback Steak House, next to M&M World towards the end of the strip (Tropicana end).

They serve the 'Prime USDA' in there, and are one of only five or six of the chain to serve this in the whole of the USA. It's not cheap, but your knife will literally fall through it and it melts in your mouth (genuine apologies to all the vegans and vegetarians).

Where are you staying in Vegas?

Hi Lee,

thanks for the recommendation - We are BBQing a lot so will enjoy a good steak!

Staying at the Trump International, so the Outback Steak House on S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89109, USA will be the closest of the 3 in LV. Checked the menu and saw Prime USDA is serverd there as well.

Thanks again Ralf

PS: Now I am hungry for steak ;-))

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 9:31 AM

Tucker:

Hey there! 

I currently live in Atlanta GA, and also lived in Tennessee for a few years.  I could give you plenty to do and see while you are in the Atlanta area, and give some suggestions for Nashville as well.  

-Tucker

Hi Tucker,

since we will arrive by plane at about 5:30 pm we decided to drive to Chattanooga (2 hours) and just spend the night and get up early the next morning to drive to Bowling Green KY (3 hours). I have been visiting Atlanta in the 90s (just seem to remember a lot of malls....).
Woudl you suggest NOT choosing Chattanooga but some other place (on the way to Bowling Green KY)?

For Nashville TN, what would you suggest?
We will be there for 2 days / 3 nights.

Thanks again for your kind offer.
Ralf

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 9:28 PM
Learnt today to see RCA studios and Country Hall of Fame in Nashville. Main street has lots of live music and Roberts Western World is a must see.

Can't wait to go!

Ralf

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jul 4 2017 3:22 PM

If you do manage to spend any time in Atlanta, you must see the aquarium. It was the largest in the world until Singapore built theirs, specifically designed to be a bit larger than Atlanta to gain the title. Also, the botanical gardens and Stone Mountain are interesting.

About the only thing in Orlando is Disney World, or as I call it, Mauswitcz. I lived in Orlando until recently, and came to loathe the town, a plastic tourist hellhole of amusement parks and sub minimum wage slaves. A trip over to Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center is worth the drive, and I find Tampa a nice wander, especially Ybor City (Columbia Restaurant is amazingly good).

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Wed, Jul 5 2017 7:25 PM

I totally agree with Jeff, he has some great recommendations for Atlanta.  If you are a foodie or a beer lover I can give you some great recommendations for Atlanta and a couple for Nashville as well.  I feel the same way about Orlando, its a total tourist trap.  

Chattanooga is pretty cool, but it is a small city and you probably only want to spend one day there.  I like to stay at The Read House Hotel, It is claimed to be haunted so that makes it a little more interesting, and the building is beautiful.

In Nashville I like to go to The Fleet Street Pub.  It is a Sweeney Todd themed British Pub that has great food and beer selection, and is a perfect place to catch a good Football/Soccer match.  Just a couple blocks walk from there is a place the kids would love called Rocket Fizz.  Its a 1950s themed candy shop with tons of cool retro candy and soda pop. My girlfriend always loves to stop there.  

Another place in Atlanta to stop in for lunch would be The Sundial Restaurant.  (or maybe just stop for a drink and appetizers as it can be expensive)  It is on the top floor of the highest building in Atlanta and the entire restaurant spins around 360 degrees every hour so you get perfect panoramic views of the city.  

Let me know more about what you prefer and I will help you if I can!

-Tucker 

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 223
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Wed, Jul 5 2017 7:59 PM

Sorry,.... "Outback Steakhouse"?! That's like recommending McDonald's for a good burger, Red Lobster for good seafood, Taco Bell for a good burrito.... (though McDonald's in the US might be an experience).

If you want a legitimate steak, Ruth Chris is a reliable place to go. There's one in SF and LV.

... and M&M World? M&M World = Tourist Trap store.

Though LV isn't exactly a kid's place to go, there's plenty of visual experiences that are more family friendly - Bellagio fountains/gardens, Venetian canals, not to mention countless shows. The kid's will probably enjoy the arcade/fair environment of Circus Circus.

While you're in San Francisco, I would try to fit any of the following on your list:

• Sausalito (Marin Countiy, north side of the Golden Gate Bridge)
  • Lombard Street
  • Twin Peaks
  • Union Square
  • Chinatown
  • Palace of Fine Arts
  • Cable Car ride
  • SF Ferry Building/Embarcadero
  • SFMOMA
  • Baseball game at AT&T Park (schedule permitting)

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Wed, Jul 5 2017 10:18 PM

I 2nd the Outback comment, prime steak is probably still excellent but I think traditionally a steak dinner is something very upscale. Ruth Criss is a larger chain, there is Harris in San Fran which ages the meat on premise, you see it from outside the restaurant. I would recommend to look around a bit if steak is your thing, since its expensive check everything, experience varies widely. Some do more modern fusions things, some special cuts on the bone, there is usually some sort of theme.

On Fridays in SF, if you like low key I would hit the Off the Grid festival in Fort Mason. Its a food truck festival, they have cocktails wine and beer as well, you have a killer view of the bridge. There is music as well.  Just pack a warm jacket, SF in Summer is often cold. 

https://offthegrid.com/fmcfaq/

For sights, maybe Haight Street and from there into Golden Gate park, there are quiet a few attractions there. I also would recommend checking out the mission 24th street if you have a bit of time.

While your in san francisco I would recommend to skip the car, download Uber app, that might not be that much more than bus for a family of 4

For driving route 1, Big Sure is obviously super nice and I would recommend spending some time there and than same for the area around Malibu. Monterey Bay Aquarium might be interesting for the kiddos but is fairly touristy.

Note also that there was a large land slide, I think they blocked parts of Route 1, do check on this.

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 223
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 7:13 AM

jk1002:

I 2nd the Outback comment, prime steak is probably still excellent but I think traditionally a steak dinner is something very upscale. Ruth Criss is a larger chain, there is Harris in San Fran which ages the meat on premise, you see it from outside the restaurant. I would recommend to look around a bit if steak is your thing, since its expensive check everything, experience varies widely. Some do more modern fusions things, some special cuts on the bone, there is usually some sort of theme.

On Fridays in SF, if you like low key I would hit the Off the Grid festival in Fort Mason. Its a food truck festival, they have cocktails wine and beer as well, you have a killer view of the bridge. There is music as well.  Just pack a warm jacket, SF in Summer is often cold. 

https://offthegrid.com/fmcfaq/

For sights, maybe Haight Street and from there into Golden Gate park, there are quiet a few attractions there. I also would recommend checking out the mission 24th street if you have a bit of time.

While your in san francisco I would recommend to skip the car, download Uber app, that might not be that much more than bus for a family of 4

For driving route 1, Big Sure is obviously super nice and I would recommend spending some time there and than same for the area around Malibu. Monterey Bay Aquarium might be interesting for the kiddos but is fairly touristy.

Note also that there was a large land slide, I think they blocked parts of Route 1, do check on this.

Oh man, I forgot about the HWY 1 landslide. Yeah... don't think that's sorted. Hopefully these comments are read before he hits the road in that direction  

Love the recommendation on Harris... killer spot. I just figured Ruth Chris gave the option for SF or LV dining. Sounds like you're in the Bay Area as well, jk1002?

BTW, was this thread supposed to go back to B&O at some point?

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 9:48 PM

As far as a good steak, the best I have had is the dry aged ribeye at Rathbun's in the Old Fourth Ward of Atlanta.  Absolutely amazing.  I would never recommend a steak from a mainstream chain, the specialty steakhouses are always the best...  

Check out Rathbun's here...  

http://www.kevinrathbun.com/restaurants.html 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
This is a nice thread, and a nice idea.

Last year we drove to Switzerland, and on the way back met up with a fellow Beoworlder in Mulhouse. It was nice to meet up with this charming gentleman, and also gain some local knowledge from someone of similar tastes.

Have a great trip.Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Mon, Jul 10 2017 10:57 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped with ideas for our trip. I am on business travel right now so will try to follow your suggestions by updating some of our places to go within the next days. Can't wait to go. Thanks again!

Ralf

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS