Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Is my Avant RF32dvd - poorly???

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

bentleybaz
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
bentleybaz Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:25 PM

Hi guys, just turned on my avant tv and it was on for maybe 20 seconds, then there was possibly a small flash or bright section on the screen, then the curtains closed and it turned off, the connected speakers ( linked through beosound 9000) powered down but the pentas displays remained. 

Have tryed to us the cd only on 9000. This fires up the tv but all shuts down on its own 10 seconds later.

Tried again, cd played but cannot get themenu display on the tv, or indeed the electric visual curtains may not be opening either???????

help??? Is it buggered????

Any ideas welcome, you have  sorted me in the past!!!!! 

Regards Baz

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:30 PM

I would start eliminating the possible cause (by unplugging) BM 9000 or and speakers or follow what happened since last time and might caused it :)

if the Avant works by it selves - there's your answer Wink

Don't worry - be Happy

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:56 PM

Okay, the fact the TV took the time to close the curtains then power down is a real curve-ball in this issue.

Usually, when an Avant shuts itself down it does it quickly and with the minimum of fuss, because it's protecting itself.  This is usually because the tube is on its way out and is drawing a huge current, which kind of trips it out and causes it to turn off.

Other issues which cause Avants to shut down are the power supply unit having a fault. This is not uncommon, but it's more than likely the tube.

In my experience (and i've had a lot of Avants pass through my hands over the years!) you should look at the type number.  If it's 8443, it's an early one - and with a lot of usage, the tube has probably worn out.  Type 8453 are built like tanks, and seem to be bulletproof, and the final version, Type 8463 seem to have pretty weak tubes and can expire even with minimal use.

The bright flash on your screen though would indicate to me that the tube has gone..   However, I lay no claim to being an engineer - and this is who needs to look at your TV for a proper diagnosis!

Lee

bentleybaz
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

Hi i un linked the set,cstill nothing, it turns on then stays blank then turns off without repositioning the stand, no menu display can be seen. It is the latter 8463 unit! 

Dam . Possibly the tube then?  Worth repairing or getting another .seen for about £600 in a shop.

Thanks for the reply

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 11:51 PM

I'd had it look at by qualified engineer as Lee suggested, before getting any further Erm.. - good luck

Don't worry - be Happy

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS