Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLit 12 DOA

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Busterbird
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Busterbird Posted: Fri, Jul 14 2017 2:39 PM

My BeoLit 12 has suddenly and inexplicably gone dead. It is nearly always plugged in, and the battery light was green the day before the following occurred. The device was plugged into an electrical outlet and I was listening to music on it from my iPad, connected via USB. 

I unplugged the iPad, and then turned the BeoLit 12 off. The next day, it was dead. It will not turn on. I attempted to reset it, both a soft reset (using the power button) and a factory reset, but it seems to be dead.

I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it. This one was a replacement after issues with my original one.

I received a reply from Customer Service that the battery must be dead and if it's in warranty, blah blah. Or get a new battery. My local B&O has closed. I am assuming it is no longer in warranty, so...

Does anyone know where I can get a new battery, can I replace it myself, and an idea of cost?

I am disappointed in what is turning out to be an expensive paperweight. Items of this quality and price shouldn't die after a year or two.

Thank you for any advice!

-Casey

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 8:39 AM

Dear Casey,

it's always annoying when a nice device malfunctions or goes unusable.
The Beolit 12 is still a very nice device I prefer over the Beolit 15 and 17 because of Beo 4 remote control capability.

How old is your Beolit 12?
The "out of warranty" thing is no reason to be mad about a company. Nobody can give you a life time warranty and even a Rolls Royce sometimes has problems. ;)

The battery should be available as a spare part and can be ordered through every B&O dealer. As your local dealer closed you can easily locate another dealer near you on the store finder of the Bang & Olufsen website:
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/find-store

Maybe the battery of Beolit 12, 15 and 17 are the same... than you could order one of those instead. But this is just an assumption! I don't have any technical information about that. Maybe other forum members know about this topic.

If you think you are capable of, you can disassemble the Beolit 12 by yourself. If you know somebody that is/seems capable of: Ask him.
Otherwise there are nice dealers with nice technicians who can help you.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 9:32 AM

Not great news

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22117.aspx

Peter

Busterbird
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

Thank you - I read that thread and it got me worried. I will contact a dealer and request more information. I am currently verifying if my device is still under warranty (I do not think it is, however).

When I get more concrete information I will share in this thread. I had hoped someone else had experienced the same issue (in the US) and knew the answers for the three important questions:

1. Is it really the battery or is there a reset trick?
  2. Is a new battery available and how much will it cost?
  3. Is battery replacement a do-it-yourself task?

Thank you again. More to follow.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Mon, Jul 17 2017 8:11 PM

To open the beloit 12 I guess it could be like for the beloit 15. I had to do it once because the BL15 was completely stuck... The beocare told me to follow this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOCPzLUiVLw&list=PLRPmJ785xnMi1dDx2BiYZ59yL-hOsNITD

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Mon, Jul 17 2017 9:15 PM

TWG:
Maybe the battery of Beolit 12, 15 and 17 are the same... than you could order one of those instead. But this is just an assumption! I don't have any technical information about that. Maybe other forum members know about this topic.

Beolit 12 and 15 batteries are completely different, so ordering a 15 battery is a no go. Both should be equally easy to replace, though, if a part is available.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Busterbird
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

Hello - I have an update. I received verification from B&O Customer Service that this second device is under warranty and I am to send it back to them for repair or possibly for another replacement.

Thank you for your replies.

Busterbird
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

Last post regarding this. Unfortunately the BeoLit 12 could not be repaired and the ones they had available as replacement options did not go with my decor. They offered a refurb BeoLit 15 in a color I like, and I went with that. Hoping this one gives me better results with longer life and no issues.

I appreciate the excellent customer service. Thank you for your interest in this.

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Mon, Aug 14 2017 7:41 PM

That's nice. Beolit 15 is a much better product in many ways, sound not being the least of them.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Busterbird
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

I didn't realize how much different-sounding the BeoLit 15 would be compared to the BeoLit 12. You are right - it is a FINE replacement. And they said it was refurb, but it was packed with all film and everything brand new. If that is refurb, I say that is also great!

I love the ease of Bluetooth, and the click buttons compared to the touch are easier for me to use.

I was well taken care of by B&O customer service and I am grateful.

tuzoweta
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
tuzoweta replied on Tue, Apr 23 2019 6:47 AM

BeoLIT with the model number of the twelve is now mostly it the cases of the coming time having dead then for the good one. Then my speakers with the update model is not dead yet so for the boom essays review I will close and only boom will sound on my room.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS