Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Stupid Beo4 Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA Posted: Fri, Sep 14 2012 8:19 AM

Hi

I am finally the owner of a mint Beo4. Question....does the display never go off? So if I select cd...will it stay on showing cd forever if I never touch it again?

Thanks

Ben

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 8:21 AM

Yes, it is!

Brengen & Ophalen

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 10:59 AM

Sorry...just to clarify...is that yes it stays on or yes it is supposed to go off? lol!!

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 11:17 AM

Yes it stays on!

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 11:56 AM

Thanks for the help!! Quite a wierd idea that it stays on all the time :)

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 12:03 PM
Don't be scared about the batteries though.

With my old beo4 I used from 1995 to 2009, I changed the batteries once !

Gregory
Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:04 PM

BenSA:
Thanks for the help!! Quite a wierd idea that it stays on all the time :)

If all your equipment is on standby and you press GO on the Beo4, it will turn on the most recently used source = the one that is displayed on the Beo4. If the display went blank after use, this feature wouldn't be quite as handy. Smile

- Dennis

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:09 PM

That is very useful and clever!! Thank you for the tip and help everyone

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:07 PM

BenSA:

Sorry...just to clarify...is that yes it stays on or yes it is supposed to go off? lol!!

Yes my dear friend, the display is always on and will never gett off unless the batterie is out of power!

Brengen & Ophalen

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:46 PM

Leslie:

BenSA:

Yes my dear friend, the display is always on and will never gett off unless the batterie is out of power!

I suspect that the display technology draws little or no power .... I think it relies on flipping the "bits" to create a pattern that reflects the letters under light.

After all it does not glow in the dark ....................................... does it ?

BeoNut since '75

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 2:03 PM

elephant:

I suspect that the display technology draws little or no power .... I think it relies on flipping the "bits" to create a pattern that reflects the letters under light.

After all it does not glow in the dark ....................................... does it ?

It's a regular LCD display, based on light polarization that can be changed by an electric field. It doesn't emit any light by itself and there's no backlight either. In theory, they could be driven statically (only requiring power when a pixel changes state) but in practice that would damage the display in the long run. Therefore the controller electronics need to work all the time and drive every "on" pixel with AC voltage - however, this needs very little energy, and the Beo4 (as most other B&O remote controllers) seem to be extremely well designed regarding this. Even if a remote doesn't have a display, the microprocessor in it still needs to wake up & run regularly to scan the keyboard, so a simple display doesn't add much to the power consumption. All of this is dwarfed by the power needed to actually send something via IR.

I have yet to replace a set of batteries in any of my Beo4s!

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS