Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8002: Spring adjustment & Platter Height

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

dbxdx5
Not Ranked
New Jersey
Posts 65
Bronze Member
dbxdx5 Posted: Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:54 AM

So I'd been noticing that the platter on my 8002 doesn't seem to be level when spinning, i.e. records look like they're undulating/oscillating when viewed from the side they spin. According to the manual, the top of the platter should be 2mm higher than the cover plate around it. But not only is it tough to measure that 2 mm all around, but it seems as if that height doesn't necessarily correlate with the platter being level all around, using a round bubble level. My question is: What's more important? Exactly 2mm all around and not completely level (the right side is always a bit low) or that I get it close to 2mm but much more level?

Thanks

Matt

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 7:21 AM

The height of the platter in relation to the surrounding surface is not very important.
It's merely a matter of getting the best (max) out of the dampening springs travel and making sure nothing
rubs on anything, including the record edge on the aluminum surround.
It's also very difficult to take off a record if the platter sits too low since you cannot get to the records edge.

If your deck sits on a level surface but the platter is not level, it must be adjusted to level using the three screws at the
leaf springs under the platter and the black metal plate under the tonearms parked position.

If the platter is warped, it must be straightened or replaced.

Martin

dbxdx5
Not Ranked
New Jersey
Posts 65
Bronze Member
dbxdx5 replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:36 PM

Thanks Martin. That's what I was figuring, but I wanted to be sure. In terms of the platter, I didn't realize that the aluminum can become warped. How does that happen? I'm going to check the platter off of the turntable to make sure it's true.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:38 PM

How it happens I cannot say, but I have seen a couple of warped platters in my time.
Dropped on the floor perhaps.

Martin

dbxdx5
Not Ranked
New Jersey
Posts 65
Bronze Member
dbxdx5 replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 6:39 PM

The platter seems fine. I think the problem was that the sub platter wasn't properly seated, with the three tabs lining up in the slots on the center hub. After I reseated it, the top platter was easier to get pretty close to level all around. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS