Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

A Vintage Classic. Hi Fi Amplifier 610

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker Posted: Sun, Sep 30 2012 1:58 PM

As I'm sure some of you are aware, there was a beauty on for sale recently. A Hi Fi Amplifier 610. I was the lucky buyer of it. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and have been having some fun cleaning it up. It wasnt in bad shape just grubby.

First thing was to take the chassis out of the case so lets look at the back. Lovely and crisp with just a couple of splashes on one corner

Then off with the back,

All good so far...

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 2:06 PM

Then to take the chassis out..

I dusted the insides lightly, it was actually very clean so all I did was remove the valves (remembering where they went) and the boards and then give every thing a dust. Also a tiny bit of contact spray on a couple of scratchy knobs. Then on to the wood. This got a thorough clean and a good bit of oil with lots of time for it to soak in. The ketchup was not used!

Also on removing the chassis this popped out from underneath. As crisp and clean as the day it was put there in 1963-4. I love it when things like that happen.

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 2:22 PM

So, what does it look like from the front I hear you ask. Well, all back together it looks like this...

The tone indicator wave thingy(!) is great fun and the black and silver gives it a quite modern look, is it the earliest product that B&O made with this colour combo?

More importantly how does it sound. I really cant describe it. I have had examples of most B&O amps (BL5000,4400, 6000, 8000, stacks and 9000) and nothing sounds like this does. Absolutely amazing. Its rated at 15 watts but I have been using it with my Pentas and at half volume the room shakes! Watts certainly were different back then. It really is a great sounding thing and Im sure could put many a more modern bits of kit to shame. Due to its age Im sure things could be improved with a good service but it all works and sounds so nice I'm not going to do anything else except listen to it!

Thanks for reading!

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:27 PM

Nice one Beaker, I cannot get my head around a valve set driving penta's.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 3:53 PM

Lovely! I've only ever seen the version with the blue front (I guess that is 609).

beaker:
Absolutely amazing. Its rated at 15 watts but I have been using it with my Pentas and at half volume the room shakes! Watts certainly were different back then.

I once tried my Pentas with the Dirigent and it was quite a jaw dropping experience as well (and the Dirigent is only rated at 2 x 4W as I recall). I believe I'll set up that system again once I resurrect the Pentas from storage - all my regular setups have Beolabs nowadays and the Pentas have been sitting unused ever since I moved. The Pentas are actually rather sensitive and they don't need much power to play well, contrary to what most people think...

--mika

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 4:11 PM

Great find Beaker! Bit envious nowWink Let's see if I can find a beauty like the one you have...

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Beautiful piece, congratulation Beaker

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 5:25 PM

Hey, something vintage. Wonderful ! Laughing

Indeed a nice piece, congratulations !  Yes - thumbs up
And you did a fine job shining it up.

The sound it produces is best described as valve-sound.
As you suggest yourself, there's really nothing else to compare it to.
Not unlike the larger Grand Prix and Master Deluxe models of the early 1960s, it gives an
effectful, yet warm and incredibly pleasant sound. You can listen to it for hours without
getting tired or even thinking about it.

15 Watts then is still 15 Watts today.
It's the way, they are given in the specs that are different.
I've seen car stereo amplifiers rated at 2x 100W or more. But compare the basics of the
specs and you'll find it's measured in a completely different world.
2x 15 Watts is indeed more than most rooms can take.
It must have been quite impressive when new, listeners would have literally been blown away
when demonstrated in the shop.

Martin

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:14 PM

It does indeed sound similar to my Grand Prix 608 Moderne but this packs a lot more punch! Very easy to listen to as well. Martin do you know what the point of the switch that lets you play the speakers out of phase is. Seems an odd thing to have.

It does look very shiny in the pics but thats the flash, its a nice sheen now.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:12 PM

Indeed you were a lucky buyer - a lovely piece of work - very inspiring 

BeoNut since '75

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 4:41 PM

Congrats!  Very cool piece.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 9:39 PM

Congrats, Beaker

Very nice, this black version.
I once had the 608 version with the blue front. I was only about 12 years old when I bought it second-hand. Mostly because it was cheap - and it was B&O. Yes -already then I was interested in B&O Geeked
I later sold it and bought a brand new Beomaster 901. I regret that now (not that I bought the 901 -but that I sold the 608) Super Angry

Nch
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Nch replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:03 PM

Hi Beaker.

Can I ask what you had to pay for it? The reason I am asking is that two years ago I found a similar amplifier in the loft of a cabin I bought here in Norway. It has a blue front and according to the label it is a model 608. I put in a new fuse and amazingly it worked. The wiring diagram fell out when I opened it up just like with you.

I am not sure whether or not to keep it (I will have to change the sockets on my turntable for a start) so I wondered what they are worth.

Regards, nick

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:27 PM

Generally, the things are worth what people are willing to pay and these vintage things
tend to go for almost anything.
The stereo amplifiers are quite sought after so are usually found in the high end of the lot.
I've seen anything from 300-1200 euros.
Condition is very important and that goes for optical as well as technical.

Martin

636rjb
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Silver Member
636rjb replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:41 PM

I am assuming that the 610 and 608 are technically identical except for the DIN sockets and panel colour  on the 610.  Is this true? I would not wish to mislead..  ...

renjiish
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

Hello friend,

I just bought a tampered B&O valve 608 amplifier. The circuit diagram is missing. Do you mind sending me a scanned copy of your circuit diagram please. It will be really helpful for me to restore this unit. I am really really excited to repair this vintage beauty. I hope you will help me.

Many thanks and best regards

Renjish

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Oct 5 2015 9:36 PM

Welcome to Beoworld !

Beoworld is a great place but it relies greatly on membership income to exist and run.
Servicemanuals, schematics  etc. is available (or can often be made available) for silver and gold members.
Easily worth the small fee.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS