Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Ouverture CD Issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk Posted: Mon, Mar 5 2012 3:02 PM

Hi

I have an Ouverture from the late 90's in my daughters room but it is fussy which CD it plays. It doesn't matter if they're shop bought or CDR's, some play fine, some won't play at all. It's not erratic, it either will play one CD faultlessly but another particular CD it refuses to see.

I have replaced the laser itself as it was simple and cheap to do but that's made no difference. I'm aware of the BC9500's that have that capacitor on the servo board that once replaced with a certain cap repairs the issue but does anyone know or can guide me on the relevant cap on this Ouverture, if it is indeed a possible solution?

There is a guy on eBay who's offering a swap/repair service of the entire VAM unit but I like trying to achieve that sense of self satisfaction on a successful repair.Photobucket

Steve

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member

Bump?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

Is perhaps your replacement laser a "yintong-tidli-po.co" job?That may be the problem.

There are capacitor issues with this module,but they are surface mount jobbies,so need special kit and patience to replace.

Is it an early mark Ouverture?I don't recognise the pcb.

It may seem a daft question,but have you tried cleaning the laser lens.I was well "egged" tother day,when overlooking this!!!

Regards,

Nick

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:49 PM

solderon29:
Is perhaps your replacement laser a "yintong-tidli-po.co" job?

Hi Nick! How did you guess?

Having replaced the laser which made absolutely no difference to it's performance, I figured the problem can't be the actual laser itself. Some CD's it works with, some it refuses to read. It doesn't matter if the CD's are original or CDR's but even after the laser change, the exact same CD's don't or do play. This led me to believe it must be a problem on the servo board.

Yes I did try cleaning the lens at the very beginning. I can only think that the power getting to the laser is weak or something.

Steve

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

You could email or message Die Bogener or Dillen

Regards Graham

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:23 PM

solderon29:
Is perhaps your replacement laser a "yintong-tidli-po.co" job?

Oh man, this really funnyBig Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 10:04 AM

joeyboygolf:

You could email or message Die Bogener or Dillen

Will do Graham. Haven't seen Die Bogener around for ages!

If it is an smd cap issue as Nick suggested then I'm pretty much stuffed as I don't have the tools to replace those.

Nick, the PCB is from the suppliment to the service manual on this site which is a linear CD unit. The Ouvertures started out with a radial CD then changed to the linear unit which mine is. I think I've got that right!

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

The laser assembly in fact comprises the laser,it's control circuit,and both the radial and focus coils,in this mechanism.However,the capacitor issues on the main board are related to power supplies,so could be the culprits.I'll see if I can find the details.

Nick

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

There seem to have been several versions of the CDM12 mech Stonk.Certainly there is no "laser cap",or current to adjust as in earlier designs.With this version it's all carried out within the laser control chip,which is integral to the laser assembly,that you have replaced.It's interesting that the new laser is no better,but even if it's a "Arthur Daelee"(sorry,could'nt resist!) job it seems to work as well as the original.The caps that can cause probs are on the "b" side of the servo board,and have yellow labels marked 330uf and 100uf,c2000&20001.If the labels seem skewiff,and particularly if there appears to  be staining around the base,they are highly suspect.

Regards,

Nick

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:39 PM

Nick, thanks very much! I'll pull it apart again and check it over to see if my nontech eyes can see anything suspicious. I'll take photos of both sides.

Much appreciated.SmileYes - thumbs up

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS