Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Aromat

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff Posted: Wed, Apr 25 2018 11:46 PM

As this site celebrates the Danish lifestyle and gives many of us insights into such, I was curious about Scandinavian (and even the rest of the world's) thoughts here. I recently stubbled upon something completely unheard of here in the U.S.: Aromat. I was curious and ordered some from Europe. It seems that it has quite a huge Scandinavian following. I'd be interested in hearing more about this. At this moment, I'm seasoning some sautéed mushrooms with Aromat. I'm sure this is not the intended use. Please do educate me! Perhaps this is a staple in Danish B&O homes?

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Another American here. I used it on fried potatoes when I was in Portugal, if I'm thinking of the same stuff. MSG is amazing in my opinion but underappreciated by my fellow foodies here. Interested to hear other opinions.
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 12:11 AM

My thoughts exactly. I discovered Aromat from recipes for latkes. Researching it, I found it has a huge Scandinavian, Australian, and South African fan base. I'm a bit fascinated.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 12:13 AM

Well, MSG certainly can give a pop of umami to foods but:

My Chinese friend's father, who was hands down the best Chinese chef I've ever encountered, never used added MSG. His opinion was that Chinese restaurants that slathered it on did so because they used cheap ingredients and needed it to make up for the flavor deficit.

Secondly, to most people it's a non-issue, but if you have a tendency towards migraine headaches stay away. It's noted by most neurologists as one of the prime triggers for migraines in most sufferers.

Interestingly, when you make things like dashi (Japanese soup stock) you use bonito flakes and konbu, a type of seaweed rich in natural glutamates.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member
abyss replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 7:34 AM

This is an original Swiss product. Here is an excerpt from a Swiss newspaper.

What their Vegemite is for the Australians and their Peanut butter for the Americans, their flavour for the Swiss. Aromat is not a spread. It is a vegetable seasoning, a finished product that was promoted from the very beginning by its manufacturer Knorr as an "all-rounder". And so the golden rain trickles out of the yellow-green mini-shaker with the red hat onto the tomato bread as well as into some soup or fish roulade. Every Swiss child knows Aromat - according to Knorr the awareness level is a phenomenal 96 percent. The product, which seems to hit the Swiss gustatory nerve exactly, is not just made from original Swiss ingredients. The flavour enhancer E 621, for example, a sodium glutamate, is a modern type of fermented algae from the Far East. Other ingredients sound more Swiss: table salt, lactose, wheat starch, yeast extract, vegetable fat. Onions, anti-caking agents and spices are also in it. The exact recipe is secret, of course.

The inventor of the Aromat has travelled a long way to be able to mix the perfect spice for Swiss cuisine. Walter Obrist joined Knorr in Thayngen in 1945 at the age of just under 30. Knorr, originally a German company and today a brand of the Unilever Switzerland consumer goods group, has been producing dry soups since 1907. In his search for new herbs and spices, Obrist travelled the world for up to four months each year. In 1952, he found the Aromat recipe and for a year he had been tinkering around, trying out various new components until the management approved the recipe, the 87-year-old had it aligned via Knorr. After the media hype two years ago on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of his spicy creation, he wants to remain undisturbed himself. With his invention, Obrist had to fulfil requirements with which Knorr Maggi, at that time the dominant force on the so-called seasoning market, wanted to outperform. The management wanted a product that would emphasise the taste of the food, be free of meaty ingredients and easy to dose. Above all, however, the natural colour of the food should not be distorted, as the brown meat stock cubes and the liquid seasoning of the big competitor did. All this succeeded. Knorr initially launched the wort as "Knorr plant extract" in a powder bag. But "plant extract" was a name without sex appeal, and so the spice was relaunched in 1953 as an aromatic - first in cube form, then, for better dosage, in the shaker. At the time, the 90-gram can cost CHF 1 65, and she promised the housewife to shorten the cooking time so that she would have more time for all the other blessings of the new prosperity in the 1950s.

Aromat seasoning has been a great success for Knorr. A broad-based advertising campaign made a major contribution to this. Knorr Aromat was praised on the one hand as a "universal seasoning". On the other hand, Aromat spreaders were distributed to restaurants in the first years. These were prominently placed on the tables next to salt and pepper. Other ingredients of the campaign were cooking demonstrations in department stores, cooking studio events for housewives and shop staff, tasting trolleys on campsites and, of course, recipes and samples as well as classic print advertising. Last but not least, an advertising figure promoted sales - Knorrli had already seen the light of day in 1947. Today the red man with a plate face and a pointed cap is swinging his cooking spoon more visibly than before, and soon he receives a Swiss cross at his side. Of the 900 Knorr employees in Thayngen, 200 work in aromat production for Switzerland and the world. 3000 tons per year, half of which is exported, mainly to Germany, France, the USA and Canada. "Aromat is everywhere Swiss," says Knorr. One hardly finds it in Northern Germany, but in Southern Germany, Alsace or the Canary Islands. Product manager Sabine Strehle even reports of diplomatic missions that had asked Knorr about sales outlets abroad after they had been approached by co-advocates with deficiencies. Smart Swiss travellers, as Internet travel reports show, carry their cans with them.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

beojeff:

As this site celebrates the Danish lifestyle and gives many of us insights into such, I was curious about Scandinavian (and even the rest of the world's) thoughts here. I recently stubbled upon something completely unheard of here in the U.S.: Aromat. I was curious and ordered some from Europe. It seems that it has quite a huge Scandinavian following. I'd be interested in hearing more about this. At this moment, I'm seasoning some sautéed mushrooms with Aromat. I'm sure this is not the intended use. Please do educate me! Perhaps this is a staple in Danish B&O homes?

Never heard of it - had to google it!

Have you looked at what is in there ;-(

Certainly not anyrhing that is used in ‘det nye danske køkken’ (you surely won’t find that in better restaurants in DK).

A typical product for those, who can’t make cooking tastefull with ordinary, good and natural products including herbs and spices.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I wonder if it is meant to replace all of this 

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 322
Bronze Member

I live in Schleswig Holstein, a region that was once danish :)

I really don't know if there is a unique danish cuisine? For me it's pretty much the same what we have in northern Germany. Except that the Germans usually use Flensburger Pilsener or Dithmarscher Bier instead of tuborg grön.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Stereomensch:

I live in Schleswig Holstein, a region that was once danish :)

If so, you should be able to understand this ;-)

https://www.dr.dk/presse/smag-paa-danmark-med-meyer-paa-rundtur-i-det-danske-koekken

You may be right for the part of Denmark right north of the border....which was once german

Fair enough -  I should have written ‘new nordic....’.

Actually I think you can find this kind of industrial flavour enhancing (monosodium glutamate-containing) product everywhere.

I don’t think Aromat is very common in Denmark.

Might be more common the more you go south in Germany to the ‘other border’:

https://cuisinehelvetica.com/2017/05/12/ten-facts-about-aromat/

What’s in it (and why I prefer what we have in our cupboard shown above):

https://whatthehellisit.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/what-the-hell-is-aromat-seasoning/

Anyway - as with everything....the choice is yours.

By the way - I would pick the Flens (or the Dithmarcher) over the Grøn Tuborg at any time.

https://youtu.be/PqnMFhZVJIQ

MM

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 322
Bronze Member

Ok, here a few differences / similarities:

(Sorry, I don't know the english expressions for the meals :( ).

1. The Germans from the north don't use Röstzwiebeln that much.

2. In Jütland the danish eat Grünkohl like we do. I don't know if they eat Grünkohl it in the region of Kopenhagen.

3. the German sausages are not red. Red sausages have a long tradition in Denmark.

4. The north Germans usually don't use salted butter.

5. We have white bread, too. But the danish eat their Franskbröd always with poppy (Mohn).

6. Danish limonade is not available in Germany. Instead we have Fritz Cola and Fassbrause.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 4:19 PM

Millemissen:

I wonder if it is meant to replace all of this 

Nice looking spice cabinet MM! Yes - thumbs up

I have a similar sized one, plus I'm the only person I know who keeps at least 6 kinds of soy sauce around.

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Stereomensch:

Ok, here a few differences / similarities:

...and the Germans (in any region) don’t eat ‘smørrebrød’.

....and danes don’t eat ‘Sauerkraut’

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Jeff:

I'm the only person I know who keeps at least 6 kinds of soy sauce around.

Just had a look - we have only 2 ;-)

MM

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

4 here, if you count tamari Erm..
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 6:40 PM

Saint Beogrowler:
Millemissen:

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

4 here, if you count tamari Erm..

Tamari counts! I've got tamari, light soy, dark soy, sweet soy, thick soy, ponzu, and low sodium soy. Surprise You can tell I do a lot of Asian cooking.

Jeff

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:59 PM

So far, I've used Aromat to season latkes, hash browns, and sautéed mushrooms -- all with very nice results. I've read that Aromat is huge in South Africa for street food.

I was recently at a restaurant that seasoned french fries with the Asian seasoning togarashi. I'm waiting for the shipment from Japan.

It's nice to explore outside of one's own culture. I once dated a man from South America who was horrified at the concept of maple syrup. I suppose that's an American and Canadian staple.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 27 2018 12:39 AM

Who could be horrified at maple syrup?!?! And why? Weird. Here's a little secret for buying maple syrup for your waffles and pancakes, if you have the opportunity, buy Grade B not Grade A. A is  more "purified" and B has more real maple flavor. Mashed sweet potatoes are amazing with a ton of butter and some maple syrup and a touch of dark brown sugar, plus salt and pepper, stirred in them. If you can take spicy, one of the best side dishes for beef and pork is mashed sweet potatoes with canned chipotle peppers, plus some of the juice from the can, diced up in them. The smoky, spicy peppers goes perfectly with the sweet taste of the potatoes.

Jeff

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Apr 27 2018 1:04 AM

Jeff:

Who could be horrified at maple syrup?!?! And why? Weird. Here's a little secret for buying maple syrup for your waffles and pancakes, if you have the opportunity, buy Grade B not Grade A. A is  more "purified" and B has more real maple flavor. Mashed sweet potatoes are amazing with a ton of butter and some maple syrup and a touch of dark brown sugar, plus salt and pepper, stirred in them. If you can take spicy, one of the best side dishes for beef and pork is mashed sweet potatoes with canned chipotle peppers, plus some of the juice from the can, diced up in them. The smoky, spicy peppers goes perfectly with the sweet taste of the potatoes.

I totally agree. He would eat foie gras but not maple syrup. He's now an ex..... There are so many amazing uses for maple syrup in cooking that can truly elevate a dish with its complex flavors.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 27 2018 1:57 AM

Mmmmmm...foie gras. Yummy stuff, even if the idiots out in the People's Republik of Kalifornia keep trying to ban it. If you want to sear foie gras you really have to get the pan red hot and not take too long or you wind up with a pan of liquid duck liver, it's like trying to fry a stick of butter.

One restaurant I knew served seared foie gras with black apple butter and granola on it. Just to die for.

Jeff

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sun, Apr 29 2018 5:39 PM

Jeff:
I'm the only person I know who keeps at least 6 kinds of soy sauce around.

"Who's into the mustard?" 
"My dad." 
"Well, you know what that's about. Sex. I mean, all you really need to survive is mild yellow. All this other stuff is purely recreational." 

-- Rayanne and Angela, in "My So-Called Life"

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
beojeff:

I totally agree. He would eat foie gras but not maple syrup. He's now an ex..... There are so many amazing uses for maple syrup in cooking that can truly elevate a dish with its complex flavors.

I like maple syrup with breakfast cous cous and dates.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
trackbeo:

"Who's into the mustard?" "My dad." "Well, you know what that's about. Sex. I mean, all you really need to survive is mild yellow. All this other stuff is purely recreational."

-- Rayanne and Angela, in "My So-Called Life"

😱

Omg I so need more than one mustard.

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 8:15 PM

Jeff, if you haven't had mushroom soy, you should add that to the collection as well! 

-Tucker

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 9:32 PM

Tucker:

Jeff, if you haven't had mushroom soy, you should add that to the collection as well! 

-Tucker

That sounds good! I'll have to look for some.

I've been reading the books in the science fiction series The Expanse, I started watching the TV show and got into the books. One thing interesting is for the outer asteroid belt stations and such, they describe the food and whiskey. Most of it is made from soy, and fungus/mushrooms. Mushroom scotch, mushroom noodles, fungus this and that. Doesn't sound all that appealing in the books but it makes sense from an easy to grow in microgravity viewpoint.

Jeff

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 11:20 PM
Jeff,

I have found it at Dekalb Farmers market as well as the Nam Dae Mun Asian farmers market in Jonesboro. I may be a bit of a drive for you, but both are amazing places for interesting foods.

I may have to check that series out. Sounds interesting... i do love mushrooms and whiskey...

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jun 8 2018 1:33 AM

I've yet to go to the Dekalb market, though I know I should. I find that now that I'm living outside a big city I really have no tolerance for the traffic, and Atlanta is bad. I do have a decent Asian market down in Opelika near Columbus I go to. I did find it on Amazon and ordered some as I was ordering some other things, so will be here soon! Smile I think that's the big Asian market I went to in Atlanta, it's huge, bigger than a Walmart, huge fresh fish section.

The Expanse is a good series, Amazon Prime has the 1st season, I liked it enough I have bought the other two seasons. One thing that rings true is everyone hates everyone else. The Earthers hate the Martians and the Belters (asteroid belt inhabitants). Martians hate the Belters and Earthers. Belters hate the Martians and Earthers. The derogatory names are Martians - Dusters, Belters - Skinnies (as the low gravity makes them tall and thin with heads that look too big, Earthers are called Wellers (living at the bottom of the gravity well). There's a whole Belter Creole language, and they don't have normal Earth gestures because it's hard to see a normal shrug in a space suit, so to shrug they close their fists, hold palms up and wave both arms side to side, to nod they hold out one hand in a fist, palm down and move it up and down, side to side to shake their heads no, etc. Clever.

Jeff

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 465
Bronze Member

Are you looking for this Swiss product ?

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS