Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

My new Beosystem AV 9000

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig Posted: Fri, Oct 26 2012 1:03 PM

Hi everybody,

I've now transported my newly purchased Beosystem AV 9000. It's cosmetically not in superb condition but the price was decent. Even the Beolab 8000s  unexpectly came with it. However, I have two questions now: 1) Cables are missing. How do I connect the MPAV to the Beovision AV9000? What type of cable do I need? 2) The loudspeakers are in decent condition with a few scratches in the aluminum (I think, this is not easily scratched and I can live with the few scratches that are in there). However, the covers and the top caps are ok, bit I consider exchanging them. How much will that be round about, especially the top caps for the Beolab 6000s and 8000s? My dealer couldn't immediately name me a price.

Thanks very much,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 2:58 PM

Hello Kai,

You made a good choice buying the AV9000 plus Beolab 8000.

You need powerlink cables for connecting your 8000's to the AV9000 TV. I make these cables myself. The 8P DIN connector cost a view euro's, the shielded cable is hard to find unless you buy them at your dealer for to much money!

The top covers shows up occasionally on Ebay.de or Marktplaats, If you're lucky  think for around 30-40 euro's?

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Hi Leslie,

this purchase was really inexpensive. I got quite some stuff for little money. The downside however is that I now don't want to sell it but use it myself. And since I'm unfortunately a perfectionist, I will have to do a couple of things to bring the system back to life. However, that's what part of the fun is all about.

What I was asking is the cable that's needed to link the Beovision AV9000 to the MPAV9000. Is it the masterlink and if so, the old one? I've read somewhere that this cable is not available any longer...

I think, I can live with the cover for now. However, in the long run, I'll replace them. One has a tiny hole at the bottom and makes waves to the sides. This is probably not easy to fix.

Thanks again Leslie!

Regards,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 7:50 PM

You're right Kai, one of the shortcomings I have not reading posts the whole way.Embarrassed

Funny thing is that I'm gonna pickup a AV9000 myself on Sunday (sold mine a while agoSad). I have lots of masterpanels in my "closet", so before I'm gonna put them on the market I need a AV9000 to test them. I must have a  thick "full wired" ML cable somewhere. If I find one extra you can have it for free. Will post a picture of my new AV9000 setup.

Brengen & Ophalen

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:06 PM

Manbearpig:
...the cable that's needed to link the Beovision AV9000 to the MPAV9000. Is it the masterlink and if so, the old one? I've read somewhere that this cable is not available any longer...

You either need the very first 16 wire ML Cable (the recent type of ML cables has just 9)
or a small mod on the ML socket(s) of your Beocenter AV9000 and MPAV 9000 to make an
AV 9000 2-Way "9 wire compatible"

You'll  have to make a short circuit "jumper" between pin 4 (ML sense) and 12 on masterlink
socket in MP AV9000 stereo to use the standard masterlink cable.

Additionally a further connection is required in every ML-System between Pin 3 (white/blue)
and Pin 12 (pink) of a "normal"  ML-cable

Even if you don't need a Juncton-Box at the moment to distribute to other rooms,
you should use one to get  the pin 3 and 12 connection automatically done.  

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:39 PM

Great info Marcel, thanks a lot!Yes - thumbs up Did or do you know that a MCP AV9000 can be used as an ordinary  "Ouverture" connecting it ML straight to an Avant. This has been discussed on the old forum before. To do that you had to make a link on the MCP ML socket as well.

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Thanks to both of you.

The whole purchase was a littel bit, let's say spontaneous. The ad was designed in a way that I thought this could be a bargain. It only mentioned briefly that Beolab 6000s were included. It turned out to be the complete Beosystem AV9000 (the old two way one) with all original components and an additional Beo4. In the end, I only paid 250 Euros for it. I was quite happy and thought about reselling. The optical condition is not very good. However, the system has obviously not been in use a lot. The foams of the speakers are completely dusty but apart from that look great. So I've decided to give it a try and moved more and more parts from the seller to the only room I could imagine fitting it in. After some trials, I have to say that it fits in very nicely - actually so nicely that I'm not going to re-sell. However now I wanna check all functions and therefore I do need the cable. If everything works fine as I suspect (my gut feeling tells me so), I'll try to polish up cosmetics a bit.

One further question would be: Is there a way to separately get the bottom plate of the Beovision AV 9000? Just the plate, not the entire foot. Mine is pretty scratched and that may be disturbing. However, the rest of the TV is fine.

Cheers,

Kai

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

And Leslie - thanks very much for offering the masterlink cable. If you do have a spare one, I'm very happy to take it.

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:22 PM

Manbearpig:
One further question would be: Is there a way to separately get the bottom plate of the Beovision AV 9000? Just the plate, not the entire foot. Mine is pretty scratched and that may be disturbing.

It's possible and I've seen someone doing that. You have to lift up the triangle part shockwise and the base will stay on the floor (or on your feetSmile)

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:26 PM

Take the TV first of or else you have to lift up 100kgBig Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:33 PM

Leslie:
Great info Marcel, thanks a lot!Yes - thumbs up

BTW, Who is Marcel?

Leslie:
Did or do you know that a MCP AV9000 can be used as an ordinary 
"Ouverture" connecting it ML straight to an Avant.

Smile ... with some severe limitations (nearby operation, operation from ML rooms, no direct "start up" of audio sources...  
          At least some of these limitations can be partially solved, if you set the MCPAV to service mode ...

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:38 PM

Vienna:

BTW, Who is Marcel?

Sorry, mixed up with another guy!

Vienna:

Smile ... with some severe limitations (nearby operation, operation from ML rooms, no direct "start up" ...  
          At least some of these limitations can be partially solved, if you set the MCPAV to service mode ...

I know, thanks!

Brengen & Ophalen

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:52 PM

Manbearpig:
Is there a way to separately get the bottom plate of the Beovision AV 9000?
Just the plate, not the entire foot.

A friend of mine had the bottom plate sand-blasted and protected by clear laquer to "hide" scratches after relocating.

Looked like the bottom plate of a BeoLab 6000 - just a bit larger Big Smile

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 10:18 PM

A further issue arose: I'm sorry but I do not have the manual. How do I connect the speakers? I have the old two-way Beosystem AV9000. I was told at a local dealer that the TV has enough powerlink sockets. However, I can only see one. Still the speakers do have powerlink. So, how do I connect them to the TV? Sorry for the many maybe stupid questions.

Does the bottom plate get scratched that easily? Mine really doesn't look good. Everything is not perfect either but it's fairly decent, but the bottom plate is simply pretty scratched...

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 10:55 PM

Manbearpig:
I'm sorry but I do not have the manual.

... "silver" or "gold" members have access to manuals ect, you might consider to upgrade your membership  ...

Not everything is for free... 

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 10:58 PM

Just take a closer look at you Control Center and you will find them!

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Once again, thanks a lot, Leslie! I'm really curious to find out whether everything works as it is supposed to. A little bit like Christmas. I know it sounds weird, but I really like old highly engineered stuff and I particularly like to nourish it and keep it alive.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:36 AM

You're welcome my friend! Please post a picture once your setup has been made. Will do the same with the one I'm picking up tomorrow. Have to look for the ML cable and again, if I find another one it's yours. It's a stunning looking TV!!

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 7:03 PM

Just got back with my AV9000 TV set. Tomorrow I will connect the masterpanel. Maybe I will remove the VCR and put a DVD player insteadHmm

Pictures will follow!

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:36 PM

Hey Leslie,

are you satisfied? I still couldn't test mine properly since the Beolink 5000 and cables are still missing. Hope, I'll get the Beolink 5000 next week. How did the transport go? It really causes a lot of stress to me transporting stuff like that...

Unfortunately I had to work the entire week-end. Yesterday at night I tried to refit the old covers that had been demounted on the Beolab 6000s. However, I couldn't manage to do so. I just managed to get one side fixed but no matter how much I tried, I couldn't seem to get the other side fixed, too. I didn't wanna try too hard in order to avoid causing damage to these really nice speakers.

Best,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:41 PM

Check the clips at the innersides of the Beolab 6000 frets. Probably the clips are pushed in.

Have not connected the AV9000 yet. Will do that tomorrow. You have a Beolink 5000? Why not using a Beolink 7000 if your AV9000 is two way. Looks great!

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:45 PM

Thanks Leslie. It doesn't look like that's the cause. Maybe I'm just too careful. Got a first test of my newly acquired AV9000 today - this time only with the Beo 4. I'll use my Beolink 7000 with it later on. However, the TV has a muted buzz when running. I'm not sure whether this is normal. I haven't any speakers connected yet and couldn't manage to get sound with the Beo4. Therefore the buzz was probably more perceivable. Maybe it goes away after some working hours? I think, the TV hasn't been in use for quite some time.

The mechanical curtain ist great - much better than the electronic curtain on the Avant in my opinion.

Are there any service counters on the AV9000 by the way?

Best,

Kai (who meanwhile also found the powerlink sockets Sleep)

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:41 PM

Vienna:

Manbearpig:
I'm sorry but I do not have the manual.

... "silver" or "gold" members have access to manuals ect, you might consider to upgrade your membership ...

Not everything is for free...

That's right but sometimes it can! I will check if I have doubles...

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member
Manbearpig replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 11:49 PM

Hey Leslie,

but the one in the pictures's not your new one, is it? I played around with mine a little today and found out that is only the one way version. What a shame! Can it be that the two way version doesn't have the Dolby Pro Logic? It reads like it in Beoworld... Since mine was the center of a surround environment, that could explain why it's only one way. In that case it wouldn't be meaningful to grab another two-way one.

Good thing is, sound's working now and I have to say that the sound is really great. I also have an Avant 32 RF and was expecting the Avant to have a much better sound than the AV9000 on its own but that's definitely not the case - at least to my ears. Picture's also great and the TV probably hasn't been used a lot. The mechanical curtain is perfect. Only thing I found out that doesn't work is the motorized stand. I can hear the motor running but the TV doesn't move. Any idea what that is?

Please tell me what you think about your latest purchase, Leslie.

Thanks for all of your input!

Best,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 12:25 AM

Manbearpig:
but the one in the pictures's not your new one, is it?

No, it isn't, just wanted show you the manuals I have for the AV9000 system. The AV9000 I have now still has to be installed, other things have priorities now like Beovox S75 I got and has to be cleaned to make them as new again. Hopefully in the next few days I will finish my AV9000 setup including all accesories....Pictures will follow!

Manbearpig:
Good thing is, sound's working now and I have to say that the sound is really great. I also have an Avant 32 RF and was expecting the Avant to have a much better sound than the AV9000 on its own but that's definitely not the case - at least to my ears.

Great, good to "hear"!

Manbearpig:
Can it be that the two way version doesn't have the Dolby Pro Logic?

Surround has nothing to do with one or two way version. Beosystem AV9000 is made as a surround system, that's why you have 5 PL connectors at the rear of your Control Center.

Manbearpig:
Only thing I found out that doesn't work is the motorized stand. I can hear the motor running but the TV doesn't move. Any idea what that is?

I suppose all CC cables have been  connected to the TV?

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Thanks Leslie. No, I'm not sure that I have connected all cables to the TV. I mean, I have no manuals and am just trying to figure it all out. Could it be that the reason is a missing connection? Just asking since the motor of the stand is running when I turn the TV on or off or try using the stand with the remote. However, the TV doesn't move. Not a bit. What I may have done wrong is: I connected the stand with the TV running. I've read somewhere here that one shouldn't do that. I was just plain stupid playing around with the cables to see what actually works and therefore kept the TV running. This may have caused the poblem with the stand I'm afraid. What do you think?

I'm confused about the one or two way thing. I have still not connected the MPAV 9000 to the TV. The Beolink 7000 is not receiving anything from the Beosystem (hopefully, I used it correctly). However, I do have an MPAV9000 (not an Ouverture) and the serial number is 2... and 1.1. The same applies to the master control panel in the stand of the TV. Again it's type .... and 1.1. However, on the TV itself (just the top part) it says Type 4730 (or was it 4370?) and 1.2. I don't think that anything has been replaced. The system seems as original and complete to me as a system of that age can be. I purchased from the original owner and as I mentioned the system was apparently hardly used but also not really looked after carefully. Probably just stood there for years the way it was initially installed by the dealer. The seller was selling the system (18 years old) with Beolink 5000 (advertisement), which I haven't got yet. Therefore, I supposed it was the two-way version. However, I got the Beo 4 from her and can use it with the TV. So probably she just mixed the names of the remotes up and it is in fact the one way version. Would be a pity. Not sure about that, however.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you what you have to say about your newly acquired system. Love your enthusiasm for BaO.

Greetings,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:48 PM

Kai, I have a ML cable for ya. First try to connect your MCP with this cable. Cable has been tested since I made my setup this evening (prelimenary) and. Unfortanetely mine is not a 2-way version but I can have another AV9000 for free. Hopefully that one is a 2-way. PM me for shipping details, you have to pay for the shipping costs though, cable you can have, as an exception!

By the way, did you get some sound out of the TV?

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Sound is perfect now. That was a cabling issue. Now I have to get the stand fixed. I'll send you a PM. I'm still not sure whether mine is two-way or not though.

Your system looks really nice. It seems to be hard to find the two-way versions. However, since mine says SW 1.1 or SW 1.2 on each component it should be two-way I suppose. Maybe it's been re-setted to one-way? Is there such an option on the TV? Or it's my Beolink 7000 that's in one-way mode since I was using it with an Avant. I thought removing components from the list and then re-adding them would solve that problem but maybe not? I'll have to play around a bit and will let you know once I've found out...

Thanks so much once again, Leslie!

Best,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:03 PM

There's a chance that your Beolink has caps issues which causes the 2-way function not to work!

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:52 PM

I will post a better picture, during daylight...

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Dear Leslie,

I've sent you a PM. Hope it finds you.

Best,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:34 PM

It did Kai! No comments on my AV9000 carpet seen in front of the TV?Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Carpet's awesome. That was fishing for compliments. But still. Of course it immediately caught my eye and I was thinking: "where did he get that from" and "ok - that guy is probably even more crazy than I am". Very nice.

Regards,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:17 PM

Manbearpig:
That was fishing for compliments.

True

Manbearpig:
that guy is probably even more crazy than I am

True

Manbearpig:
"where did he get that from"

As lots of other things, I won't tell

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

What I found out meanwhile with the help of Ulf Kiener (thanks Ulf) is that my AV9000 has Software 1.2 and therefore is definitely the two-way version. Still don't know why the two-way doesn't work the way it should. I'll post as soon as I've found out.

Best,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:43 AM

Ever tried a digital camera? Just point on the IR eye AV9000 and see if it lights up when you use your remote.

Brengen & Ophalen

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:12 AM

Manbearpig:
Or it's my Beolink 7000 that's in one-way mode since I was using it with an Avant.
I thought removing components from the list and then re-adding them would solve that problem but maybe not?

Selecting "Panel" > "Setup" > "System" > "Compnts" > "Video" on your BeoLink 7000  
you will be in "Componets Setup" where the "Help" says:
" FACE V.MASTER, LIST SOURCES AND STORE "

Only if the BeoLink 7000 gets a reply from the master it switches to 2-way mode,
if there is no answer from the master, the BL 7000 will act as a 1-way remote.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:53 AM

Or some caps have to be replaced if your BL7000 has failures.

Brengen & Ophalen

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Ok, so two-way doesn't work, it's highly unlikely from my point of view that both of my Beolink 7000s are defective (considering that 1 of them was new) and my TV has Software 1.2, i.e. it's the two-way version. So: it seems to me that the TV is the cause and maybe defective in its two-way capability...

I've just tried the speakers and they sound beautifully. But that's pretty much what I've expected by looking at the foams. They've hardly been used (telling by the amount of dust on the foams).

Regards,

Kai

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 3:10 PM

Again, have you tried the camera trick?

Brengen & Ophalen

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS