Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Airplay 2 available today...

rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 1 Follower

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee Posted: Tue, May 29 2018 6:52 PM

but currently on Beosound Essence mkII and Beoplay A9, thé software version 1.17 is not Airplay 2 ready... I hope it will be there soon to ask Siri “play music I like in the kitchen and on the living room” to start playing music to my B&O devices!

Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:12 PM

Did you get info that Airplay 2 would be available today from B&O as a firmware update today?

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:22 PM

In September 2017 (or a bit later) after Apple announced that Airplay 2 would come, B&O announced that its Airplay devices will be compatible from day 1 with airplay 2.

it was the same with Libratone (I currently have a small Airplay device from them), and I can say that it’s also not compatible for the moment.

A9 and Essence got a 1.17 update earlier this month without release notes, I was confident that it was the famous “day one Airplay 2 update” but finally it was just wishful thinking!

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:29 PM

iOS 11.4 arrives today and brings support to Airplay 2 (and stereo pairing to Apple Homepod)

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:48 PM

@CB : exactly, I updated my iPhones and iPad to iOS 11.4 to see that B&O products (and Libratone too) doesn’t show as Airplay 2 speakers!

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Our friends in Struer probably need to wait untill our other friends in Cupertino give the Go command...

Karel.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 29 2018 8:02 PM
Don’t know if this is Airplay 1 or 2...

VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
VANTAGE replied on Tue, May 29 2018 8:11 PM

List of compatible speakers here: https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/

Eclipse is there :-)

Current: Beovision Eclipse 65" v1 - Beolab 50 - Beolab 28 - 2 x BS2 (GVA) - 1 x BS1 (GVA) - Beoremote Halo - H9i

Past:

Beovision MX4000 - Beovision 3-32 - Beovision 7-55

Beosound 9000 - Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5

Beolab 6000 - Beolab 8000 - Beolab 5 - Beolab 3 - Beolab 17

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, May 29 2018 9:02 PM

Have you updated to iOS 11.4 today?

If you have, it is, but unless you have any Airplay 2 capable speakers, the new  features (volume slider for individual speakers for ex) won't show in the control screen you have attached.

For the record, i updated everything (iOS and tvOS on ATV4), tried to ask Siri to play something on Living Room (speakers) ie. the Apple TV.....didnt work.

So despite the new tvOS asking me to sign the ATV4 to a room, i chose "Living Room", and using the (updated) iPhone to trigger something on the Airplay 2 compliant ATV....the phone say it cant find a speaker of that name.

I cannot say that i am surprised - having updated both, i'll try a power cycle and see if the same request works.

Voice control eh...isnt it marvellous.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2018 9:14 PM

@CB: an airplay 2 speaker should have a circle (to be able to select multiple speakers at the same time) so no, you’re just using Airplay.

@sandyb : I can ask Siri to play music in the living room from my iPad or iPhone, it then starts to stream music from my mobile device to the Apple TV. What I cannot do is to tell Siri to “play music from Apple TV in the living room” from a mobile device. I would be interested in that kind of command (I think it’s possible) to use the mobile devices as remotes only to save their batteries.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, May 29 2018 10:25 PM

OK, got it working.

My Apple TV 4 wasn't showing in the Home app (signing in/out of iCloud, and the ATV asked me to hold my iPhone near, and then the Apple Tv suddenly appeared). 

So i asked Siri (iPhone) to play a podcast in Living Room (that Apple TV) - and that worked, which is good.

To your question - i think when you ask Siri (iPhone) to play something where there is a parallel ATV app, it uses that. In the case just described, my iPhone Podcast app shows the show playing on the "Living Room" by the speaker select icon. (When it is streaming from iPhone to Apple TV, it will say that by the speaker icon)   And then, having triggered that using Siri (iPhone) i can play something completely different on my iPhone. 

It would be nice if Siri could trigger non-native Apps to play - but that won't happen. It can't do it locally on an iPhone / iPad, so i don't see why it would work now with Airplay 2 speakers. So all of this voice control is geared around Apple's native services, which will work for some, not others.

And of course, we need our Bed-stuff updated - I've set my expectation low timing wise! If we get updates from B&O  in the next 2-3 weeks, i'd be very surprised.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, May 30 2018 3:50 AM
Sandyb:

My Apple TV 4 wasn't showing in the Home app (signing in/out of iCloud, and the ATV asked me to hold my iPhone near, and then the Apple Tv suddenly appeared). 

So i asked Siri (iPhone) to play a podcast in Living Room (that Apple TV) - and that worked, which is good.

To your question - i think when you ask Siri (iPhone) to play something where there is a parallel ATV app, it uses that. In the case just described, my iPhone Podcast app shows the show playing on the "Living Room" by the speaker select icon. (When it is streaming from iPhone to Apple TV, it will say that by the speaker icon)   And then, having triggered that using Siri (iPhone) i can play something completely different on my iPhone.

SandyB I am glad you got yours working.

I had upgraded my ATV first, and that process put up a cute pictogram of a double story house (ours is a bungalow) and asked me to nominate a room location from was already set up by me in HomeKit plus an alternative list. I selected Family Room ...

To repeat your test, when I used the ATV’s remote to say “hey Siri play some music on(in?) the family room” three things happened:

1. The already playing stream to the ATV and my AP2 upgraded HomePod (yes, multi-streaming from an iPhone (7+) to two (Apple) devices does work (contrary to various MacRumors/Ars Technical threads) but the iPhone music IS disconnected :(

2. The iPhone’s Siri said it could not find a speaker in “family.” Rather than “Family Room”

3. However the ATV’s Siri did start a personal radio station on the ATV (overriding the paused AP2 stream) and dropped the HomePod in the Guest Room !

So exciting times ! Lots of fun ahead ! And lots of learnings and I suspect tweakings (eg drop “ room” from the names of rooms).

I have used both the ATV and the iPhone to stream AP2 to my Core and my Eclipse (both on the hardware/firmware program) however it understandably drops AP2 and switches to AP :( and plays to only on the Core or only on the Eclipse. However I am confident when B&O release their upgrades it will all magically work.

My next post will be of screenshots from today’s tests ... now I better start packing my bags for San Jose !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, May 30 2018 3:53 AM
Screenshots of my A2 tests to Apple & B&O kit ....

1st the details of the iOS upgrade:

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, May 30 2018 3:54 AM

Grrr I am forever hitting Post instead of Camera On Philippe’s BeoWorld iApp sorry ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, May 30 2018 4:04 AM
Screenshots of AirPlay2 tests ...

Multi-room from iPhone to ATV and to HomePod

Updated ATV interface ... look at top left corner !

Now trying Core / Essence Mark II

Changing volume on HomePod .... and separately the Essence II or Core too !

And now ATV Siri switching from personal radio station to “play some rock and roll ...”

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, May 30 2018 5:36 AM
@SandyB

I still can’t get my HomePod to throw what it is playing to my Apple TV nor the room the ATV is in.

The issue appears to be that my 4th Gen ATV keeps asking for a passcode to be entered on Guest (which is the HomePod’s name) and which to tell the HP’s Siri what the passcode of course the programming fails.

It could be that “Guest” is a magic word for some very bad programming.

More likely I failed by not doing the iPhone / ATV proximity setup you did.

I have do a shutdown recycle, a restart recycle, but not a factory reset for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions ?

And did you get any Passcode behaviours ?

And yes, I have taken the Security setting off , and tested that for iPhones it is off.

BeoNut since '75

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, May 30 2018 6:54 AM

The official B&O answer on my question on twitter says that it’s more “We’ll support Airplay2 en year one, not day one”!

https://twitter.com/beoplay/status/1001691413552222208

Hello! B&O will indeed support Airplay 2 this year, however, we regret that we currently do not have an ETA on when this feature will be rolled out yet! We suggest you sign up for our newsletter to find out about updates as it becomes available! bit.ly/beonews

JogvanGunnarsson
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

B&O employee Petros Belimpasakis posted the following on Instagram, showing his B&O speakers with AirPlay 2 software. He also answered my question regarding when that software will be released to the public: august/september 2018.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, May 30 2018 7:52 AM

I think on the Apple TV, under Settings / Airplay, there is a setting about guest behaviour.

There are various accessibility options, i.e. allow anyone, allow only people on this network etc, and there is a also security option you may have checked for "ask for passcode".

I suspect therein may lie your fix.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, May 30 2018 7:54 AM

Thats both funny and not very funny!

I did suggest yesterday not to expect anything soon, but August / September (and with some slippage likely) is quite hilarious.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, May 30 2018 8:15 AM

@Elephant

Sorry, i've replied to you, but didn't see that you mentioned you have taken security settings off.

If that addresses my suggestion i.e. on the Apple TV under Settings / Airplay, then sorry i dont have any suggestions.

I dont have a HomePod to try and replicate, just an Apple TV 4.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Wed, May 30 2018 8:31 AM

The march of the corporate giants continues.

Is that the death throes of the valiant independent audio companies I can hear, in the not too far away,distance?

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Wed, May 30 2018 8:32 AM
Hi all,

Saw this in my facebook feed:

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, May 30 2018 8:44 AM

I fear that you are right, however slow that process might be.

A handful of niche players will survive, but with media becoming virtual as opposed to physical, we are probably headed in that direction.

Was thinking about this yesterday - physical video (Blu-Ray etc) sales fell way quite a lot last year, according to an industry article i read. 

No surprise then that Oppo are moving on from Blu-Ray players.

With respect to audio and these smart speaker systems - maybe the more open streaming framework of chrome cast, vs the Apple Airplay method, will allow other manufacturer to continue making smart speakers.

With Airplay (2), unit voice integration extends to non-Apple services, it offers nothing material over using the B&O app, which does multi-room well enough.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sorry if I have to bring this AP2 discussion down to earth.....a bit.

This is a Bang & Olufsen forum, right.

I (and a lot others) have been able to play AirPlay to multiple rooms for a while now.

See pic below ——- I started airplaying Spotify to my Essence (2nd gen), used the Bang & Olufsen app to add my M3, my Avant/2014 and my V1.

I could as well (on the two tv’s) have used the Join command of the beo remote!

And - again on the two tv’s - I can change the volume per beo remote. I can even pause/play and skip tracks there.

IMHO AirPlay 2 is relevant, if you involve non-B&O AirPlay 2 speakers in the B&O setup.....

...which I know some do - but that wouuld be outside of a strick B&O forum discussion.

Apart from that - involving an ATV4/4K device connected to a BV will always involve a command (on the beo remote) to open the port,

where the device is connected. Adding the BV’s to an airplay session using the app turns on the BV’s instantly from standby.

We - as B&O owners - should not forget what we already have........just because of a new Apple feature!!!

AirPlay 2 certainly adds new possibilities to the mix - especially for those, who have older (non-NL) BV’s.....

...and also for those, who dig ‘voice controlling’.

But - as you may see - I already am able to use AirPlay in multiple rooms in my setup.....and won’t have to wait for some update in the fall.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, May 30 2018 11:13 AM

I don't disagree, i've never been pinning any great hope or excitement on AP2. I was bored yesterday, and given the update, thought i'd have quick play.

Like you i can generally do what i want pretty quickly and flexibly using the app + BeoRemote's - and has the flexibility of not being restricted to Apple Music / Podcasts.

And as i've stated before, i'm not a voice enthusiast.

I do think though that the multi-room Aiprlay-ing in iOS now is useful - the lock screen controls are a bit better than the B&O App lock screen, in that it gives you more visibility and control of different rooms, volume and content wise all on the lock screen.

But yes, i don't view AP2 as opening up a world of possibilities - until (if ever) the open up Siri integration to other services, its of limited use to me.

With respect to B&O updates, obviously the hardware needs a software update, but i think the App also. I think the iOS update yesterday has removed the App's lock screen control. I just started some music using the B&O app, but on the iPhone lock screen there is no sign of the B&O app control, its just all the (new) Apple airplay / control interface, showing different speakers, AP2 enabled zones. Not a big deal.

Anyway.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, May 30 2018 1:17 PM
Millemissen:
IMHO AirPlay 2 is relevant, if you involve non-B&O AirPlay 2 speakers in the B&O setup...

...which I know some do - but that would be outside of a strick B&O forum discussion.

As all the Chromecast discussions then...

I can’t agree with you on that.
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Well, since it is announced as one of the upcoming features of quite a few B&O products I don't see how it is not relevant? Let's not scrutinize what is of interest for forum members and what not. 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, May 30 2018 3:55 PM
For the record, I have no issue with Airplay discussions

My response previously was more that the added functionality doesn't do much for me.

Anyway, B&B hardware updates to AP2 are months away.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

AnalogPlanet:

I don't see how it is not relevant?  

I did not say, that it is not relevant - in fact I said, that it is more relevant to some than to others.

All I wanted to point out was, that we should not forget, what B&O already has made possible (AirPlay in NL-multiroom).

I am sure, that - once the update is out - it will be a good selling point for the dealers to bring more B&O/B&O Play devices amongst people, who don’t already have other B&O devices.

This goes for the Chromecast support as well.

My focus was, that - with NL - we already have a lot of options for multiroom playback.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, May 30 2018 7:48 PM

Thank you Millemissen for this comment. In fact we didn’t need NL: ML was already there and fully functional! I even don’t know why I’m using digital music as the vinyl was already there (and still stays one of the most trendy media!) :-D

What is really good is that really old stuff (in our digital age were Moment is already out, TVs outdated the day they come out) like my A9 and Essence are getting the latest protocol.

as for Airplay 2 being interesting or not, it really depends on the use case. On my side, it will be a very simple way to share the Apple TV sound in my whole house, as currently with my BV8-40 there is no solutions that permits to share its sound in multi room while keeping sound on the TV (I don’t have an essence integrated to the TV).

as already explained, it will allow me to play with Apple Music and Siri in multi room (playing is the good word, no real need), and some other more or lesss useful use cases. Airplay 2 is a bit like Apple reply to Chromecast, which is already integrated to B&O stuff.

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Thu, May 31 2018 12:15 PM

mbee:
On my side, it will be a very simple way to share the Apple TV sound in my whole house, as currently with my BV8-40 there is no solutions that permits to share its sound in multi room while keeping sound on the TV (I don’t have an essence integrated to the TV).

Don't get your hope's up that speakers and apple-tv's are in sync. The delay in processing is not accounted for in the stream protocol so audio is out of sync. No clue if this can be adjusted.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, May 31 2018 9:42 PM

Not so sure : currently if I airplay the sound of my Apple TV to my A9, the sound is in sync with the image.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Sandyb:

I think on the Apple TV, under Settings / Airplay, there is a setting about guest behaviour.

There are various accessibility options, i.e. allow anyone, allow only people on this network etc, and there is a also security option you may have checked for "ask for passcode".

I suspect therein may lie your fix.

Thanks. I had tried various combos but could not get it to work. Maybe when I return home in 10 days time the system will have magically fixed itself!

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Sandyb:

Thats both funny and not very funny!

I did suggest yesterday not to expect anything soon, but August / September (and with some slippage likely) is quite hilarious.

To be fair, Apple clearly was struggling with bringing this to market - some partners could have just given up and walked away.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Millemissen:

But - as you may see - I already am able to use AirPlay in multiple rooms in my setup.....and won’t have to wait for some update in the fall.

Fair points MM, however part of my excitement is seeing B&O’s logo front and centre in Apple announcements ... and if that leads to some new customers and some new BeoWorlders - fantastic!!!

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
L1NO:

Don't get your hope's up that speakers and apple-tv's are in sync. The delay in processing is not accounted for in the stream protocol so audio is out of sync. No clue if this can be adjusted.

Like mbee, that was not obvious in my tests.

IE I did not perceive any sync issues - I will listen more carefully next time.

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Seeing that I don’t use AirPlay 1 I don’t think I’ll use AirPlay 2 as I just use NL.

But I can see for some people this will be great.
mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Jun 1 2018 7:51 PM

Finally...

libratone will be first in 15 day time

B&O is one of the rare manufacturers to have given a time scale

B&W has said that they won’t update any of their products to AP2 due to insufficient hardware! That’s something to consider when people say “B&O is overpriced” as B&W (Zeppelin for instance isn’t any cheaper!

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sat, Jun 2 2018 8:46 AM

B&W works.

Yes B&O is overpriced

Page 1 of 2 (62 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS