Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Sailing

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member
Chris Harrison Posted: Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:00 PM

I went sailing a few weeks ago to the south coast UK. What a super trip.

any beoworld sailors?

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:09 PM

You betcha Chris!!!

My Dad was Norwegian and build sailing boats as a hobby when I was a shorty! From the age of two years old, I went sailing every weekend! I had a little yellow wetsuit at that age :)

Salcombe, South Devon and Lake Windermere have great memories for me and I still visit them often!

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:23 PM

Sort of...

blah-blah and photographs as needed

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

had a part share of a trimaran up to a few years ago, did plenty of sailing in the gulf of Thailand, very nice but damned hot

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Living near Hamburg some 20 years ago, me and 2-3 friends went sailing 2 weeks, rented boat, each summer for 5 years, Island hopping south Denmark, and at times up in the Baltic, South Sweden, Gotland. Wonderful times and memories, Now I can row in the lake of Chapultepec, or rent a party boat in the channels of Xochomilco.Big Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

XavierItzmann
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Gold Member

We sail.  Competitively on a friend's boat here in Miami and we have our own which we do not race.

We are currently doing the research on whether to put a B&O system on ours.  Common sense dictates it is a folly but the wife wants some BeoLabs and who am I to disagree?  Big Smile

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Gold Member
SWISS_2 replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:22 AM

Yes. Lifelong.

A Beosound 3 is taken on board, to add to a SSB, 2 hand-held, and an old Zenith Transoceanic R 7000.

Sadly our treasured B&O bottle opener jumped ship, replaced by a tethered Rösle Captain's knife.

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Swiss, what do you sail and where? If you name lives up to your location I guess you struggle with open water! 

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Gold Member
SWISS_2 replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 10:59 PM

Yes, I admit I struggle on blue water.

Our family started with a Klepper kayak and a  Lido class sailboat when I was young.

When I married I went through a 26, and then a 35 foot center-cockpit sailer. When I worked in London as an Engineer, weekends were spent sailing down the Thames and around to Dover. Usually wet and cold, but always fun and in good company.

Today we own a MacGregor 65 made in California, which we sailed to France, and then 6 years ago down to Brasil where we intend to retire.

Unlike Bang & Olufsen, owning a sailboat is akin to a hole in the ocean you throw your money into each month. One modern genoa or a spinnaker sail equals a B&O television or stereo system.

If you are considering B&O onboard, my advice is to keep it simple. We've had a Beosound 1 but the saline air, or marezia will corrode the CD player rather quickly.  Today we bring a Beosound 3 with a bag of SD cards of music in the duffel with us. More than enough sound to go around for everyone.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:03 AM

Would love to have a go myself, especially a tall ship :-)

We will be having a holiday on a barge hopefully within the next couple of years, which I am told is a nice experience. In the meantime I spend most of my spare time underground :-)

Olly

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Gold Member
SWISS_2 replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 12:37 PM

There is a tall ship in Ghana waiting for a crew . . . .

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Mon, Nov 12 2012 11:33 PM

SWISS_2:

There is a tall ship in Ghana waiting for a crew . . . .

Not sure I can do a lot about that right now lol!

Olly

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Gold Member
SWISS_2 replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 11:43 PM

Nor can Argentina . . . .

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Great responses! I really like the Hallberg Rassy boats, that is the plan one day!

Once the spring comes round I'll be looking at some more sailing trips!

XavierItzmann
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Gold Member

SWISS_2:
If you are considering B&O onboard, my advice is to keep it simple. We've had a Beosound 1 but the saline air, or marezia will corrode the CD player rather quickly.  Today we bring a Beosound 3 with a bag of SD cards of music in the duffel with us. More than enough sound to go around for everyone.

Agreed.  This is why we would limit it to BeoLab 4 and Playmaker.  BeoSound 5 is also under consideration.  I wonder how long will it live before its electronics die.

We raced against a MacGregor 65 recently.  It's an impressive vessel.

AndyM
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Founder
AndyM replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 4:09 PM

Chris

i have been dingly sailing and a little big boat stuff for 30 odd years, Enterprise nationals done about 15 times, finished 9th this year in Tenby, done the round the island race a few times...

still sailing now....just not as often and not in the winter anymore !

andy

SWISS_2
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Gold Member
SWISS_2 replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 6:58 PM

Good Show Andy !

I really like your avatar.

Winter sailing is best complimented by Musto, layering, a hot shower, and Glenlivet.

PJ810
Not Ranked
Sydney - Australia
Posts 10
Bronze Member
PJ810 replied on Wed, May 29 2013 8:33 AM

We're lucky that we get to sail and kayak year-round. A nice winter's day the temperature will reach 20 degrees Celcius although the water will be too cold to swim (for me anyway).

B&O stays away from the water though!

Patrick

Architect

A8, Beosound 3, Playmaker, Beolab 8000 Mk2

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS