Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 8000 to connect over AirPlay

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

TPal
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
TPal Posted: Sun, Jun 24 2018 5:36 PM
Hi everyone, I am kinda new to this “sport”. And within the group. Nice to meet you all. 
I got some Bang & Olufsen Beolab 8000 MKII and I would like to connect them with my iPhone or iPad via AirPlay.
At the moment I am able to listen to music by directly connect each speaker to an RCA to 3,5 jack adapter directly to my iPad. I know i need an extra device to buy in order to connect the speakers and this device to the modem. But, I don’t know that kind of device I need. Do I need a preamplifier or a simple DAC only? For sure I wanna have AirPlay or over WiFi connectivity. 
Do you have some audio receiver to recommend with AirPlay but also which gives the ability to connect more devices such turntable on it? All your recommendations are welcome! Thanks. 
graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
graemeben replied on Sun, Jun 24 2018 7:02 PM

Hi. I have an airport express box ( looks the same as Apple TV box)and, using its headphone socket, is then connected to the aux in on my BC9300 with BL8000's. AirPlay works very nicely  for Spotify etc on my iPad. I see no reason why, seeing as you already are using the headphone socket on your device, you couldn't connect your BL8000's straight to an airport express headphone socket and use your device for control of music and volume. On Spotify there's even a graphic equaliser for tone control.

Hope this helps.

Graeme.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi TPal,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Yes, graemeben is correct, an Airport Express is the simplest solution to give you Airplay wireless music from your phone to the two speakers.  Adding extra devices (eg. a turntable) requires either a pre-amplifier or a wireless devices such as Sonos Connect, as the Sonos has an extra input for an external device.

Sonos Connect also has the advantage of letting you link more players and speakers in different rooms to have music all around the house.  This can also be achieved by using a B&O music system (eg. Beosound 9000 or Ourverture) and linking an Airport Express or Sonos Connect into this.

Please ask if you have any questions!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

QQ
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
QQ replied on Wed, Jun 27 2018 7:59 PM

Hi Steve
Can you go into a little more detail regarding connecting a Beosound 9000 via sonos connect please !
I am a dinosaur who has just dragged his 9000 out of storage. 
My partner has a sonos. 
How do i make this all work ??  :)

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi QQ,

Welcome to Beoworld!  If you have a Beosound 9000 and the Sonos Connect, the best option is to connect the speakers to the 9000 with Powerlink cables: https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable

You can then link the Sonos Connect to the Aux socket of the 9000 with this cable to share the speakers: https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/stereo-rca-twin-phono-to-beosound-aux-input-din-socket

Please set the Sonos volume to maximum when connecting to the B&O system – this is normal when using a streaming music player with a home audio system due to the low output levels produced by the Sonos.

To listen to the Sonos, simply press "A.Aux" on the B&O keypad, or select this on the B&O remote control by pressing the "LIST" button until the display shows "A.AUX", then pressing "GO".

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

QQ
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
QQ replied on Thu, Jun 28 2018 3:10 PM

Thanks Steve ! nice little forum !!! :) 

Sonos Connect. Quite different to just having a stand alone Sonos speaker.
I didnt realise these existed. I learn something new each day. :) 

I assume the Sonos app will just read the B&O as another speaker on the network ?
and give you room to room functionality as per any Sonos speaker ?

Duly noted on the cable, I will order one from you.
Now i need to find a Sonos Connect ....

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks QQ!

Yes, the Sonos Connect will appear as another Sonos speaker on the network, you can rename this to whatever you wish in the Sonos app.  You can then share your music around the house as usual over the Sonos network.  You just need to power on the Beosound to the Aux input and the Sonos app can then control the music.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

JochenJ
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
JochenJ replied on Sun, Apr 7 2019 3:24 PM

Hi si

I am new to the world of B&O and I just purchased 2 Beolab 8000 speakers.

If I want to connect them to the apple airport express as you suggested which cables do Ii need?

I guess 2x 8pin powercable to mini jack > insert them in 1 mini jack y splitter > insert this mini jack into the apple airport express.

Is this correct? Do you still  suggest this way or not? I have read that apple might no longer support the aiport express....

thanks!

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi JochenJ,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Please note that the cables you suggested won't work, as Beolab 8000 speakers must connect via their RCA Line socket when used with a non-B&O music player like the Airport Express, they won't function via their 8 pin Powerlink sockets.

Please use  this cable to connect two speakers to the Airport Express: https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/77-241-minijack-to-beolab-line-in-using-phono-rca-sockets-one-cable-for-two-speakers.html#/2-length-1m

Please set both speakers to "Line" mode using the small switch next to the input sockets.  You need one cable for each pair of speakers.

Airport Express is no longer available to buy new, but this still works perfectly with Beolab speakers and they are easy to find for sale online.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

JochenJ
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
JochenJ replied on Sun, Apr 7 2019 7:01 PM

Thanks a lot for this very fast and complete comment ;)

I will buy the cable and see if it works!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS