Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay M3, Balancing problems and Usability B&O App

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

fulo
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
fulo Posted: Tue, Jul 17 2018 7:37 AM

Hi

today I bought two Beoplay M3 for my bureau. They should serve for two things:

1. As a PC (Laptop) speaker: I wanted to place them left and right of my screen. I know, that they don’t offer stereo sound, but having sound coming from both sides was important to me. (Even though in this case it would mean twice the same, without any differences in the channels.

2. Use them as a pair of wireless speaker (again, no stereo, but kind of multiroom in one room), to stream Music/Sound from my iPhone/iPad, without the need to have the Laptop running, as it was before with my old speakers.

I was told by the vendor, that both would be possible.

After I have installed the speakers, there occur two problems:

1. On my Mac in iTunes, I can choose both speakers as destination. They both play music. But the balance of the sound changes all the time. Within one minute, the left speaker gets louder than the right one. Within the next minute it shifts to the other side and again and again and again. I tried to output the audio via the tool «Airfoil», but the same happens here, too. Definitely no state that makes listening to music comfortable at all.

2. On my iPhone/iPad I realized, that I have to stay within the B&O App to get my sound to both speakers. When I bought the speaker, I thought that I would just have to arrange the multiroom-setting once and afterwards, I could stream the sound from any source of my iPhone (Music-App, Spotify, Youtube, …), like it uses to be with any other airplay content that I streamed before, for example to my apple TV. 

That means, now I can’t listen to any music than the one, that’s stored locally on my iPhone. The vendor told me, Spotify would work, too, but the service Spotify Connect seems to offer nothing but the possibility, that I can stream sound directly from the Spotify App to the speaker (the same as Airplay does anyway). But then I loose the multiroom/sound out of two speakers again… 

Plus there is the lack of usability provided by the B&O app. Maybe I’m doing something wrong: Is there any chance to change the volume of a song that’s playing within the B&O App with the buttons on the side of my iPhone? Nothing happens here. For changing the volume, I do really have to unlock my iPhone/iPad, open the B&O App and finally do the changes? 

Furthermore the control center in iOS doesn’t show the track that’s playing in the B&O app, but the last media that was played from any other app like «Music, Spotify, Youtube, …). As if B&O locked it’s app completely from any iOS standards. So I can’t quickly skip a track - again I must enter the B&O app?

Am I doing anything wrong? Are there certain settings? Or are all the problems described just the result of (still) missing Airplay 2 and a poor app design by B&O? It doesn’t really feel that good to pay 600€ for speakers, that don’t work at all as one expected, although they sound really great.

Thanks a lot

Philip

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
fulo:

Hi

today I bought two Beoplay M3 for my bureau. They should serve for two things:

1. As a PC (Laptop) speaker: I wanted to place them left and right of my screen. I know, that they don’t offer stereo sound, but having sound coming from both sides was important to me. (Even though in this case it would mean twice the same, without any differences in the channels.

2. Use them as a pair of wireless speaker (again, no stereo, but kind of multiroom in one room), to stream Music/Sound from my iPhone/iPad, without the need to have the Laptop running, as it was before with my old speakers.

I was told by the vendor, that both would be possible.

After I have installed the speakers, there occur two problems:

1. On my Mac in iTunes, I can choose both speakers as destination. They both play music. But the balance of the sound changes all the time. Within one minute, the left speaker gets louder than the right one. Within the next minute it shifts to the other side and again and again and again. I tried to output the audio via the tool «Airfoil», but the same happens here, too. Definitely no state that makes listening to music comfortable at all.

2. On my iPhone/iPad I realized, that I have to stay within the B&O App to get my sound to both speakers. When I bought the speaker, I thought that I would just have to arrange the multiroom-setting once and afterwards, I could stream the sound from any source of my iPhone (Music-App, Spotify, Youtube, …), like it uses to be with any other airplay content that I streamed before, for example to my apple TV.

That means, now I can’t listen to any music than the one, that’s stored locally on my iPhone. The vendor told me, Spotify would work, too, but the service Spotify Connect seems to offer nothing but the possibility, that I can stream sound directly from the Spotify App to the speaker (the same as Airplay does anyway). But then I loose the multiroom/sound out of two speakers again…

Plus there is the lack of usability provided by the B&O app. Maybe I’m doing something wrong: Is there any chance to change the volume of a song that’s playing within the B&O App with the buttons on the side of my iPhone? Nothing happens here. For changing the volume, I do really have to unlock my iPhone/iPad, open the B&O App and finally do the changes?

Furthermore the control center in iOS doesn’t show the track that’s playing in the B&O app, but the last media that was played from any other app like «Music, Spotify, Youtube, …). As if B&O locked it’s app completely from any iOS standards. So I can’t quickly skip a track - again I must enter the B&O app?

Am I doing anything wrong? Are there certain settings? Or are all the problems described just the result of (still) missing Airplay 2 and a poor app design by B&O? It doesn’t really feel that good to pay 600€ for speakers, that don’t work at all as one expected, although they sound really great.

Thanks a lot

Philip

What about trying the 3.5mm cable with the left in the left speaker and the right in the right
WickedFishstick
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Hi Phillip,

sorry to hear you of your woes.

I’ll try to keep it simple. 

It’s a multiroom system, so your m3s act as separate systems. So you can play different songs on both speakers on different volumes. Not wat you are after in your setup. You can join them en set the volume for each speaker. After that you can use the main volume slider. Unfortunately you’ll have to do this each time you start listening. This may change when AirPlay 2 is available, i’m not sure. 

You cant controle volume with your iPhones volume knobs. You can use spotify connect from the spotify app. Not from the B&O app. Only Deezer is built in at this time. 

Im not sure way you can only play local files. You should be able to use all sorts of sources. Either throughout B&O app or through AirPlay / Google cast, depending on where you want to stream from.

Good luck!

ruben

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Sep 18 2018 9:48 AM

If you run a source from the B&O app, you can change the volume with the iPhone buttons. You need to go to the Settings of the app and then:

Music > Controls > toggle "Lock screen (beta)"

WickedFishstick
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Thanks!

I didn't know...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS