Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC1/MMC2 problem.

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

bvalat
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
bvalat Posted: Sat, Jan 26 2019 12:42 PM

Hi,

I have inherited form my dead father a complete beo 7000 system (phono/tape/cd/amp/speakers)

I'm restoring it: i changed beorecord belts and repaired the beogram arm mecanism.

Now i face the most problematic problem.

I have two mmc cartridge one mmc1 and one mmc2.

But both seems to have the same problem : the neddle is going on one side. It's even worse when they touch the record, the needle go far on left.

On the mmc1 the left side becomes destorded, on the mmc2 i need to balance sound on the right to compensate.

I looked for replamecement  and WOW what th h...  The price are insane. I don't have my father's income.

Is it a known problem? Is there any "easy fix" or a cheap repair/remplacement?

Thanks for your help.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Suspension sounds like it is bad. Will need a rebuild or replacement. These are high end, high performance cartridges, not really a cheap replacement.

If budget is primary importance, a new Soundsmith SMMC4 or buying a rebuilt MMC4 from a rebuilder are the cheapest options and can provide hundreds of hours of enjoyment.
bvalat
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
bvalat replied on Sun, Jan 27 2019 3:07 AM

Thanks for your answer.

So there is some suspension (rubber) that persished in the cartridges?

Any rebuilder to recommend in europe (i live en france)?

If not, is an SMMC4 not a big downgrade?

I'm not as audiophile as my father. I just repaired the whole system for sentimental value and keep it in working condition. So i don't want to spend too much on the cartridge but want to keep the sound descent.  I'm looking for the sweet spot between price and sound quality.

bvalat
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
bvalat replied on Sun, Jan 27 2019 3:07 AM

Double post...

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
bvalat:

Thanks for your answer.

So there is some suspension (rubber) that persished in the cartridges?

Any rebuilder to recommend in europe (i live en france)?

If not, is an SMMC4 not a big downgrade?

I'm not as audiophile as my father. I just repaired the whole system for sentimental value and keep it in working condition. So i don't want to spend too much on the cartridge but want to keep the sound descent. I'm looking for the sweet spot between price and sound quality.

For new from Soundsmith, the SMMC3 is a sweet spot for sound quality for the price in my opinion. The SMMC4 is decent and if you only play the occasional album for novelty enjoyment will probably suffice.

My opinion is that a rebuild as a MMC2 with Contact line stylus is the best sound for dollar but I also use my turntable for many hours every week and have tried many many combinations in the past few years.

Rebuilders-

http://www.audio-origin.co.uk/retipping-stylus.html

https://www.tonabnehmerservice.de/en/B-O-Restoration/

https://www.classic-audio.dk/pickup/order.html

And on eBay:

seller:pickupservicenetpricesdk

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
Posts 245
Bronze Member

Saint Beogrowler:

Rebuilders-

And on eBay:

seller:pickupservicenetpricesdk

Hi, 

Do you know Hans-Henrik from pickupservicenetpricesdk ?? You recommended him ??

BeO is like a good wine - the older the better...

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
I have had him do a few carts for me. Good work and good communication.
Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
Posts 245
Bronze Member

It's a good news. I just bought from him fully refurbished MMC1. Communication perfect. Now I wait for my cartridge to my new Beogram 5500. 

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Nice.

Did you end up getting your cart back from Joseph yet? I’be been communicating with him and have a basic MMC4 cart rebuild started with him.

If he works out, I’ll be pretty excited. He is working to get his suspension rebuilds without need for cutting the cart open like the others do and he claims he can get the compliance the same as the original and not stiffer like the others do which require a higher VTF than original.
Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
Posts 245
Bronze Member

I am temporarily out of the home. On Monday I am sending him my MMC4 which he did. He has to send me the second one MMC4 after the upgrade to MMC3

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS