Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What is the best non B&O receiver to use with beolab 6000s & 8000s?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

ehmckenna
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
ehmckenna Posted: Sat, Mar 10 2012 1:07 AM

So,

I got a really good deal on a pair of beolab 6000s and beolab 8000s

I have some great speakers but no more money for a beosystem. Ive got a secondhand price of €5000! that I just dont have. 

Wondering what would be a good amp to run these speakers from. So far my research has led me to the Yamaha RX V771 http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v771_g/

This is about my orice range too. 

1) Can anyone advise if this is okay? could I do better?

2) what are the best cables I could get for this to work?

3) I heard the rear speakers can make clicking sound because of them turning on and off with a non B&O amp. Whats the best way round this? 

Really appreciate any advice hear guys, I'm new to this.

Thanks a million 

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:21 AM

That receiver looks just fine. There are others, but I don't see room for much improvement. If video/source switching is a must I wouldn't advise a change. If you are going for audio only, I would look into less expensive models from Yamaha, Rotel, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, Denon, Integra and other dedicated pre-amplifier. 

For cables, I would use phono/rca cables and just set all of the BeoLabs to line in. As for the clicking, you may have to adapt the Yamaha's 12VDC trigger to work with some custom cables. Soundsheavenly, our site sponsor below, can help with this.

Beo4 'til I die!

ehmckenna
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
ehmckenna replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:16 AM

Thanks Evan, solid advice

Ok cool. I phoned the B&O store here and they where like... "no way! You can't use a non B&O processor with B&O, the sound is just not the same!!!"

Is this true in any way? Even using pre outs will it decode Dolby and split the channel with the same quality?

If I got the Yamaha should I start saving for a becosystem to really get the best out of them???

Thanks again Evan... 

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 12:03 PM

Dolby processors are pretty universal. This Yamaha sounds very capable. It has a Burr-Brown 24bit 192kHz DAC for all channels,you won't be missing anything in terms of SQ. 

And yes, even by using the pre-outs you will get surround decoding no problem.

I say get the Yammie!!!

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

ehmckenna:
3) I heard the rear speakers can make clicking sound because of them turning on and off with a non B&O amp. Whats the best way round this? 

Buy cables from Steve at Sounds Heavenly or build yourself

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

ehmckenna
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
ehmckenna replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 9:29 AM

Thanks Soren,

Is the clicking something that's guaranteed to happen if I don't use a custom cable? And do I need a custom cable for fronts also? I assume they will stay on, right? 

I mean if I just use RCA is it def going to click? I only know of this because I read it in some posts

Thanks again

ehmckenna
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
ehmckenna replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 9:30 AM

Thanks Evan, very helpful

The yammie it is!!!!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The clicking is the speaker turning on and of, it occurs when you are listening to music with passages of silence to a speaker, or watching a movie with the same.

With the line (RCA) connection it will happen, as the speaker turns on if signal (sound) is present and of with a little delay if no signal is detected, I have BL 8000s as front and a BL 4000 as center, the 4000 turns of faster than the 8000 so there are different delay times.

I have no problems with the on/of as I seldom watch movies and only once in a while listen to classical music.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS