Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound 9000 MKIII CD Scraping Noises On Vertical Floor Stand

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
MisterDarlin Posted: Sun, Mar 24 2019 10:52 PM

Just setup my MKIII on a vertical floor stand and am experiencing scraping noises on CD slots 1, 3, and 4. CD slots 2, 5 and 6 play just fine. No skipping and no physical damage to CD's occur. If I lean the unit back about 15° all CD slots plays fine. When I had tested the the unit it was horizontal and flat on a table and all of the CD slots played fine. Noticed this afternoon when I setup the unit on the floor stand that the centering CD mechanism was already configured for vertical instead of horizontal which it should have been. Do you think this is causing the scraping noises? Is there a way to further tune the CD centering mechanism or do I need to buy a replacement rocker arm? Any insight is appreciated.

UPDATE

It's been about 12 hours since I mounted the MKIII on the floor stand and the scraping noises for CD's 1 and 3 have gone away. Maybe gravity has settled in? CD 4 still exhibits this behavior occasionally. If I open the glass door, it will usually start scraping but not as obnoxious as before. I shined my flashlight on the CD clamp during operation and it appears the bottom of 9121 2854207 clamper arm is making contact with the CD 4. The bottom clamper arm is much closer to the disc than the top. Maybe it needs realignment? I also tried this particular CD on the other CD slots and it will occasionally produce a scraping noise as well so I believe the disc maybe slightly warped. Probably a manufacturing defect since I just bought it brand new.

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 128
Founder
petermc replied on Mon, Mar 25 2019 8:06 AM
Have you changed the orientation settings on the back of the 9000?

Refer to pages 7-9 on the guide below.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/files/user-guides/BeoSound9000/beosound9000_referencebook_english.pdf
Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
Posts 111
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Mon, Mar 25 2019 9:26 AM

...plus run TM71 and TM73 on vertical stand before playing CDs

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

petermc:
Have you changed the orientation settings on the back of the 9000?

Refer to pages 7-9 on the guide below.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/files/user-guides/BeoSound9000/beosound9000_referencebook_english.pdf

It was already set to vertical orientation before I mounted it on the floor stand. When the scraping sounds occurred I went back and fiddled with it some more but same result...

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Peter:

...plus run TM71 and TM73 on vertical stand before playing CDs

I will try this but my Beo4 currently cannot connect to my MKIII. Thanks for the tip.

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
Posts 111
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Tue, Apr 2 2019 5:22 PM

To make your MK III respond to Beo4 you have to connect it in A:OPT 1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Apr 2 2019 5:56 PM

I can save you a lot of time here. If you adjusted the vertical/horizontal settings and it's still scraping - there's a further adjustment to the clamper mechanism which you can fiddle with.

However... I can't remember what it is. Geeked

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

The carriage has to sit parallel to the bed of the 9000. Over time, a certain amount of droop can occur. The procedure for adjusting this can be found in the service manual.

Regards Graham

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

The carriage has to sit parallel to the bed of the 9000. Over time, a certain amount of droop can occur. The procedure for adjusting this can be found in the service manual.

Does this require disassembly of the unit?

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Peter:

To make your MK III respond to Beo4 you have to connect it in A:OPT 1

I didn't have any PowerLink speakers hooked up which is why it wasn't responding. I purchased a Speaker Sense Adapter from Steve so I'm good now. Thanks for the suggestion.

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

I can save you a lot of time here. If you adjusted the vertical/horizontal settings and it's still scraping - there's a further adjustment to the clamper mechanism which you can fiddle with.

Is this setting in Testing Mode? I tried TM71 and TM73 it didn't really help. I can see that part 9121 2854207 Clamper arm is misaligned. Anyway to adjust it without opening up the unit?

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:51 PM

MisterDarlin:

9 LEE:

Is this setting in Testing Mode? I tried TM71 and TM73 it didn't really help. I can see that part 9121 2854207 Clamper arm is misaligned. Anyway to adjust it without opening up the unit?

No, it's a manual setting done with a screwdriver I seem to remember!  I think you need to remove the glass (two allen bolts) to get to it.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

MisterDarlin:

9 LEE:

No, it's a manual setting done with a screwdriver I seem to remember!  I think you need to remove the glass (two allen bolts) to get to it.

You need to disengage the carriage to be able to remove the top cover if I remember correctly. It is some years since I did it.

You would be best advised to up your membership to at least silver and get the service manual where the sequence will be explained in an easy to follow series of numbered steps.

Regards Graham

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Got it, thanks.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Apr 14 2019 9:10 PM

joeyboygolf:

You would be best advised to up your membership to at least silver and get the service manual where the sequence will be explained in an easy to follow series of numbered steps.

... or Gold in order to be in with a very good chance of winning some B&O !!  Big Smile

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

The Mark III version no longer has the screw type adjusters to level the clamper arm like the Mark I had. If you're sure that the part you identified in your first post is what is not level, (it appears the bottom of 9121 2854207 clamper arm is making contact with the CD 4) then it's possible that the screw holding the clamper arm on the ride side may be loose.  The Mark IIIs have a small plate and a screw on each side to mount the clamper 9116, the plates are 9115, screws are #32.

If you release the sledge and then remove the glass, you can remove the top plate (9114 -see manual) which will then allow you to see if both screws (32) are tight on plates 9115.

If they are ok, it's also possible that the plastic clamper arm is not fully seated in its attachment point. That piece is tricky because the left side of it slides onto a pin while the right side (which has a cutout on the top of the shaft) then snaps upward onto another pin.

At this point (with the top plate removed) you can see if the clamper arm (9121) is fully seated on the right side, and that it is screwed onto 9116 (with screw #37).

It's a good idea to clean the inside of the rails where the sledge travels, dust builds up in there and causes problems too.  

The entire process I've described should take 10 minutes.

1. enter testmode

2. release sledge

3. remove mains

4. remove glass

5. move sledge to middle, remove cover plate (see manual)

6. check 2 screws to make sure they are tight

7. if they are both tight, check clamper arm (9121) to make sure it's mounted properly and the screw is in place (#37)

8. replace the cover plate

9. clean the insides of the rail slots for the sledge, I use a soft cloth and windex

10. mount some CDs and manually slide the sledge across all CDs in all slots, both directions.

11. replace glass.

12.connect mains.

13. in testmode, run TM71 and TM73 (see manual).

If you still have scraping then it's very likely you need to replace the rocker arm (9134 2854196 Rocker arm) which is very simple and costs about $14 US, still an available part.

Good luck!

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Bill Briscoe:

Hi,

The Mark III version no longer has the screw type adjusters to level the clamper arm like the Mark I had. If you're sure that the part you identified in your first post is what is not level, (it appears the bottom of 9121 2854207 clamper arm is making contact with the CD 4) then it's possible that the screw holding the clamper arm on the ride side may be loose.  The Mark IIIs have a small plate and a screw on each side to mount the clamper 9116, the plates are 9115, screws are #32.

If you release the sledge and then remove the glass, you can remove the top plate (9114 -see manual) which will then allow you to see if both screws (32) are tight on plates 9115.

If they are ok, it's also possible that the plastic clamper arm is not fully seated in its attachment point. That piece is tricky because the left side of it slides onto a pin while the right side (which has a cutout on the top of the shaft) then snaps upward onto another pin.

At this point (with the top plate removed) you can see if the clamper arm (9121) is fully seated on the right side, and that it is screwed onto 9116 (with screw #37).

It's a good idea to clean the inside of the rails where the sledge travels, dust builds up in there and causes problems too.  

The entire process I've described should take 10 minutes.

1. enter testmode

2. release sledge

3. remove mains

4. remove glass

5. move sledge to middle, remove cover plate (see manual)

6. check 2 screws to make sure they are tight

7. if they are both tight, check clamper arm (9121) to make sure it's mounted properly and the screw is in place (#37)

8. replace the cover plate

9. clean the insides of the rail slots for the sledge, I use a soft cloth and windex

10. mount some CDs and manually slide the sledge across all CDs in all slots, both directions.

11. replace glass.

12.connect mains.

13. in testmode, run TM71 and TM73 (see manual).

If you still have scraping then it's very likely you need to replace the rocker arm (9134 2854196 Rocker arm) which is very simple and costs about $14 US, still an available part.

Good luck!

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I finally had some time last night to open up my unit. My Mark III actually has the screw adjusters as outlined in the Mark III service manual... Do I have an older version? Luckily I didn't have any need to move the sledge or get to the rocker arm. However, I did remove the clamper arm to make sure it wasn't bent. In the end, it took a several attempts adjusting the screws (and removing and replacing the glass) to get the clamper arm parallel to the top plate. The CD mechanism runs so smoothly now and I am so pleased! Before, in addition to the scraping, it would make a clunking sound every time the carriage passed over CD 4 and CD 1. So annoying!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who has weighed in. Would have been a pain in the ass (and expensive) taking this thing to the shop!

P.S. Where can I purchase Beosound 9000 parts? I actually need part 9203 (alternate cable cover).

Cheers!

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

I'm glad that worked out! I'm also very embarrassed that I misstated the lack of adjuster screws on the MKIII. The last time I had my MKIII apart I thought there were none, even though I've adjusted my MKI twice now. Silly me. I had to pull my MKIII apart just now to verify that it does in fact have them as I had convinced myself they were not there.  Oops. Sorry about that!

Bill

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Bill Briscoe:

Hi,

I'm glad that worked out! I'm also very embarrassed that I misstated the lack of adjuster screws on the MKIII. The last time I had my MKIII apart I thought there were none, even though I've adjusted my MKI twice now. Silly me. I had to pull my MKIII apart just now to verify that it does in fact have them as I had convinced myself they were not there.  Oops. Sorry about that!

Bill

No worries. I wasn't even sure they were screws at first. Had to double confirm with the service manual.

By the way, do you know a good source for replacement parts?

Thanks!

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Bill Briscoe:

Hi,

Bill

I'm glad you got that sorted out. I was beginning to think that I had imagined making that adjustment all those years ago!!

Most of the 9000's that I sold required that particular adjustment.

Regards Graham

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

I just pulled out my MKI that's setup for the floor stand (both the BS9000 and the stand are boxed now) and sadly it doesn't have the alt cover you're looking for. If it did I'd gladly send it to you. My MKIII is set up for the horizontal table stand and it also does not have that cover. I've checked my other MKI as well, and no luck there either.

As far as spare parts go, I used to buy from my local B&O store. Now that they are gone I've had luck with an eBay seller from Turkey ( the bay userid is lapaulo7).  Where are you located?

lapaulo7

lapaulo7

MisterDarlin
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Bill Briscoe:

Hi,

I just pulled out my MKI that's setup for the floor stand (both the BS9000 and the stand are boxed now) and sadly it doesn't have the alt cover you're looking for. If it did I'd gladly send it to you. My MKIII is set up for the horizontal table stand and it also does not have that cover. I've checked my other MKI as well, and no luck there either.

As far as spare parts go, I used to buy from my local B&O store. Now that they are gone I've had luck with an eBay seller from Turkey ( the bay userid is lapaulo7).  Where are you located?

lapaulo7

lapaulo7

Hi Bill,

Thanks for checking and for the generous offer! You have quite a few 9000's! Apparently, this alternate rear cover is rare and only came with the floor stand. All of the 9000's with floor stand listings I've come across are missing the rear cover. I have the standard detachable rear cover but I'd like to keep it intact. The alternate rear cover is the final piece to my setup along with the original MKIII manual and the center glass styrofoam (I am a completist). The search continues!

I am located in New York. I'll keep an eye out on lapaulo7. Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully something pops up.

By the way, what speakers do you have hooked up to your MKIII?

Thanks again!

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

I'm using BL8000s in my setup. I didn't fully understand your sentence about completing your setup. Do you still need the center glass styrofoam and the manual? If so, DM me and I may be able to help out.

Samsembi
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Samsembi replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 12:37 AM

Dear sir where did you bought the rocker arm 9121 2854207 please kindly let me know my email address sam97can@yahoo.com 

Thanks 

Sam

Samsembi
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Samsembi replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 12:37 AM

Dear sir where did you bought the rocker arm 9121 2854207 please kindly let me know my email address sam97can@yahoo.com 

Thanks 

Sam

Samsembi
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Samsembi replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 1:41 AM

Dear all please kindly help me on this issue have the same problem my beosound mk2 9000 when you select the different cd the sledge when it's move make clicking sound ie scrapping on the cd as it moves there are 2 screws next to the display for the adjustment I tried them still the same problem if you screw in ie clock wise the the sledge makes more scrapping noise when passing over cds and if unscrew fully it's better with less scrapping noise but the screw are fully undone,  in the service manual it's say adjustment of clamper arm adjust the clamper unit it's parallel with the Top Plate ? What that means it's not very unclear which top Plate ?
Can some one kindly help me this please thank you
Sam

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS