Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BBC & TuneIn dispute

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

hostler
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
hostler Posted: Thu, Oct 3 2019 12:28 PM

Anyone else noticed that the Nationwide BBC Radio Stations - 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 - have all been withdrawn from TuneIn, and hence no longer available inside the B&O App to stream to endpoint devices?

For many years we've enjoyed BBC6Music as an alarm on our Beosound 1, but as of yesterday all we get is a generic message about the station being unavailable.

There seems to be a dispute between data exchange between BBC and TuneIn, with neither willing to budge ... leading to the withdrawal of service. This also affects Alexa and Sonos owners it would seem.

The BBC tout the Sounds App as the solution, but this doesn't work for embedded use. Interestingly, they don't list B&O devices as being affected

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/tunein-changes

There's a big dose of skeptism on the underlying reasons, as the Sounds App seem to be being pushed hard as the future of BBC content, despite it having less functionality than what it replaces. The BBC responses to the many disgruntled TuneIn customers is pretty mealy-mouthed IMHO.

It would seem that if TuneIn could support the BBC ID Signin as part of their account process, this could be solved and functionality returned to customers with embedded players. TuneIn though, seem to suggest this is not something they want to support.

And so, we're left in the lurch.

Oddly, local BBC Radio stations seem to be unaffected, so the BBC seem inconsistent in their approach.

Anyone got any data points or idea on how to restore streamed radio playback? This affects my Moment, Beosound 1 and Core products.

Thanks

Tom

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I personally think my life is a lot better without State propaganda. Don’t miss it at all in any format or any channel.

A lot better content out there  FOC or as commercial.

My view is the BBC is being very greedy; it has coined programming from UK licence holders since its start. It is seeking to maintain and increase that unique subscription method (under pain of fine/imprisonment for non-compliance) while at the same time, increase control (via digital platforms) and re-subscribe for what has effectively been paid for already.

Loss if TuneIn et al....probably moving over to either iPlayer or something with higher bandwidth (Netflix/Amazon type subscription) is part of that direction I feel. Call me wrong...we will see.

Overall, I have no beef them moving to subscription/ pay per view - I hope they get commercially what they deserve (bankruptcy). It’s the current method I have issues with.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Listening right now - German IP adress.

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Oct 3 2019 1:02 PM

Its still working for me, and I'm in the UK.

Was expecting it to have stopped working by now, as the withdrawal was supposed to have happened a while ago.

But still working for me, on both my A9 MK 2 and BS 2 (non GA), activated by the B&O app.

Haven't tried with the physical tap, but imagine thats working too.

hostler:

Anyone else noticed that the Nationwide BBC Radio Stsations - 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 - have all been withdrawn from TuneIn, and hence no longer available inside the B&O App to stream to endpoint devices?

For many years we've enjoyed BBC6Music as an alarm on our Beosound 1, but as of yesterday all we get is a generic message about the station being unavailable.

There seems to be a dispute between data exchange between BBC and TuneIn, with neither willing to budge ... leading to the withdrawal of service. This also affects Alexa and Sonos owners it would seem.

The BBC tout the Sounds App as the solution, but this doesn't work for embedded use. Interestingly, they don't list B&O devices as being affected

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/tunein-changes

There's a big dose of skeptism on the underlying reasons, as the Sounds App seem to eb being pushed hard as the future of BNBC content, despite it having less functionality than what it replaces. The BBC responses to the many disgruntled TuneIn customers is pretty really mouthed IMHO.

It would seem that if TuneIn could support the BBC ID Signin as part of their account process, this could be solved and functionality returned to customers with embedded players. TuneIN though, seem to suggest this is not something they want to support.

And so, we're left in the lurch.

Oddly, local BBC Radio stations seem to be unaffected, so the bBC seem inconsistent in their approach.

Anyone got any data points or idea on how to restore streamed radio playback? This affects my Moment, Beosound 1 and Core products.

Thanks

Tom

hostler
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
hostler replied on Thu, Oct 3 2019 4:00 PM

That's odd ... it's clearly not available for me in the UK, either inside the B&O app or B&O device UI, or inside TuneIn's own app.

Very bizarre that it's available overseas, but not for (this) domestic licence-fee paying citizen.

I can Bluetooth from the Sounds App of course, but the alarms and multi-room were really rather handy.

Given the amount of noise online

https://twitter.com/search?q=bbc%20tunein&src=typed_query

I would hope this can be resolved and restored, but if my experience is what everyone will soon be getting, that means a big content pillar for the B&O ecosystem just bit the dust.

Graham
Not Ranked
Liverpool
Posts 16
Bronze Member

It is still available on Sonos, G.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Oct 3 2019 6:04 PM

The BBC / Tunein spat / restriction was from the outset never going affect European countries..

That aside, I don't know why it still works for me, but I'll take it.

hostler:

That's odd ... it's clearly not available for me in the UK, either inside the B&O app or B&O device UI, or inside TuneIn's own app.

Very bizarre that it's available overseas, but not for (this) domestic licence-fee paying citizen.

I can Bluetooth from the Sounds App of course, but the alarms and multi-room were really rather handy.

Given the amount of noise online

https://twitter.com/search?q=bbc%20tunein&src=typed_query

I would hope this can be resolved and restored, but if my experience is what everyone will soon be getting, that means a big content pillar for the B&O ecosystem just bit the dust.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Working fine in B&O app but....

Not working in TuneIn app. I live a few miles from London.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Bw789
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
Bw789 replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 10:48 PM
Mr 10Percent:

I personally think my life is a lot better without State propaganda. Don’t miss it at all in any format or any channel.

A lot better content out there FOC or as commercial.

My view is the BBC is being very greedy; it has coined programming from UK licence holders since its start. It is seeking to maintain and increase that unique subscription method (under pain of fine/imprisonment for non-compliance) while at the same time, increase control (via digital platforms) and re-subscribe for what has effectively been paid for already.

Loss if TuneIn et al....probably moving over to either iPlayer or something with higher bandwidth (Netflix/Amazon type subscription) is part of that direction I feel. Call me wrong...we will see.

Overall, I have no beef them moving to subscription/ pay per view - I hope they get commercially what they deserve (bankruptcy). It’s the current method I have issues with.

Couldn’t agree more!
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS