Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Kaleidescape

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Compostela
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member
Compostela Posted: Sun, Dec 8 2019 12:07 PM

Mention the name "Kaleidescape" and I suspect there will be cries of "retro" , "out of date" , "superseded" , "ridiculous price" . Maybe there would be some justification for that but I am curious, does anyone here own a Kaleidescape system and what do they think of it? The older systems allowed easy (now deemed unlawful) ripping of DVDs. A neat and easy solution for people (like me) who don't like the Plex-style/NAS solution. The newer systems are linked to the Kaleidescape store and seem to enable blu ray quality downloads (gone is the disc ripping function). 

What are these systems like? Do they put the likes of Apple TV in the shade when it comes to the quality of the download and the ease of organising one's movie collection?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

C

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 148
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Sun, Dec 8 2019 12:35 PM

I was close to buy one of the older solution with the Ripping function, but never pulled the plug due to uncertain license topic. As far as I recall there are some challenges involved to transfer the license to use the system if you buy used (at least for the older ones before they itroduced the store for HD videos.

I like the concept with the store now, it most likely the only way of watching full quality in 4K/HD with the recent sound formats, also I think there are many concert videos (which you do not find in other streaming service)

As the store is not open for customers outside US and few other countries the system does not work for me.

But for the seamless streaming solution, there is no other that is solid like Kalaidescape. All other have hick ups here and there, I tested them all (Plex, NAS, dedicated media PC/Server etc.)

Compostela
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member

That's interesting to hear. So hang on, the Kaleidescape store is not available outside the US?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Dec 8 2019 3:38 PM

Thread moved.
Please keep the General Forum section on B&O related topics.

Martin

Compostela
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member

Yes sir!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS