Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Danny Wells
Not Ranked
England
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Danny Wells Posted: Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:27 PM

I have just received an MMC2 fitted with a nude diamond on a sapphire cantliever from Alex Schurholz at schallplattennadeln.

Just to let everyone know that I could not be more pleased - it is absolutely amazing - I cannot differentiate between it's performance and that of my original MMC2.

Two weeks ago I was out-bid at the last second, literally, on a new MMC2 posted on E-bay, so to find out that the one from Alex is, to my ears at least, indistinguishable from an original, is wonderful.

I have a complete four component 6500 system purchased brand new, using an MCP 6500 control panel.

I also have a mint Beomaster 3000-2 purchased new in 1973 and a mint Beomaster 4000 both of which are fed from a Linn Sondek LP12/SME 3009/2 improved using either a Shure V15III or a Shure V15V MXR.

All the systems play via Kef Reference 104ab Speakers, again purchased new, this time in 1977.

Again, my thanks to Alex and I hope that you found my post interesting.

ferrari458spider

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:46 PM

LOL - It's Axel, not Alex.. but yes, he's superb.

I've so far sent him around 50 MMC's to refurbish - and each one has been done brilliantly.  He's very straightforward, honest and easy to deal with - and i've built up a very good business relationship with him.

I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Lee

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 1:46 AM

Good to know! I've heard good things about his rebuilds before, which gives me hope for the future. My MMC2 is still going strong, but I can't imagine being satisfied with something less. I have an MMC3 as well and it's no nearly as sweet, though not bad at all. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Axel's work is regularly praised on this site, and my experience witha re-tipped MMC 20 very much reflects yours 

An interesting mix of equipment, by the way - classic British Hi Fi of the 70s with the same period Beomasters.  I remember the Kefs, they were  excellent loudspeakers and the Linn/SME/Shure V15 combination was highly thought of just before the 'subjective' school of HiFi reviewing got going and introduced us to such concepts as 'cable sound'and other contentious ideas! 

How does the 6500 compare with the other combinations through the Kefs? 

Cleve 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS