Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 5 Encore Version

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 4 Followers

compuz1
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
compuz1 Posted: Sat, Dec 29 2012 4:05 AM

Hi all,

Just bought a Beosound 5 Encore in New York.  The version reads as 1.2.16.  Is that the most recent version?  I ran the manual update and didn't see one available.  Is there one?

compuz1
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
compuz1 replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:31 AM

Sorry duplicate post

compuz1
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Sorry duplicate post

compuz1
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Sorry duplicate post

compuz1
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Anyone with a Beosound 5 able to check their FW?

Kelwin
Not Ranked
Cambridge
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Kelwin replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 10:40 PM

1.2.16 is the latest firmware version for BS5E. Lets hope 2013 will bring and update with Network Link

srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:35 AM

Yes, it´s 1.2.16!

Hope there will be much more Functions in the Update - not only Network Link! Otherwise it will be a bit ridiculous. Every other product will be updated but not the Encore. All my friends are laughing - that it´s not possible to show the Covers of Radiostations - even the song name played itself...  Coverart with Beo 6 - No Chance!.  You can control the Encore with Beo 6 Wifi, but than it´s only possible to get your Music via NAS Wifi too, it will then not be possible to get the Music via Ethernet...  Who can create such a Damn!??  

It is frustrating.

Greets

BV10-46 -  BL8002 - BL 19 - BeoPlay A1 - Beo4 - BeoRemote One  -  3x Beotime - Beotalk 1200 -  Beocom4 - Beocom 2 (Yellow, Alu) - ATV2 / 4 

Kelwin
Not Ranked
Cambridge
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Kelwin replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 3:54 PM

Some Radio stations show the song name in the name field instead for the radio station name, just like they do on RDS. So that part is possible already, although it is a bit of a hack.  It is shown when you have not touch it for a long time under the name B&O have given the station. Other stations which do not broadcast this information says 127.0.0.1 or the station name (which is the case for most stations).

Yes, there is many things on my list:

• Network Link
  • Apple Airplay and DLNA sink
  • Gapless music 
  • High resolution cover art
  • Radio stations covers
  • Alarm Clock
  • Power saving schedule (Like BV11)
  • App configuration (of e.g. Network Link) 

And yes, I'm willing to pay for some of these features, and that would make the BS5E a state-of-the-art product again. I'm sure many people would like a BS5E if they could use it as both Airplay/DLNA sink some times and other times go physically and select their own music

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 4:23 PM

The good old GENRE button back would be very very niceWink

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member

Kelwin:

1.2.16 is the latest firmware version for BS5E. Lets hope 2013 will bring and update with Network Link

Will there be any more updates to this product, I have been told no more updates will come, but does anyone else know different?

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:23 PM

This is the only digital music system B&O have, and one can at least expect some further SW updates.

But is has been very quite from B&O with BS5 updates, so you might be right, I hope not though.

At least an App to control/select music from link rooms would be nice, Beo6 is not usable for me due to the large music collection I have. And Creation5 can not control Radio.

And why can we not our self define the selection criterias n the BS5 controller, i.e. Genre, Album Artist or Folder etc. I really wonder.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You probably won't get anything more/new for the BSEncore.

But you might get a new Audiosystem soon Confused

Greetings Millemissen 

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 1:28 PM

Millemissen:

You probably won't get anything more/new for the BSEncore.

Hej Millemissen

Do you know if the same fate awaits BS5/BM5 Crying

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

In my view the BS/BM5 will end even before the Encore.

But there has been no official talk about it yet - it  is just what I expect.

All new products will either be NL-based or standalone.

The BM5 might be updated for a while.

But do not expect any new functions for it - nor for the Encore.

Greetings Millemissen

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:21 PM

Too bad - but thanks anyway.

Cheers

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:48 PM

Here is the official answer I got from Beocare about the future of the Encore, when asked on 29th october 2012 :

(Quote)
BS5E will always be standalone and there are no plans of 2-way functionnality with the Beo6 and BS5E.

[is the support for a streaming service like spotify/Qobuz/Deezer planned on the BS5E?]
Answer to your last question is no, and we do not have any plans of doing so.
(/quote)

Sad that B&O sees the Encore as a finished product : why not making it compatible with the Beo6??? And why on earth isn't it gapless-compatible???? Huh?

The Encore is a wonderful product, but it could become a strong competitor in the market with just a few (big) software updates.

BeoSeeker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Silver Member

That is the current build. There will be another automatic update posting in the later part of January.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@fisp

Seems that they are still caring for the BS/BM5-combo in Struer.

Today -and tomorrow for automatic downloads- there will be an update.- 6.06.

Some of it should fix some Netradio-probs:

"N.RADIO issues was caused by the media player which has been replaced in this software version."

Would be nice to know WHICH mediaplayer now is used?

Greetings Millemissen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@mbee

"And why on earth isn't it gapless-compabible?"

that is a major problem with DLNA-based devices - not a specific B&O-problem.

With DLNA B&O has choosen the easy route - many highend streamingcompanies a struggling to find a good way to integrete gaplessplay in their software.

But DLNA is a very common way of distributing sound and it makes BeosoundEncore compatible with most servers in the market.

The players that can play gapless use their own dedicated server-software.

Question? How does the Encore react if the music is on a harddrive directly connected to the device. Does it play gapless then?

Greetings Millemissen

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 2:13 PM

No idea with a directly connected device, I'm only using my NAS.

Concerning the fact that devices able to play gapless uses their own server-software, that's not exact : any device using a "computer" file transfer protocol with a NAS can play gapless without installing a dedicated server.

I think that's how Sonos solved the problem. No need to install a "Sonos server", and everything works, on any disk (I think that even the very closed Time Capsule is compatible)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That is another way of playing digitalized music.

You can easily hook your computer up to the Encore and play gapless.

The Sonos-system is creating a seperate network - no use for DLNA there.

Sonos plays FLAC gapless - MP3 only if Lame was used.

B&O could have gone that route too - but they did not due to greater compatibility with 3-part components.

Which server is used on your NAS?

Greetings Millemissen

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 2:52 PM

No idea which server is used, it's the standard Synology server (maybe home-made by Synology).

Concerning Sonos, only the wifi network is proprietary, connected by ethernet, it's a normal network product. And a recent firmware had enabled the Sonos as DLNA renderer I think... So best of both worlds.

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 4:23 PM

Thanks Millemissen.

Good to know that B&O hasn't completely ditched BS5/BM5

Cheers.

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 4:32 PM

Millemissen:

Question? How does the Encore react if the music is on a harddrive directly connected to the device. Does it play gapless then?

Don't know if this is relevant in this context;  still my BS5/BM5 combo plays gapless from FLAC files ripped from my CDs.

However, I have tried all the DLNA apps I could find and they will not allow gapless playing and then I'm not interested.

On the side: I really love the product but B&O is letting us down (referring to almost all of the above postings) Sadly, this will make me consider whether buying B&O products in the future is the right way to go. From today's announcements it is evident that the company is not in a position to disregard the wishes of their costumers.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@mbee

So now you are trying to tell me, that the Sonos in DLNA-renderermode does gaplessplay???

Grrr! Millemissen

srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 5:00 PM

So it´s nice to see your posts - You have the same problems!!

It seems that too much BS5(E) users still accept the situation - and it seems that at the moment still to much people buy this system for their homes......

Otherwise, i think - NO i hope-  the guys in Struer would start to take their brains and begin to work!

With an software update - in my oppinion -  would all our wishes come true. Why no´t B&O...?

So i can say: B&O - Make further products for the Apple User - so you don´t need a stylish system yourself!!!! :-(

And then you have to leave the field to Sonos, B&W and other brand!  

Sad!

Greets SRM

BV10-46 -  BL8002 - BL 19 - BeoPlay A1 - Beo4 - BeoRemote One  -  3x Beotime - Beotalk 1200 -  Beocom4 - Beocom 2 (Yellow, Alu) - ATV2 / 4 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Fisp.

BM/BS5 is not a mediaplayer/DLNA-rendere!

It is a computer with an overlay-userinterface (the BS5) - and a soundcard optimized for PowerLink-speakers and for MasterLink.

It is fast and relieable. After all these years (and many updates) it has become a quite good music-player - especially with the rippingdevice. Possibily to rip to FLAC and a 2Gig harddrive would make it almost perfect.

BUT..., you must be willing to deal/to wheal with a "remote" hanging on the wall/standing on a desk!

Alternatively the small display on the Beo6.

This seems nowadays - in times of iPads and other tablets - quite oldfashioned and unpractical (I have several Linkrooms)

This fact and the high price are the reasons why I don't own it. (I have set up quite a few!)

N.B prices will be lowered from now on! Look for local prices.

The BM5 since a couple of years can work as a DLNA-server as well, which is nice if you have other DLNA-devices. Could be an iPhone/Androidphone with the PlugPlayer-app - nice if you want to listen to music in bed at night. Or a Playmaker.

Allthough I do not think it will happen, B&O could update the BM5 with Win7 and the JRiver Mediaplayer, create a good remote-app and let a new display show coverpics and other info only - no need for wheeling on the wall Smile 

And build in a NL-connection as well.

Greetings Millemissen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@srm,

forget it - won't happen.

Buy a Playmaker and an iPad - much better and cheaper (use the saved money for music).

The DLNA/gaplessplay-problem can only be solved if you buy the BS/BM5. --- Or (even better) use a dedicated computer for the line-in of the Playmaker - a (headless) Vortexbox-player controlled buy MPaD. http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=MPoD --- Or a Win7-computer with JRiver on it controlled by the JRemote-app. www.jremote.net/

Greetings Millemissen

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 6:56 PM

I second the playmaker / itunes / iphone / ipad solution.

Reasonable price, for me it works, I have itunes store, spottify. I can even watch a video on my mac and stream the sound to the speaker with MACos 10.8, it somehow syncs the sound to the video.

There are plenty of nice looking 3rd party apps to organize music . I like the ability to just use my iphone to stream more and more. A dedicated Ipad as a player somehow makes most sense to me these days.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 7:16 PM

Millemissen:

@mbee

So now you are trying to tell me, that the Sonos in DLNA-renderermode does gaplessplay???

Sorry, I'm not saying that as I didn't test the Sonos (which I currently don't have anymore) in DLNA... I have seen that a firmware had enabled the possibility to "see" the Sonos with a DLNA device, but I didn't go further as it's quite useless for "normal" use.

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:07 PM

Millemissen:

@Fisp.

BM/BS5 is not a mediaplayer/DLNA-rendere!

It is a computer with an overlay-userinterface (the BS5) - and a soundcard optimized for PowerLink-speakers and for MasterLink.

Whatever you say Embarrassed

Millemissen:

BUT..., you must be willing to deal/to wheal with a "remote" hanging on the wall/standing on a desk!

Alternatively the small display on the Beo6.

I wish for nothing more.

I have a room dedicated to listening to music and operating the BS5/BM5 directly on the screen is a pleasure. If it was not for the lack of features, that is. I have asked (and believe mentioned in an earlier post here) B&O support and the only answer I get is: "This will not be implemented". When asking for an explanation again the answer is that "..this is the decision of the development team"

Millemissen:

This seems nowadays - in times of iPads and other tablets - quite oldfashioned and unpractical (I have several Linkrooms)

I don't agree. The only reason I have investigated the various DLNA is that they have the functionality that BS5/BM5 is missing. Apart from that I think the iPad solution is awkward. The app closes when not up and running, the interface is clumsy and cluttered, the screen gets greasy (thanks to B&O for the laser beam), and how to view it when not using it etc.

As for sound and design B&O has hit it on the spot, so why do they not finish what they have begun. This is beyond me!

Cheers

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:36 PM

Sonos doesn’t require a server to run. It pulls the files from a standard CIFS-compliant network share like any other PC/Mac. A BS5E (and many other players) needs a server to push the music to the device.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@fisp

Almost exactly what I wrote.

If that is what you need and wish for, the BS/BM5 is perfect.

What is it/which functionallity is it that you are missing then?

I do not agree with you about the iPad:

"The app" - which app do you mean? There are a lot for different solutions out there - some good, some worse.

Which ones have you tried out?

One like it the BS5-wheelingway, anotherone wants to sit back in the chair and choose, what to listen too.

I would prefer a combination: the app running on the iPad and the display on the wall for coverpics and other infos.

I have my FLAC-files on a NAS running the LogitechMediaServer. A Squeezebox Touch is connected to the Playmaker (both hidden away). I use the ipad-apps Squeezepad and iPengHD. Both apps stay on as long as I want it (if so configured)!

Greetings Millemissen

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member

My dealers sale BS 5 & BS5 Encore. It is a sign for a new model that will arrive soon ! Smile

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:33 PM

@millemissen

Ability to search using predefined parameters: Genre, album, artist, composer etc. It's a database so why not use it as such?

All of the apps will do this: PlugPlayer, eLyrics, 8player and the one I like the best Creation5. The last one has had a few upgrades lately but I only know of PP that will play in the background.

None of these will play gapless meaning that for each track BM5 will pause (or very often prematurely cut off the track) while reloading the coverart. Imagine listening to an opera like that? Impossible.

I will probably have to suffice with BS5/BM5 in its present state and that is OK. I'm just frustrated that such small matters are not dealt with properly by B&O. That is why I will think twice before buying another product from B&O. SadSad

Cheers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@fisp,

I see your points Sad

Today - and tomorrow as automatic update - there will be a software-update - to vers. 6.06.

They are updating the player/changing the player due to some problems with Netradio and coverpics in FLAC-files and more.

Would be nice to know if you notice any difference - not that I think that it will make your wishes come true - but would be interesting to hear about it.

Greetings Millemissen

Fisp
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 75
Bronze Member
Fisp replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 10:55 PM

Looking forward to the update and will report back tomorrow.

Cheers

srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 7:20 AM

@ BeoBoy

why should B&O bring a new Audio-Product?  What features should it have?   All you need they can do with their current Systems!

Guys, look to www.olive.us  They show us - how to save music in a stylish way!

Greets

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

One of the reasons for a new audiosystem is the new Link-structure - NetworkLink.

Do not expect new costumers, who have bought a BV11, to invest in the expensive ML/NL-conververter if they want to integrate an audiosystem as well.

And a new NL-based Audosystem could be controlled from the Beoremote-app, allowing multiroom/multisource-functions.

On the other hand: if you are happy with the current audiosystems, you should stick to them. No need for you to care for a new system.

Greetings Millemissen

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

srm:
All my friends are laughing - that it´s not possible to show the Covers of Radiostations - even the song name played itself...  Coverart with Beo 6 - No Chance!.

That's when it hurts the most... when you are trying to show off your purchase to others.

I got told the other day by the other half "I told you it was rubbish", and I bought the BS5e and BL3's as a reward to myself for quitting my old job and starting the new one.

Maybe I should just buy a V1 and give him something to bang on about ! 

*sigh*

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS