Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 50 Power Cords

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

jbomd
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
jbomd Posted: Tue, Apr 7 2020 1:34 AM

Has anyone considered replacing the factory power cords on the Beolab 50's with an aftermarket cord?

If so, which ones did  you use and did it improve the sound?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Apr 7 2020 2:27 AM
I have not tried it with mine. The Technical Sound Guide advises against it.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Apr 7 2020 7:40 AM

jbomd:

Has anyone considered replacing the factory power cords on the Beolab 50's with an aftermarket cord?

If so, which ones did  you use and did it improve the sound?

How would replacing the last couple of meters of a dozen or hundred miles long power string improve the sound of anything?
Let alone a digitally controlled amplifier?

Let me tell you - it doesn't.

Seriously, this is nothing but nonsense and "audiophoolery".
Sticking a photo of Einstein to the bottom of your speakers would be much better in my opinion.

Martin

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 8:01 PM

No, it's not nonsens.

Did you give it a try?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Just make sure that the phase wire is right hand twisted and the negative left hand twisted, this will help with channel separation

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 9:59 PM

koning:
No, it's not nonsens.

It absolutely is nonsense, anyone who would claim otherwise  is either -

a)    not of a technical background and is taken in by charlatans, or

b)    a charlatan!

Ban boring signatures!

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 10:05 PM

Or

c) they are just trolling

Yes it's absolutely nonsense.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Apr 9 2020 10:42 PM
Ah, the good old last magical metre belief.

That is expensive snake oil, foo.

Those who sell them are crooks.

And that is a modest electrician with some theoretical background speaking here. 😇

Jacques

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 12:00 AM

Søren Mexico:

Just make sure that the phase wire is right hand twisted and the negative left hand twisted, this will help with channel separation

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 10:24 AM

Have you tried it?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 12:14 PM
koning:

Have you tried it?

What difference do you find it makes. And why?

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 12:43 PM

With better cables the tone is warmer, the soundstage is more crisp yet soft, and a hint of cinnamon lingers in the air. Same as for vinyl but without the snap, crackle, and pop, and light aroma of kirsch. Trust me, I have electricity in all my homes. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 12:55 PM

koning:

Have you tried it?

What type of mains lead did you install in your walls and did you also fit an upgraded fuse and wall outlet?
What type of lead did the electric company roll in to your home and how far from the power station do you live?
Are you running on wind power, gas or coal?
And you keep all mains leads perfectly straight, right?
Curls or sharp turns could potentially brake the electrons speed as I'm sure you can imagine and I'm curious how you you managed to do that.

And did you try my suggestion? I will be happy to point you to one or two photos I find to give the best results.

Martin

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 1:47 PM

koning:

Have you tried it?

If you can do this then you are a rich man my friend!

Contact any Hifi magazine, or indeed any mains cable manufacturer, and tell them you that can reliably and consistently detect audible differences (in any hifi product of your own choice) caused solely by different Mains power cords under scientifically organised and controlled test conditions.

The cable manufacturer will be so pleased to find someone who can uphold their outrageous claims that you will be able to name your price.

Of course, you may ask yourself, why hasn't anyone else proved they possess such an ability beyond scientific rigour before now, considering the riches on offer!Confused

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 2:29 PM

poodleboy:

With better cables the tone is warmer, the soundstage is more crisp yet soft, and a hint of cinnamon lingers in the air. Same as for vinyl but without the snap, crackle, and pop, and light aroma of kirsch. Trust me, I have electricity in all my homes. 

You should be a reviewer for either Stereophile or Wine Spectator. Laughing

This all reminds me of a story I read long ago about a guy who believed AC power was anathema to good sound, any AC in any circuit ever was bad. He'd built an entire setup around car amps and batteries, totally unpolluted by alternating current. Apparently when asked how he charged the batteries he got this crestfallen look and refused to talk about it.

This also goes to the whole thing about people will tend to rate as different two identical stimuli/audio experiences. The human mind lives to find differences whether they're there or not.

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 2:30 PM

Much like homeopathy, this all happens in your head.

Jacques

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 4:34 PM
The standard powercord cable, should be seen as an antenna. all rfi and emi radiates on it
the same issue with bad quality coax cables.
It is no snake oil.
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 4:55 PM

koning:

The standard powercord cable, should be seen as an antenna. all rfi and emi radiates on it
the same issue with bad quality coax cables.
It is no snake oil.

Sorry mate but that's nonsense - if the 2 metres of mains cord is subject to rfi and emi then so is the 100 or so metres of household wiring it is connected to and then the many miles of cable that connect your house to the generator!

By EU law your appliance needs to meet strict emi susceptibility (and emission) standards.

Finally B&O are, whatever their other faults, not mugs - there is no way on earth they would sell 27K speakers that were compromised by a £2 cable!

Ban boring signatures!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 5:02 PM

An antenna?

Err.. No.

This antenna will be shorted by a very low impedance at the speaker end and an EXTREMELY low impedance (microohms at 50Hz) at the power plant end.

Besides, how would this "noise" ever get anywhere inside the speaker?
If you choose to see the power cord as a balanced transmission system, the two leads inside the power cord are closely following the same path, they run through the same environment and they will pick up the same "noise".
All will be equalled out at both the power plant end and the business end - if anything was ever picked up.

The power supply primary is galvanically separated from anything on the low voltage secondary side - regardless of it having a conventional 50Hz transformer, which practically can't transformer a lot outside the 50Hz range, let alone anything at RF)
or a switch-mode power supply, where all incoming voltage is rectified, chopped at a high frequency and then transformed to a lower voltage, rectified again and finally filtered.

How on earth should anything - let along a signal as tiny as anything picked up by a 2m lead at microohms impedance - ever get anywhere?

How come one type of power cord should be able to pick up this "noise" and another type of cord shouldn't?

And why doesn't the rest of the "power cord" (read, the length running to the power plant) pick anything up that should be "corrected"?

Coax cables is a completely different matter. Impedances are a million times greater. Comparing noise picked up by a coax cable to noise picked up
by power cords is signal transmission and electronics misunderstood.

Sorry to say this, but it's all an attempt to take peoples money.
If you don't like to call it snake oil, let's call it babble, gibberish or gobbledygook.

Keep your money. Stay sane. Yes - thumbs up

Martin 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 6:34 PM

I like this test

https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/double-blind-abx-testing-proves-power-cords-effect-audio/

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 7:16 PM

Brilliant, Peter.
Not that I would ever expect otherwise from you.
- Just brilliant! Laughing  

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Peter:

I like this test

https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/double-blind-abx-testing-proves-power-cords-effect-audio/

I made this test on my micro wave oven, even my wife could tell the difference

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 10 2020 8:50 PM

Peter:

I like this test

I've personally found that power cords from Lirpa Labs are by far the best.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS