Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Can I use the Beo4 remote to control a Beosound 5?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 Posted: Mon, Apr 27 2020 12:28 PM

I would like to use a Beo4 remote to control a Beosound 5/Beomaster 5. At the moment it can turn it on by pressing CD or Radio, Stop and turn off. But that's all. I have browsed through Beo4 threads here but cannot find anything to lead me to think I can use it. If it is possible could someone inform me of the steps to take to program the Beo4 to do it.

Thanks.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

There is a bit more....

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Mon, Apr 27 2020 2:21 PM

Sorry, What are you saying?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You asked for how to control the BS5 with the Beo4....I gave you the instruction from the user guide.

Don’t you see the pic?

MM

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member

We can help you better if you tell us what kind of control you are missing?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Here is the User Guide for the BS5

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/files/user-guides/BeoSound5/beosound5_userguide_english.pdf

MM

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 12:13 AM

Thank you for all that but didn't you read my post? The only keys on the Beo4 that respond on the Beosound5 Are CD, Radio, Stop and Standby. I have the User guided and have been through it numerous times. Following the instructions on how to add functions/Keys but to no avail. I have the Non Navigation button Remote, one of the earlier ones with the Sat and AV keys, that had been used to control a Beocenter 2300 and was controlling that fine. With the Beosound5 The Navigation keys do nothing apart from the down arrow which restarts the currently playing track. I cannot skip forward to the next track or do any other sort of navigation with the control buttons. I note the Beo4 guide and tips I have seen on this site say to add the 'PC' Option using the standby and list buttons to get it but there is no pc option. That is why I asked for assistance from the much more knowledgeable member of this forum.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
“PC” as an option may not be available on a beo 4 generation remote that has an AV button
Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 12:35 AM

Ah, thanks Barry. So would that mean I cannot use the particular remote I have on the beosound5 than?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 10:48 AM

Mick3043:

Ah, thanks Barry. So would that mean I cannot use the particular remote I have on the beosound5 than?

Your remote should be fine to control the BS5, with the exception of the PC function (although I am not sure what you need that for on a BS5!).  If other keys (eg volume control) do not work then there is the possibility that your remote is faulty.

If you view the end of the remote with an iPhone's 'selfie' camera, you should see the IR emitters glowing when the remote is transmitting - maybe try this for different button presses, and see what works.

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:04 AM

Ah, sorry. I neglected to say the volume works ok, as do the lists, stop and standby keys. 

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:04 AM

Ah, sorry. I neglected to say the volume works ok, as do the lists, stop and standby keys. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Mick3043:

Thank you for all that but didn't you read my post? The only keys on the Beo4 that respond on the Beosound5 Are CD, Radio, Stop and Standby. I have the User guided and have been through it numerous times. Following the instructions on how to add functions/Keys but to no avail. I have the Non Navigation button Remote, one of the earlier ones with the Sat and AV keys, that had been used to control a Beocenter 2300 and was controlling that fine. With the Beosound5 The Navigation keys do nothing apart from the down arrow which restarts the currently playing track. I cannot skip forward to the next track or do any other sort of navigation with the control buttons. I note the Beo4 guide and tips I have seen on this site say to add the 'PC' Option using the standby and list buttons to get it but there is no pc option. That is why I asked for assistance from the much more knowledgeable member of this forum.

Certainly I read your post.

But first after reading this post, I was able to understand, what you were asking for!

Now knowing that you use an old Beo4, I see what you mean.

However the old Beo4 unfortunately is limited for controlling the BS5.

I wouuld buy a preowned Beo4 with navi to avoid the troubles.

P.S. You won’t need the ‘PC’ button for anything.

MM

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:51 AM

If you didn't already know about this, you should know that using a Beo6 remote with a BeoSound 5 gives you a really magical experience. The Beo6 connects with 2-way communication! You actually can see and scroll through your music on the Beo6 remote screen. The remote even shows the cover art of what is playing.

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:52 AM

I apologise for not including all the details originally. So The Remote I have isn't up to it I guess. I will keep my eye open for suitable Navi button example then. 

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:54 AM

I was going to ask whether I would be better off with the Beo6 so you have answered that for me. Thanks. You don't think it is a bit of overkill though? I was assuming it is more suited to TV control.

Mick3043
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Mick3043 replied on Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:54 AM

Hi Beojeff. I was wondering about the Beo6 and after reading what you said and watching a couple of youtube videos you have me more than interested. If you dont mind a couple of questions.. Did you program the Beo6 yourself? Did you use the Third party app or something else? Where did you get the codes from? I obviously can't copy the output from the Beo4 as it doesnt control the Beosound5 unfortunately.

Thanks in anticipation.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Apr 29 2020 2:43 AM

Mick3043:

Hi Beojeff. I was wondering about the Beo6 and after reading what you said and watching a couple of youtube videos you have me more than interested. If you dont mind a couple of questions.. Did you program the Beo6 yourself? Did you use the Third party app or something else? Where did you get the codes from? I obviously can't copy the output from the Beo4 as it doesnt control the Beosound5 unfortunately.

Thanks in anticipation.

I have many Beo6 remotes and have programmed them all myself. Lately, however, I tend to use the BeoRemote One and use the BeoSound Moment more than the BeoSound 5. If you look carefully in the Beo6 forum on this site, you should find hints as to where you can get the programming software. The programming software is actually quite easy to use for basic programming. You don't need any codes for it. You just indicate which B&O devices that you use and the remote is configured with the correct commands for your B&O devices. You can, however, edit these to achieve a more customized layout. You set up the remote to use the wifi network that you use for your BeoSound 5. Then, It populates the screen with the content of your BeoSound 5, which you can search and scroll. I wouldn't necessarily say the Beo6 is more for video products than audio products. It's just a more programmable remote with a screen layout that you can customize to meet your particular needs.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS