Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Best Beolabs for rear effects?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps Posted: Tue, Sep 29 2020 12:35 PM

Hi Beoworlders,

Quick question: which Beolab speakers are suited best to rear surround effects in a 5.1 set-up?

I've set up my BV7 32 with Beolab 7.1 as centre, Beolab Penta Mk2 as mains and am looking to buy some suitable rear speakers.

Are the Beolab 6000s actually any good? They're so lovely and discreet, but I can't help but worry they won't be up to much for loud films.
I'm also considering looking for a set of Beolab 3000 (flat panel) - any thoughts on these?

Any comments appreciated,

Julian

oli
Top 500 Contributor
Southeast of France
Posts 141
Bronze Member
oli replied on Tue, Sep 29 2020 12:56 PM

I have 6002 as rear with Beolab 5 as front and 7.6 as center. I had to decrease the speaker level output of the BL5 in the BV7-55 settings to improve the speech clarity coming from the 7.6, and my 6002 are too distant in the back, but even in this configuration the 6002 are doing the job.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
When I had my BV7-40 with BL7.4 as center, I had Pentas as front and rear. Highly recommended. It will literally blow you away.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Tue, Sep 29 2020 7:00 PM
oli:

I have 6002 as rear with Beolab 5 as front and 7.6 as center. I had to decrease the speaker level output of the BL5 in the BV7-55 settings to improve the speech clarity coming from the 7.6, and my 6002 are too distant in the back, but even in this configuration the 6002 are doing the job.

Thanks @Oli I appreciate the comments. Given the punch those Beolab 5's can deliver I'm impressed that the 6002s hold their own.

Definitely worth holding out for mk2 versions then?

(Whatever I get will be replacing a pair of Celestion Ditton 44s as these will now be paired with a Beosystem 5000 (midi-style). I'm already accepting the fact there won't be much rumble from the back two anymore.)
pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Tue, Sep 29 2020 7:02 PM
leosgonewild:

When I had my BV7-40 with BL7.4 as center, I had Pentas as front and rear. Highly recommended. It will literally blow you away.

@leosgonewild Now that, dear fellow, would be incredible. And I hadn't actually considered that as an option. Wow!
Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Tue, Sep 29 2020 7:43 PM
The bv will filter the bass away to the most capable speakers anyway. So for movies this is excellent, but don’t expect for the 6002’s to fully keep up in speaker 4 Stick out tongue they’ll do their best in that situationBig Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Tue, Oct 20 2020 12:51 PM
Update: So I bit the bullet and scored a nice pair of Beolab 6000s last night. After giving them a clean and straightening the fret clips I set them up and put a dvd copy of Baby Driver into the Beovision.

Wow!

The speed of the effect steering is excellent compared to surround systems I've had in the past. To finally have a one-make Dolby Digital sound system is amazing Big Smile

I found out the brilliant party trick of the BV too; using the Beo4 to move the sound from speaker to speaker (in speaker 4 mode)! This is too cool for school!

Love how the BV sends the low frequencies to the Pentas and keeps the mid and treble with the 6000s too. Very cool and not something I've experienced before.

So as is often written in this forum, "I should have done this years ago!" Big Smile
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Oct 20 2020 1:49 PM
Glad to hear 600x works well.

I use 8000s and they are beneficial also in looks and the slightly higher placed tweeter. Above my high sofa.

They also get to play stereo sound sometimes as they are opposite of my kitchen so the sound from the surround speakers actually play into the kitchen. I either use just them or quad stereo with the fronts.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

accutrigger
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

Hi Miki,  I follow your channels on youtube all the time.  Great stuff!

I have a few questions, and begin I will paint you a picture of my current set up:

65in Beovision center.

Beolab 50 L/R.

No woofer

No rear surround 

I want to add surround rear for my current set up.  I'm an active music listener and appreciate UHD movies.

In lieu of 2 beolab 18 as rear surround (for movies really, for all the wizzing bullets and doppler effects...), a cheaper solution would be a BeoSound Stage. 

Questions:

Sound production quality wise, will the BeoS stage out perform the beolab 18s in quality? in movies?  in music?

Assuming it is Dolby ATOMS, I can actually turn the bar upside down so it's "firing" downward and invert the L/R rear input channels on the BeoVision.  This can be done correct?  Reason i want to fire down is so i can place the bar slighly above head level to get the "ceiling" affect without adding more speakers to it.   I love more speakers but i really shouldn't...  (We are not audiophiles, we are HiRes Crackheads)  =)

I understand it's more unidirectional for the sound bar, as your recent videos showed in the BeO Store reviewing the stage.  Or is it not so given that the ATOMS of the sound bar create a surround effect in the rear?

I really appreciate your thoughts, time and especially your expertise on this!

Dean

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You can not connect the BS Stage to a Beovision and use it as a speaker (e.g. for the surround channels) - the Stage is a standalone unit.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Fri, Jul 9 2021 11:11 PM
If you are not using your rear speakers in a 4 stereo setup you can chose your rears according to looks and possibility of integrating them in your room. We have Beolab 4000 and Beolab 8000 in different rooms - they are for effects and surround sound images, so do not worry too much about how capable they are.

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Sat, Jul 10 2021 12:30 AM
accutrigger:

Hi Miki, I follow your channels on youtube all the time. Great stuff!

I have a few questions, and begin I will paint you a picture of my current set up:

65in Beovision center.

Beolab 50 L/R.

No woofer

No rear surround

I want to add surround rear for my current set up. I'm an active music listener and appreciate UHD movies.

In lieu of 2 beolab 18 as rear surround (for movies really, for all the wizzing bullets and doppler effects...), a cheaper solution would be a BeoSound Stage.

Questions:

Sound production quality wise, will the BeoS stage out perform the beolab 18s in quality? in movies? in music?

Assuming it is Dolby ATOMS, I can actually turn the bar upside down so it's "firing" downward and invert the L/R rear input channels on the BeoVision. This can be done correct? Reason i want to fire down is so i can place the bar slighly above head level to get the "ceiling" affect without adding more speakers to it. I love more speakers but i really shouldn't... (We are not audiophiles, we are HiRes Crackheads) =)

I understand it's more unidirectional for the sound bar, as your recent videos showed in the BeO Store reviewing the stage. Or is it not so given that the ATOMS of the sound bar create a surround effect in the rear?

I really appreciate your thoughts, time and especially your expertise on this!

Dean

Hi accutrigger, thank you for watching!Big Smile

What Millemissen said is correct, we can’t use a beosound stage that way. The delay and soundprocessing inside the Stage just doesn’t work that way. If you’re looking for speakers in the same price realm I would highly suggest a set of beolab 3’s, 17’s if you can find a cheap pair or 1’s even.

With 50’s upfront you don’t need a (rear) subwoofer unless your room is like over 75m2 you may think of adding one in the back specifically. I think you’ll be very surprised to hear how potent 3’s are and you can mount them just as high and point them downwards like you thought of doing with the Stage. That’s honestly the best bang (literally Stick out tongue) for the buck you ad.

If i had your setup and wanted rears for roughly €900-1250 that’s what i would do. Hope that helps?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Hi there

I have lab 5 at front and had 6000’s for over 15 years as rears and just put 8000’s in their place can really hear the difference.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

altist
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Gold Member
altist replied on Sun, Jul 11 2021 8:29 AM

I have had 8000 front and 6000 rear,then bought 9s front a moved 8000 to rear, and now bought 3s for rear and find they do pack a punch and mounted on their floorstands put out their sound at exactly the height I sit on my sofa. The effect is pretty potent in my listening environment so I would recommend 3s rear. Small point to note is mk1 3s aren’t really repairable if the board or power board goes,so if you can stretch to the mk2 I would recommend that.( I I was lucky my local B&O guy persevered and repaired the power issue but it wasn’t cheap!) 

loureed5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Gold Member
loureed5 replied on Sat, Jul 17 2021 2:12 PM

Hi Julian,

When I had my surround system (which I no longer have thanks to financial difficulties), I had 8000 as my front speakers,along with the 7.4 centre and Beolab 2 sub-woofer.

The rears were Beolab 4000's ,mounted on stands high enough to clear my lounge suite.

The sound was breathtaking.

As for the 6000's,your reservations are well founded. I had a pair for the front for a short period of time and I ended up selling them because I didn't like the sound .Replacing them with the 8000's made a huge difference to the overall sound of the system.

The 6000's were once described by an anonymous engineer as " car radio playing through downpipes".

Noel.

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Mon, Feb 7 2022 11:46 PM
loureed5:

Hi Julian,

When I had my surround system (which I no longer have thanks to financial difficulties), I had 8000 as my front speakers,along with the 7.4 centre and Beolab 2 sub-woofer.

The rears were Beolab 4000's ,mounted on stands high enough to clear my lounge suite.

The sound was breathtaking.

As for the 6000's,your reservations are well founded. I had a pair for the front for a short period of time and I ended up selling them because I didn't like the sound .Replacing them with the 8000's made a huge difference to the overall sound of the system.

The 6000's were once described by an anonymous engineer as " car radio playing through downpipes".

Noel.

Hi Noel,

Thanks for writing. Now some time has passed since I first installed the 6000s I agree with your writing. I'm about to move house and think it's time to change out the slim pipes and go for something a little warmer.

Julian
pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Mon, Feb 7 2022 11:48 PM
altist:

I have had 8000 front and 6000 rear,then bought 9s front a moved 8000 to rear, and now bought 3s for rear and find they do pack a punch and mounted on their floorstands put out their sound at exactly the height I sit on my sofa. The effect is pretty potent in my listening environment so I would recommend 3s rear. Small point to note is mk1 3s aren’t really repairable if the board or power board goes,so if you can stretch to the mk2 I would recommend that.( I I was lucky my local B&O guy persevered and repaired the power issue but it wasn’t cheap!)

Hello,

Thank you for commenting. Yes I'm in agreement with you. 8000s do seem to be good back-buddies for the Pentas and 7.4.

Julian

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I think Penta + BL6000 is a good setup. BL6000's should be more than adequate for rear/side effects.

Depending on the type of viewing genre you prefer, I would guess a subwoofer to enhance the Penta/BL6000 may also help if so desired.

I use BL3s as my rear/side speakers and for the use they receive, I cant see any reason to upscale to a higher spec loudspeaker. 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS