Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Sonos Connect Amp with Beolab 2 Sub and Beolab 8000 Speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

beonewbie84
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
beonewbie84 Posted: Sun, Oct 18 2020 3:59 AM

Does anyone know how to connect the Beolab 2 Subwoofer and the Beolab 8000 Speakers to a Sonos Connect Amp??

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sun, Oct 18 2020 3:53 PM

1) Beolab speakers are self-amplified, so you will be using the "Analog Audio" jacks (RCA) on your Sonos, not the "Speakers" jacks.  (Use the Sonos app to set them to variable-volume-out.)

2) Your Beolab 8000s will turn themselves on when they see an audio signal on their Line In ports, so you can use standard RCA-to-RCA cables.  Your Beolab 2 doesn't turn itself on the same way, so you will need a special cable with a power supply to trigger it.  See this message for specifics relevant to you, supplied by one of the sponsors of this messageboard (the rest of the thread is interesting but not 100% identical to your case):

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/23023.aspx#262166

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

Are you able to change the Sonos Connect Amp to a Sonos Connect or Sonos Port please?

These are better suited to powered Beolab speakers.

Please let me know and I can advise on the cables you need.

Kind regards Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sun, Oct 18 2020 5:12 PM

Hey, Steve, The reason I referred them to your previous post was, it sounded like they just had those specific pieces of old equipment to use.  Other than energy usage and letting the analog amplifier part of a Connect:Amp go to waste, do you know some audio-quality or method-of-use reasons to prefer a Connect?  (Obviously buying a new Port will run with Sonos App S2 thus maybe someday support higher sampling rates, but otherwise?)  

beonewbie84
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

I really dont want to change any of my equipment.

Would the following work?

Connect Sonos amp to tv using rca to rca

Connect the Beolab 2 sub to the Sonos amp using the powered connection from Steve

Connect the Beolab 8000's using some kind of line to audio speaker cable route? Is this possible?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I can help!  

If you have not yet purchased (or if you have recently purchased) the Sonos system, I would advise you to return the Connect:Amp unit and change it to a Connect or Port unit which has audio out sockets for direct connection of Beolab speakers.  Using the Connect:Amp unit also requires a special Attenuated Converter ( https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/33-power-amplifier-to-beolab-line-in-attenuated-convertor-kit.html ) for Connect:Amp unit, as well as cables, to reduce the amplified outputs of the Connect:Amp to safe levels for the Beolab speakers to accept.

Hence, you will get better sound at a lower cost by using the Connect or Port instead of Connect:Amp.

Please feel free to email me directly via my sponsor link below for full setup details on any of these Sonos players and I will be happy to help.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Mon, Oct 19 2020 5:35 AM

Oops, sorry @beonewbie84 and Steve, I was thinking of a Sonos ZonePlayer100, not a Connect:Amp.  The Connect:Amp only has the RCA analog *input* jacks, not the outputs too like the ZP100 did.  (the subwoofer RCA jack was an output, at least... 33% right, not close enough...)  So yeah, a speaker-to-line-level reducer for the 8000s and a power-trigger for the BL2 too.  

Also @beonewbie84, you didn't say anything about the TV being an input at first: If you hook your TV sound output to the line-in on the Sonos, in order to play on the Beolabs, as you describe, I predict you'll hate it: Because the Sonos system distributes the line-in to the rest of the house-wide Sonos system, there is a delay while it processes the audio and sends it to the rest of the house speakers.  To be in sync with the whole house, even the original zone plays a bit behind!  This makes lip sync a nightmare.  Alas, this is true for a Sonos Connect as well, and is true whether or not you actually have any other zones in the system!  (You can set the line-in re-transmission mode to "uncompressed", which speeds it up some, but it's still too long for me.  YMMV.)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS