Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Power switch for external amplifiers Beomaster 7000

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

garrard301
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
garrard301 Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2021 9:23 PM

I am using non-B&O external amplifiers with my Beomaster 7000. I would love to be able to turn the amplifiers on/off with a remote relay as I switch the Beomaster 7000 on and off - as I do with my Beocenter 9000, using a 4001 Remote Mains Switch. Or any alternatives?
Is there any way I can wire a spare 4001 to the Powerline DIN of the 7000 (replacing the plug) to trigger the relay in the 4001? I am sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forum.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Jan 4 2021 8:55 AM

garrard301:

I am using non-B&O external amplifiers with my Beomaster 7000. I would love to be able to turn the amplifiers on/off with a remote relay as I switch the Beomaster 7000 on and off - as I do with my Beocenter 9000, using a 4001 Remote Mains Switch. Or any alternatives?
Is there any way I can wire a spare 4001 to the Powerline DIN of the 7000 (replacing the plug) to trigger the relay in the 4001? I am sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forum.

The Powerlink connections on the BM7000, has a trigger voltage to power on the active speakers, you can use this. Search for powerlink pinout on the web, and you will find what you need.

/Weebyx

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 4 2021 11:49 AM

The 4002 remote mains switch should work fine if you change the plug (or build an adaptor) so that it is triggered from powerlink pin 4.  I have used it in this manner, and have also successfully used the trigger from an RJ45 powerlink socket in a Playmaker.

However, the 4002 specifically states that the device controlled should be a maximum of 500W, so check your amplifier or use a different solution.

EDIT: Just realised that you were talking about the 4001 (not 4002), which I think is the US version and has a difference max power rating - possibly of 1500W if the pictures I have just googled are correct!  Other details should be the same, and the user manual is on the site.

There's a DIY relay circuit here: http://beotech.beoworld.org/circuit.htm

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 4 2021 12:33 PM

Further to the above, B&O did make an adaptor that would allow you to use the 4001/2 with a Powerlink socket: (saves cutting any wires, and allows you to still use the PL socket)

garrard301
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Thanks, everyone, for the useful info.

I have just acquired a working 4001 with the plug already cut off, so I can now wire one to trigger from a PowerLink outlet. I understand pin 4 for the + power, so presumably pin 2 for the second wire?

Wanted to check before I do anything stupid...

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Jan 27 2021 10:52 PM

Yes, pin 2 is correct for the other wire (ground).

See Peter Pan's 2 Aug post here for a diagram: http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32157&PN=1&TPN=7

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Jan 31 2021 9:09 PM

I was browsing Amazon and came upon this switch, which could be an option for people wanting to trigger more powerful mains devices from a Powerlink (or USB) 5v trigger.  It's a bit pricey, but a possible option for those unable to find the B&O remote mains switch or unwilling to make their own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0765WBGK6/?coliid=I8QO0DLXT03IS&colid=3IR721MNWWYM8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I haven't bought one, but saved it in my 'wish list' just in case Big Smile

garrard301
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
garrard301 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2021 10:51 PM

This should work, too, for the US/Canada, and is much cheaper!

Like the look of this, as the mains includes ground, unlike the B&O trigger boxes.

Might pick one up...

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Feb 1 2021 9:46 AM

garrard301:

This should work, too, for the US/Canada, and is much cheaper!

Like the look of this, as the mains includes ground, unlike the B&O trigger boxes.

Might pick one up...

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-Power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or WiFi, Relay Shield: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Yes that looks much better value - pity they don't do a 240v UK version.

Did you get your B&O remote switch working OK?

garrard301
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

I bought the Iot relay from amazon (Canada link above) to power up the two big amplifiers I use with my Beomaster 7000, and it's now arrived. It was very easy to link it to pins 2 and 4 of the Powerlink DIN, and it works excellently. Two relay controlled outlets, one that works in reverse, and one that is always on. Good value. The only problem I had was that there were no instructions, only a link to a web page that didn't have them, but a quick chat to the manufacturers, and I was on the instructions page. A B&O two pin relay box now happily doing the switching on my Beocenter 9000. Thanks for all the advice!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Mar 6 2021 6:12 PM

Great news - glad that you are happy with the setup.  The Lot relay sounds like a great bit of kit; we just need a UK version! 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Mar 6 2021 6:12 PM

Deleted - double post.

garrard301
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

This is the one you mentioned above.

Keene AC Powerswitch Relay Or Trigger Control for Iot Arduino Raspberr – K2Audio

or

Keene AC Powerswitch Relay Or Trigger Control for Iot Arduino Raspberry Pi ESP32 KPS1: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

10A would suggest a power rating of up to 1850 ish watts.

Just connect Powerlink pins 2 and 4 to the little green terminal, keeping polarity, and that's it (though I see this one also has a plug socket for the continuous trigger, and for a usb trigger).

It is pricey, though!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS