Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Chromecast built-in - working/not working?

rated by 0 users
This post has 198 Replies | 10 Followers

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 5:51 PM
Hiort:

I looks as if M5 and A6 are a bit lost with regards to Chromecast....

Our expectations are now set !

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 8:29 PM
And I guess the BS 1 mk1 will not be updated too as it is sharing the same software than the M5 and the A6

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Mon, Feb 15 2021 9:18 AM

Hiort:

mbolo01:

Hiort:
I have asked support why the old CC version is kept.

Will be good to know as without an upgrade these products can't benefit from the flexibility of adding/removing them from playing session.

Back to the screenshot I posted, as HAWK answered, it is the Google Home App / Multimedia button that shows what's currently playing and from where you can control products individually assuming they have a recent CC software.

Hopefully this feature will be supported by more and more app or OS.

Got the following reply from B&O on my question why Chromecast was not updated and when A6 will receive an update of its firmware:

The update would not be with the Chromecast firmware but with the M5 and A6's firmware itself. The two are distinct from one another and updates to the Chromecast firmware are no longer possible.
Different generations of devices will have different Chromecast firmware.
As the update for the M5 was to its firmware the A6's update is still in development.

I looks as if M5 and A6 are a bit lost with regards to Chromecast....

Thanks, pity to hear, probably that will also be the case for the Essence MK2. Latest firmware there is from 11 December 2020 (v1.24.41627.xxxxxxxxx).  The Chromecastr version is 1.28.102057.

As said, happily it is visible in the Google Home app and in apps like Spotify and TuneIN and it is working as it should (Deezer is still buggy, also on all other brands with Chromecast). Also the "radio buttons" to add/delete a speaker on the fly is working, but there it starts to get buggy (if you deselect the Essence on the fly, it is removed from the GH Group you were playing from permantently..........). 

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Mon, Feb 15 2021 2:10 PM

So it looks that Chromecast will no longer work for the A6 at all?  The technical support department’s reply that an update’s  “not possible“ doesn’t make a lot of sense. I wish they had explained it better. It only reaffirms my choice to get a Chromecast audio dongle and plug it in. I grant that the DAC is not as good as the one in the unit, but it’s better than not having it at all. Really frustrating.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Feb 15 2021 4:31 PM

I don't believe it's the case that CC will not work.  I believe it is the case that newer, advanced CC features like dynamically adjustable groups will not work.

I hope the Chromecast audio dongle works well for you because mine does not.  It is the most unreliable of all my CC devices.

Stan

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
laseralex replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 5:47 AM

Hiort:

The update would not be with the Chromecast firmware but with the M5 and A6's firmware itself. The two are distinct from one another and updates to the Chromecast firmware are no longer possible.

And yet they are sprinting forward with CC and doing little or nothing with their own NL protocol over which they have total control.

If you look in my signature you'll see that I have 11 different endpoints purchased over the past ~6 years that work with NL,  and have support for TuneIn and Deezer.  I just got a Level which is a beautiful device but doesn't work with any of the 11 other B&O products, nor does it work with TuneIn Radio or Deezer which are the two services I set up to work with all the other devices.  I really love the Level, but I'm struggling as to whether to keep something that doesn't work with anything else I own.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that they are releasing new products that don't work with the other things they've been selling for years.  The whole reason I got into B&O (other than the beautiful design) is that their NL system was miles ahead of what anyone else had to offer.  New products that won't work with old products gives me no upgrade path.  :(

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 8:20 PM

Hi, particularly my M5 keeps bothering me. it’s Running on the latest Firmware 1.24 and out of the blue it suddenly makes trouble. 

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/6096/qn46tosy_jpg.htm

any idea why it’s not showing its serial ID and the system tells about failed software update?

Additionally it has been also disappeared from the Google app as chrome cast device.

Really frustrated here...

Br from Germany :)

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Feb 16 2021 9:31 PM
stampfki:

Additionally it has been also disappeared from the Google app as chrome cast device.

All my M3, A6 and M5 devices do that from time to time. Even my M5 that got updated the other day (but Chromecast fw is the same)

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Wed, Feb 17 2021 3:22 PM

So is it said now that we don’t get GC back on our Beosound/Beoplays?

would be quite a joke have spend a fortune and getting cut off services!

coachsharter
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

So Ive been having issues since mid-January and have only been following the reddit forums for updates, glad I found more people with this issue. Strange thing is that, it hasn't ever been fixed for me? Some people say they can see their M5 on spotify but I still cannot. In fact, when I open the app to check the chromecast version, there is nothing in that field?? It used to say 1.28.102057... but now its empty. Chromecast still doesnt work for me and Im wondering if other peoples M5 has been fixed or if its just me? Ive factory reset like 20 times at least and also router reset. Please tell me if anyone has found a fix.

This is a screenshot of what I see.
https://imgur.com/a/TmIUJqg

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Feb 18 2021 9:43 PM

Have you ever tried to delete the M5 or another problematic device in the Google Home app?
In other words, remove it completely from "this home"?
Delete the Google Home app's cache or reinstall and after restarting the router and mobile device add the M5, or whatever, in the Google Home app again from scratch.
Helped with me with a Naim Mu-so Qb 2 that suddenly started having problems. I don't know if it was the Naim or the Google Home app though, because both are totally buggy.
Anyway, although the Mu-so was correctly connected to the network, it suddenly started to get crazy.
Connected to my Roon network and via Roon it was playable.
But with Chromecast it showed up as connected to the network no longer.
But then I found out that it was connected to my other network, via guest access, which I only use for other tasks and for which the Mu-so had no credentials at all?!
I could well imagine that is a bug in the Google Home app.
Anyway, it might be worth to give it a try and check your networks:
That your devices are not ghosting around in another or even your neighbors network via guest access and therefore are discoverable no more.

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 1:00 PM

It’s really a pain with this company! You buy a product which is advertised as Chromecast capable and out of a sudden you loose that. Because of an Google update???

so next one is probably Spotify and their own NL system they almost buried. So I’m having now equipment lying around which is just nicely looking trash...

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 2:18 PM

stampfki:

It’s really a pain with this company! You buy a product which is advertised as Chromecast capable and out of a sudden you loose that. Because of an Google update???

so next one is probably Spotify and their own NL system they almost buried. So I’m having now equipment lying around which is just nicely looking trash..

This I wrote before about this item: "One thing is clear: unless you are Apple or Google, you always have a disadvantage. There is a point where your devices become incompatable just because of unpredicted/unannounced changes."

Not only for B&o a problem. But a reason the more for B&o to enhance their own multiroom (CC or Airplay should work aside with B&o multiroom).

Note: I do not say you're B&o devices can not use CC anymore in the future.

Hiort reported: "Got the following reply from B&O on my question why Chromecast was not updated and when A6 will receive an update of its firmware:

The update would not be with the Chromecast firmware but with the M5 and A6's firmware itself. The two are distinct from one another and updates to the Chromecast firmware are no longer possible.

He didn't got an answer whether this would be the end of CC completely on both devices, to me it reads, there may be a way around (for the time). 

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 3:34 PM

My read on this is Google changed something on their backend which is causing these problems.  My BS2 (mk1) went from working, to not working, to working again with no software changes on the BS2.  Therefore, all that B&O can do is 1) lean on their "partner" (Google) to fix their stuff and 2) keep NL alive. 

The Level has a path to address the longer term obsolescence that we will eventually see across our products, but for older products there is only so much that can be done.  Actively developed software tends to grow and will eventually require hardware upgrades to support newer releases. It sounds like this is already the case for the A6. 

As far as CC goes, given their investment in GVA, they can't drop it as GVA and CC go hand in hand.  However, that doesn't mean older products will not be left behind.

My older products now still work (2x Essence Mk2, BS2 mk1), but they don't work with the new CC features like joining a currently playing group.  Then again, this feature didn't exist when I bought these products so am I really losing anything?

I can't say I'm happy about this, but this is the current reality of "smart" products. Hopefully these CC problems are enough to motivate B&O to continue supporting NL.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 5:13 PM

Indeed the good news is that "normal" Google/Chromecast use is still working (at least for me). The new functionality for adding / removing speakers on the fly is "unpredictable" (sometimes it works, but sometimes after this, the speaker is removed from a Google Group all together.....), but ok, as long as the "old" GC version can still be used by GC and in GC groups, it is not that bad. 

Of course it would be better not to fully integrate all these third party features, but modulize it. Either externally (like with the Essence and the Core) or internally. So when after a few years, new tech is there, and a module can not be upgraded by software alone anymore, just replace this module and off you go (like upgrading from Essence MK1 to MK2 and later to the Core, and if the Core is EOL, the Core MK2 or any other new module). 

Don't know if internally B&O also works with these kind of modules that can "easily" be upgraded?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 8:43 PM

I spoke too soon.  My "older" devices stopped working again today. Super Angry Same "authentication server unreachable" error as before. 

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 9:43 PM

Same here; BS2 w/o GVA, Essence MKII, M5 disappeared from GH app.

BTW: are the products with GVA working? Have those been updated to Chromecast >1.28?

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
Dyssegaard replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 10:23 PM
Stan:

I spoke too soon. My "older" devices stopped working again today. Same "authentication server unreachable" error as before.

Same thing here with both of my M5’s Indifferent

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 10:44 PM

My M3, Eclipse gen 1, bs1 gva and Chromecast audio work.  My bs2 mk1 and essence mk2 do not.  My older products have 1.28.* and my working products have 1.44.*.  The CCA has 1.42.*

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 11:14 PM

My BS2  Mk1  works ...

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 20 2021 11:22 PM

Very strange.........my Essence MK2 (GC v1.28) was working around 17:00 (CET), did not notice any problem, but now it seems to have stopped working around 19:00 (CET). Did a reboot again now (around midnight CET), and all is working again now. No connection errors anymore.

Did check the critical log file, and strangely the last few days, every time around 18:00/19:00 CET the GC Authentication error is there, not on other times.

Does the GC server has a dinner break or so around that time? Wink

Let's see if the same thing happens tomorrow, and there is a pattern........given the above messages of other people, it seems time related. Please check the log if it indeed happens around the same time every day.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 10:27 AM

stampfki:

BTW: are the products with GVA working? Have those been updated to Chromecast >1.28?

My Beosound 1 GVA has Chromecast-version 1.44.219548

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 5:35 PM

HAWK:

Very strange.........my Essence MK2 (GC v1.28) was working around 17:00 (CET), did not notice any problem, but now it seems to have stopped working around 19:00 (CET). Did a reboot again now (around midnight CET), and all is working again now. No connection errors anymore.

Did check the critical log file, and strangely the last few days, every time around 18:00/19:00 CET the GC Authentication error is there, not on other times.

Let's see if the same thing happens tomorrow, and there is a pattern........given the above messages of other people, it seems time related. Please check the log if it indeed happens around the same time every day.

It works just now and every time I tested today. With limitations. Because strangely the BS2 played with the Qobuz app via Chromecast only stuttering, I have no idea why.
Switched to Roon, network the same, it worked fine and without stuttering, see last screenshot ....?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 6:07 PM

My 3 devices tend to check around 3, 9 and 13, but it's not "clockwork" (varies +/- 30 minutes,  and not every day).  These times are CST (Chicago)

Also, one of my devices hasn't checked for 2 days (and is unreachable by CC, but works fine with NL), and another failed 30-ish minutes ago, but recently showed again in Google Home.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sun, Feb 21 2021 7:03 PM

HAWK:

Did some more testing today, and GC worked flawlessly and continously from morning until afternoon ...........but at 17:37 (CET, that is 10:37am CST in Chicago) it stopped working. Again GC Authentication failure. Now, 2 hours later, still no luck (also not aftter reboot). Will check it again in a few hours. 

The B&O app keeps working, so it is really a Chromecast issue, that appears to happen daily. 

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 7:06 AM

And indeed, around midnight CET it worked again. Rebooting without the GC error and streaming as it should be. 

So the GC error only in appeared here from 17:37 until max midnight... Maybe a Google server goes down and is rebooted after a few hours when noticed?

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 8:08 AM

HAWK:

And indeed, around midnight CET it worked again. Rebooting without the GC error and streaming as it should be. 

So the GC error only in appeared here from 17:37 until max midnight... Maybe a Google server goes down and is rebooted after a few hours when noticed?

This hypothesis should be easy to verify - I remember that you have other Chromecast built-in speakers from another brand. If it's true, GC shouldn't work with them at this time either?

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 8:24 AM

Ulrike:

This hypothesis should be easy to verify - I remember that you have other Chromecast built-in speakers from another brand. If it's true, GC shouldn't work with them at this time either?

Good point! My other brand Chromecast devises keep working (day and night :)) , but they all run GC v1.44 or newer, so it might be that the reroute "older" GC v1.28 devices to a different server?

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 8:55 AM

Have you ever tried to contact Google support? They should be able to answer that. I called them on January 24 and was told that the firmware on the affected devices had apparently expired, that the manufacturer would have to update it, and that all the problems were related to firmware that was no longer up to date. In any case, the number I was called back from is this: 0016504179099

However, it is possible that this is no longer valid and that you have to create a new Google support ticket.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 9:39 AM

Just an idea to rule out other possible causes:
You could try to change the DNS servers in your router settings. Usually found under Network Settings =》DHCP
If you use the DNS servers of your internet service provider, it is possible that their DNS servers are overloaded at times, especially in the evenings during peak hours. Doesn't happen that rarely.
You could try
8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)
And as a second, substitute in case of overload
1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS)
Maybe it helps?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 10:11 AM

After the recent update of M5s firmware to 1.25.42741.87953554 it does not disappear from the Google Home app and always appear "online" in that app. M5 still have the Chromecast version 1.28.102057 . In Google Home app has problems displaying what M5 is playing when you click on the speaker icon. If you click the media icon it shows whats playing but you cannot add other speakers (newer CC version required).

My A6 (that has no updated firmware) constantly disappear from the Google Home app. Only workaround is to power cycle but it A6 disappear after some time.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 10:18 AM
Hiort:

After the recent update of M5s firmware to 1.25.42741.87953554 it does not disappear from the Google Home app and always appear "online" in that app. M5 still have the Chromecast version 1.28.102057 . In Google Home app has problems displaying what M5 is playing when you click on the speaker icon. If you click the media icon it shows whats playing but you cannot add other speakers (newer CC version required).

My A6 (that has no updated firmware) constantly disappear from the Google Home app. Only workaround is to power cycle but it A6 disappear after some time.

What is shown when playing.

Tapping on Speaker icon in Google Home app.

(Sovrummet is name of M5 speaker)

Tapping on “Media” icon:

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 10:29 AM

Ulrike:

Just an idea to rule out other possible causes:
You could try to change the DNS servers in your router settings. Usually found under Network Settings =》DHCP
If you use the DNS servers of your internet service provider, it is possible that their DNS servers are overloaded at times, especially in the evenings during peak hours. Doesn't happen that rarely.
You could try
8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)
And as a second, substitute in case of overload
1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS)
Maybe it helps?

Thx, that is indeed a good suggestion! Just changed it, and let's see what happens end of day here :)

BTW, does it need DNS continuously when playing already via GC? I would assume it needs to DNS it only once, and then caches the correct ip address of the GC server until the next reboot?

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 11:25 AM

No expert here :) and as far as I found - if your DNS server has the domain name and IP address in its database, it resolves the name itself.
If it doesn't have the domain name and IP address in its database, it contacts another DNS server on the internet. It may have to do this multiple times.
If it has to contact another DNS server, it caches the lookup results for a limited time so it can quickly resolve subsequent requests to the same domain name.
If it has no luck finding the domain name after a reasonable search, it returns an error indicating that the name is invalid or doesn't exist.
The last one perhaps could be the cause also of the firmware problem, namely the way Google server accessibility has been implemented in the FW. But I am only a layman in this field.

But at least I know from experience that you have to reboot your router for any changes to take effect :))

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 6:44 PM

Ok, yesterday it did work all day, but today at 18:04 (CET) it stopped working again (despite the new DNS servers in my router). At 19:30 it worked for a few minutes, but now (19:42) it stopped working again. 

Totally unpredictable behaviour.........I give up and enjoy my Harman Kardon (Citation Towers, great speakers by the way!).

Snorreme
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Snorreme replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 8:25 PM

Same experience this evening.

Looking at the log for Critical Events on my B&M M5  i can read several "Authentication server unreachable, stopping Google Cast". Seem slike a serer issue mor than a DNS-problem.

Snorreme
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Snorreme replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 8:26 PM

Same experience this evening.

coachsharter
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Im surprised you managed to update your firmware for the M5. I dont know if its just me, but I seem to be stuck on 1.24.41628.167401182 according to beotool. It says it is up to date as well, so I cant manually further update it. Chromecast version is missing on the B&O app.

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
coachsharter:

Im surprised you managed to update your firmware for the M5. I dont know if its just me, but I seem to be stuck on 1.24.41628.167401182 according to beotool. It says it is up to date as well, so I cant manually further update it. Chromecast version is missing on the B&O app.

It’s not just you - same version here in Copenhagen.

The Chromecast version is visible in the Bang and Olufsen app where you activate Chromecast:

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

ol
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
ol replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 8:12 AM

Agree that a B&O own nl protocol should have been there on release,  but it is official that NL will be added in Q2 for beound level and beosound balance, tunein is being released by B&O radio, so you'll have All you need this year, if you can wait (ALL streaming devices from Any company has software issues and awaiting fixes)  

Regards 

Ol

Page 3 of 5 (199 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS