Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Chromecast built-in - working/not working?

rated by 0 users
This post has 198 Replies | 10 Followers

SB
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
SB replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 10:16 PM

I was having problems with my M5 not connecting to my Google Home and not being able to make it part of a speaker group. It kept dropping out of Google home, but worked with Spotify Direct. I posted the question on the forum in a different section.

I am providing an update.

I did a call with Google chromecast tech support who did an assessment, identified the chromecast version on my M5 was an old version. They send me the logs and I sent it to B&O support team. They acknowledged the issue and said they are working on it. As of yesterday my M5 dropped out of my network. I reset it by unplugging and re-plugging it. I assumed there might have been a software update (I have set my M5 for auto software update).

All issues are now resolved. M5 is connecting to Google Home and I can add it to my speaker groups. All working well.

I have to comment both Google Chromecast tech support and B&O customer support. They were both extremely helpful resolving this issue, and grateful for sending them detailed logs from my systems to resolve this issue

• Filed under:
SB
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
SB replied on Fri, Feb 5 2021 10:20 PM

I had problems with my M5 not connecting to Google Home. Kept dropping out, but would work with Spotify direct. I could not make M5 part of a speaker group through Google Home. I posted this question in another part of the forum. I am providing an update.

I did a call with Google chromecast tech support who did an assessment, identified the chromecast version on M5 was an old version. They send me the logs and I sent it to B&O support team. They acknowledged the issue and said they are working on it. As of yesterday my M5 dropped out of my network. I reset it by unplugging and re-plugging it. I assumed there might have been a software update (I have set my M5 for auto software update).

All issues are now resolved. M5 is connecting to Google Home and I can add it to my speaker groups. All working well.

I have to comment both Google Chromecast tech support and B&O customer support. They were both extremely helpful resolving this issue, and grateful for sending them detailed logs from my systems to resolve this issue

• Filed under:
bab
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
bab replied on Sat, Feb 6 2021 11:34 PM

CC on my A6 is still not working. CC version is 1.28.102057 while A6 SW version is 1.24.41627...

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 5:49 AM

I am still having the same issue as well. I have just decided to keep the Chromecast audio dongle plugged in and operating. The Chromecast built-in function is so spotty that I just can’t rely on it anymore. It is frustrating.

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 5:50 AM

I have an A6 and I believe I am running the same software that the earlier poster was.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 6:51 AM

bab:

CC on my A6 is still not working. CC version is 1.28.102057 while A6 SW version is 1.24.41627...

Did you restart the system? That is required to authenticate again at the Google servers.

No software upgrade has been done so far, probably they first had to fix a licensing issue.to get it working.

My Essence mk2 is now working again with GC, but as unpredictable as before.

I assume a new GC version is required to make it more predictsble (Google changed a lot in the casting and grouping behaviour), let's hope version 1.44.xxxx.or 1.52.xxxx.is coming soon!  My Harman Kardon speakers got this upgrade and are working ok now with GC.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 8:57 AM
HAWK:

Did you restart the system? That is required to authenticate again at the Google servers.

No software upgrade has been done so far, probably they first had to fix a licensing issue.to get it working.

My Essence mk2 is now working again with GC, but as unpredictable as before.

I assume a new GC version is required to make it more predictsble (Google changed a lot in the casting and grouping behaviour), let's hope version 1.44.xxxx.or 1.52.xxxx.is coming soon! My Harman Kardon speakers got this upgrade and are working ok now with GC.

I didn’t restart or reboot any of my devices, and they started working again
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:31 AM

This Chromecast issue appear to be two issues:

1) M5 and A6 disapearing from Google Home. 

This is now solved and was on Googles side. There was no update in B&O firmware required.

2) Inability to cast Deezer from Deezer app when using Deezer HiFi subscription. 

This issue remain. 

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:54 AM

Hiort:

This is now solved and was on Googles side. There was no update in B&O firmware required.

2) Inability to cast Deezer from Deezer app when using Deezer HiFi subscription. 

This issue remain. 

Strange about Deezer: it seems to stop casting to my HK speakers also....... I have tested it with Hifi subscription, but also with Premium it does not work (using GC streaming, when using the B&O app it streams Deezer as it should). 

So, some work to do for B&O and Google to get this working as a multi-toom system, as it was ment to be.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:18 AM

Did some more Deezer testing on this lazy Sunday.......and it seems the Deezer app is not casting ANY GC product anymore, not to the B&O, not the HK and even not to the Google Home, Mini and Nest devices......and those Google products have the latest GC versions (1.5y.xxxx). Seems a problem of the Deezer app maybe (new version since end of January......)??

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:26 AM

Might be something about how Deezer;s CC communication is not playing nice with the B&O devices.

I just tried CC'ing from the Qobuz app on my iPhone to my BS2 / A9 - and they both worked fine.

So seems to be OK with Qobuz, CC and the B&O speakers I have,

No help to you of course, but just passing on the information.

HAWK:

Did some more Deezer testing on this lazy Sunday.......and it seems the Deezer app is not casting ANY GC product anymore, not to the B&O, not the HK and even not to the Google Home, Mini and Nest devices......and those Google products have the latest GC versions (1.5y.xxxx). Seems a problem of the Deezer app maybe (new version since end of January......)??

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:36 AM

Other apps, like TuneIN and Spotify seem to work ok now, using GC to stream to B&O, HK and Google products (either separate or part of a Google Home Group). 

bab
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
bab replied on Sun, Feb 7 2021 2:34 PM

Actually, I take that back. After two reboots of the A6, it has been rediscovered by the Google Home app. Everything appears to working the way it used to, including speaker groups. A single reboot might have been sufficient, but I goofed.

TenaciousC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Exact same issues here, been going on for months already I'm currently on 

Beoplay M5 FW version: 1.24.41628.167401182

Chromecast version 1.28.102057

After a reboot the system usually works for a while until it doesn't... which will most of the time be at the worst possible time :(
i can't get my head around this, how can a premium brand like B&O be so underperforming when it comes to releasing firmware updates? If it's due to the Google cast build in FW being outdated, they should have known this already long ago and should have proactively fixed it by implementing a more recent version.
i did notice the interface from google Home got a huge update, the new functionalities look very promising, if I now only had some cool premium speakers that could actually use it :-s

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Feb 9 2021 3:40 PM

Hiort:

This issue remain. 

My M5 and A6 disappeared today. Had to do a powercycle to bring them back online in Google Home.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 3:10 PM
Also, when products with obsolete CC service (e.g M5, BS 1, A6) will be updated it will be possible to join / remove them on the fly in an active streaming session like it is already the case for Core and M3:

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 3:18 PM

Yep, it is indeed a good upgrade that Google Home got. I got it (GC v1.44.xxxxx) for my Harman Kardon speakers, and it works much more stable now when using GCast. And the add/remove on the fly feature is very convenient!

Let's hope the Essence, M5, BS1, A6, etc will get this upgrade soon! 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Interesting!

I wonder how that will work, when you start a session on one device with a voice command?

Will there be a command to simply add one - or even more - of the others (or maybe even exchange the first choosen with a second one)?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:03 PM

With the GHome app it is very easy, you can use the radio buttons to add/remove speakers on the fly (see screenshot from mbolo01). 

This also works when you started a session on one (or more) devices with a voice command. 

Did not find voice command yet to do the same however. 

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:41 PM
HAWK:

Did not find voice command yet to do the same however.

Same here, could not find the voice command to join a speaker to a cast in progress.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Feb 12 2021 2:59 PM
New firmware to M5 today:

Hope that fixed something...

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2021 3:50 PM
Hiort:

New firmware to M5 today

What Chromecast version does it bring ?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Feb 12 2021 8:51 PM
mbolo01:

What Chromecast version does it bring ? BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

TenaciousC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

That's a bit disappointing, seems they kept the old CC Sad
Thanks for the information! Been keeping an eye on mine but none of my speakers have received the update yet (even tried by putting my M5s via vpn on Sweden and Denmark) 

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2021 10:27 PM

TenaciousC:
That's a bit disappointing, seems they kept the old CC Sad

yep, very disappointing .... Angry

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2021 10:28 PM

dup

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 9:37 AM

At least my M5 is much more stable now.

No dropouts so far.

And no "Authentication server unreachable, stopping Google Cast!" messages so far.

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
Hiort:

New firmware to M5 today:

Hope that fixed something...

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen : Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom : M3 Library : A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom : M5 Office : Beocom 2 Travel : Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Not available in Copenhagen yet ...

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 9:50 AM

mbolo01:
Also, when products with obsolete CC service (e.g M5, BS 1, A6) will be updated it will be possible to join / remove them on the fly in an active streaming session like it is already the case for Core and M3:

I dont get that possibility. How do you access that screen?

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 9:55 AM

This screen is from the Google home app, at least that is how I do it.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 9:58 AM

Hiort:

At least my M5 is much more stable now.

No dropouts so far.

And no "Authentication server unreachable, stopping Google Cast!" messages so far.

Strangely my Essence still has the same firmware, also the Google. Cast version is the same.

As written before, Since last week (after the reboot) it started working again with Google Home, but very unstable.

After your message I did a reboot again and now it seems much more stable in the Google home group. And still the same firmware versions..

Snorreme
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Snorreme replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 10:11 AM

I have been following this thread as I have a M5 with Theas issues. As written it started to work again last week, however it is so unstable that the M5 is almost useless. I can reboot the M5, it shows up i Spotify, Tidal etc, but wont play. Sometimes it start to play after trying to connect for 5 minutes. Sometimes it wont play at all. Sam issue using Google Home, it showes up but wont play. Looking in the app everything seems fine.

Anyone have the same experience?

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 10:15 AM

It's seems very unpredictable. My essence MK2 is now working for a day without any problem. But before it was experiencing the same issues like you mention here.

BTW, Deezer is still not working with Chromecast but that seems to be the case also for speakers of other Brands. 

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member

....oops,.sorry..double post.....no way to delete a message?

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member

.....oops....

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 10:17 AM
mbolo01:

yep, very disappointing ....

I have asked support why the old CC version is kept.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 10:20 AM

Beware, if you use the latest Android 11, this on.the.fly adding or removing GC speakers will not work for now.... spotify, TuneIn, etc need to be upgraded to be able to use Media Streamer....

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-audio-output-picker-support-showing-google-cast-devices/

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 10:26 AM

Hiort:

Will be good to know as without an upgrade these products can't benefit from the flexibility of adding/removing them from playing session.

Back to the screenshot I posted, as HAWK answered, it is the Google Home App / Multimedia button that shows what's currently playing and from where you can control products individually assuming they have a recent CC software.

Hopefully this feature will be supported by more and more app or OS.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sat, Feb 13 2021 12:43 PM

mbolo01:

Hiort:

Will be good to know as without an upgrade these products can't benefit from the flexibility of adding/removing them from playing session.

Back to the screenshot I posted, as HAWK answered, it is the Google Home App / Multimedia button that shows what's currently playing and from where you can control products individually assuming they have a recent CC software.

To add: I can also use this button to control (add/remove) individual devices from the Google Home app on my Essence MK2 (with has NO new firmware yet). 

Beware, if your smartphone/tablet uses the latest Android 11/Q, this on the fly adding or removing of GC speakers will not work for now.... Spotify, TuneIn, etc need to be upgraded to be able to use the "new" Media Streamer functionality in this Android OS....

See: https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-audio-output-picker-support-showing-google-cast-devices/

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Feb 14 2021 5:37 PM

mbolo01:

Hiort:

Got the following reply from B&O on my question why Chromecast was not updated and when A6 will receive an update of its firmware:

The update would not be with the Chromecast firmware but with the M5 and A6's firmware itself. The two are distinct from one another and updates to the Chromecast firmware are no longer possible.
Different generations of devices will have different Chromecast firmware.
As the update for the M5 was to its firmware the A6's update is still in development.

I looks as if M5 and A6 are a bit lost with regards to Chromecast....

Page 2 of 5 (199 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS