Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Renaming and adding album art to new cds named as ‘unknown’

rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 2 Followers

Paul
Not Ranked
Bury St Edmunds
Posts 17
Silver Member
Paul Posted: Sun, Feb 14 2021 5:14 PM

Hello, can anyone explain in layman’s terms how to rename albums and tracks ripped and named unknown by my Beosound 5 ?
I can strap my windows 10 laptop in but I think I need some old B&O software on it - I loath ITunes so won’t let it near my pc

its frustrating to not have all the albums and tracks chronologically listed !

thanks in advance, Paul 

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Look no further than bliss music tagger.

It can automate the entire process for you.

Xcellent blog for users as well.

Barry
Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 6:24 AM

Hey Paul

Did you have any luck with Barry's suggestion.
I'm about to take delivery of a Beosound 5 with CD ripper and 1TB drive and i'm going to want to load all my CD's wtih album art...

Fingers crossed this software works...

BUT i have no idea how to connect this all up.

Will wait till i get the unit and see how I go.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 8:49 AM

Harry1:

Hey Paul

Did you have any luck with Barry's suggestion.
I'm about to take delivery of a Beosound 5 with CD ripper and 1TB drive and i'm going to want to load all my CD's wtih album art...

Fingers crossed this software works...

BUT i have no idea how to connect this all up.

Will wait till i get the unit and see how I go.

The CD Ripper is not worth much today. What I have done on a completely blank  BS5, is just using iTunes to rip my CD's, and add album covers/tagging, and then just upload the folders to the BM5 via network. In iTunes it is easy to get an overview of the tagging/album covers, to verify they are correct before transferring to BM.

/Weebyx

Paul
Not Ranked
Bury St Edmunds
Posts 17
Silver Member
Paul replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 10:12 AM

Looks like sound advice from Weeby although I am not a fan of Itunes controlling my laptop.

With Bliss I havent yet discovered how to get the thread to my server/BS5 memory so am a bit stuck.

Good luck, P

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 10:59 PM

Is the CD ripper of no value becuase there is no longer a licence iwth gracenote? or is it of no value because it's actually no good.

I wonder if there is there a way to direct the beosound 5 to talk to bliss music directly?

Can't wait to get my beosound 5 but is sounds like i'm in for a bit of work to get the best out of it.
#patience 

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 7:35 AM

Paul:

Looks like sound advice from Weeby although I am not a fan of Itunes controlling my laptop.

With Bliss I havent yet discovered how to get the thread to my server/BS5 memory so am a bit stuck.

Good luck, P

iTunes is not controlling anything ;) Yes, some things are Apple stuff, but if just used for CD ripping/tagging, I have no concerns or observations.

I just find it very easy to get an overview of all my albums with covers and tagging, and then just copy directories to Beomaster.

/Weebyx

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 7:39 AM

Harry1:

Is the CD ripper of no value becuase there is no longer a licence iwth gracenote? or is it of no value because it's actually no good.

I wonder if there is there a way to direct the beosound 5 to talk to bliss music directly?

Can't wait to get my beosound 5 but is sounds like i'm in for a bit of work to get the best out of it.
#patience 

Yes, CD ripper will rip music from the CD, without any tagging or way of knowing what it is after ripping. It is the connection with CDDB/Gracenote that is no longer working.

I had a CD Ripper for mine, sold it because it was of no use for me because of this issue. Would never pay 1 cent extra for a system advertised with ripper as bonus feature. Sorry if that is bad news for you.

I don't know if Taggers can tag music already ripped as "Album1/track01" without the CD to read from.

/Weebyx

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Bliss can be resident on your server (faster), or on your computer.

If on your computer, just point Bliss to the folder where the music resides in Settings.

B
Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Feb 25 2021 3:18 AM

Does this mean that BLISS can live on the Beosound 5 1TB hard drive?

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Feb 25 2021 3:19 AM

Ieve asked Strava stkm sounds heavenly to see if he’ll do a video on this topic but I think he’d get hundreds of requests. 

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Thu, Feb 25 2021 8:04 AM

Barry Santini:
Bliss can be resident on your server (faster), or on your computer.

If on your computer, just point Bliss to the folder where the music resides in Settings.

B

But how will bliss know Artist/Album/Tracks from a ripped WAV file that includes no information ? Unless off course the WAV actually at least contains the time of the track, then maybe from the number of tracks, and length of each track, it can find albums that might match ? Normally CDDB information is retrieved from a value that is unique to each albums, embedded on the CD.

Off course, if this information can be added as metadata to each ripped WAV fil, bliss can use this. But without any information at all, other that audio info, how will bliss find the album info ?

/Weebyx

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 2:36 AM

Assume that it used the 0's and 1's of the digital information to know what album and consequently what track etc even if it's not loaded onto the CD as metadata.

I'm not thrilled by the proposition of naming and getting images for all my CD's but I will do this if thats the only way.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 9:00 AM

Harry1:

Assume that it used the 0's and 1's of the digital information to know what album and consequently what track etc even if it's not loaded onto the CD as metadata.

I'm not thrilled by the proposition of naming and getting images for all my CD's but I will do this if thats the only way.

I can see it working, if it finds a folder with x tracks in it, it can then search the database for albums with the same number of tracks, and then match each track with the playing length of the ripped music file.

But let us know if it works, it could help other people that still rips CD's on their BM5.

Since the music directory on BM5 is a shared folder, it should be easy to have bliss live on another machine(if it does not run on WinXP), and then just point Bliss to the network drive.

/Weebyx

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2021 9:43 AM

I’ve got my beosound 5 and it’s just as beautiful as I rememer them.

thankfully the previous owner left some music on the beomaster 5 so I can at least use it.

I think my best bet to get my music on the beomaster5 is to rip it on my computer and put it on a it on a usb drive with the album art and How do I tell beomaster 5 to grab the music from a usb drive?

Thanks in advance. 

Jarrod  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Harry1:

I’ve got my beosound 5 and it’s just as beautiful as I rememer them.

thankfully the previous owner left some music on the beomaster 5 so I can at least use it.

I think my best bet to get my music on the beomaster5 is to rip it on my computer and put it on a it on a usb drive with the album art and How do I tell beomaster 5 to grab the music from a usb drive?

Thanks in advance. 

Jarrod  

You don’t!

The files must be on the BM5 harddrive alternatively on a (DLNA compatible) server on your network (on a computer or NAS).

If you want the files with the collection on the BM5 drive, you must locate that and per drag and drop add them there.

Do remember that the files from the ripped CD’s etc must be tagged properly - oderweise you won’t be able to find these using the BS5.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Posted an answer....that went into moderation ;-(

Stay tuned.

MM

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2021 12:50 AM

i don't think i asked my question clearly...

Can i move music files from a USB stick (correctly tagged)  to the hard drive on the beomaster5 by plugging the usb stick into the usb at the back of the beomaster 5.

Thanks again - this forum is so helpful.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I don’t think I explained it clearly ;-)

No, you can not!

MM

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2021 10:44 AM

Hah. That’s funny. 🤣

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Harry1:

Hah. That’s funny. 🤣

Why?

MM

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2021 11:37 AM

It’s funny because you used my line of not explaining it clearly to very clearly explain it and show that my question was clearly understood.

what then are the USB ports on beomaster 5 used for?. 

MarcosAlvarenga
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member

If you use PC , I suggest an old, but efficient freeware app called MP3 Book Helper. It can de download for free. A little bit awkward to use, but once learned it can have high grade of automation, and also adds pictures to the covers. 

It has acces to some online databank of albuns, and recognizes your files. 

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Thu, Mar 4 2021 12:32 PM

Harry1:

It’s funny because you used my line of not explaining it clearly to very clearly explain it and show that my question was clearly understood.

what then are the USB ports on beomaster 5 used for?. 

Since it is a standard PC mothorboard, they are used for "being there because it is a standard motherboard". They are also used for the USB-AUX Behringer thing, that allows you to add AUX input to the Beomaster.

The Beomaster has a network share, that can be used for copying music to the internal hdd. Just use that.

/Weebyx

Wild Ruedi
Top 500 Contributor
Zürich Switzerland
Posts 102
Bronze Member

Hi Jarrod

once you have your music,, with all extra information just copy the files on the BM5: Find it in your network, open the memory, the name is BM-USER, password as set in service settings on the BS5, some are set to 11111. Then drag and drop the files into the BM-shares folder. I do it in portions of 20GB, just if anything goes wrong. It willl take hours for 150GB of music.

Ruedi

BeoVision11, BeoVision10, BeoSound 5, BeoSound 3500, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 4, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 8000, BeoSound 3200, Beosound Moment,NL/ML converter, delaybox, var.BeoPlay Speakers

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2021 9:11 PM

Yeah, it’s the networking that has me a bit nicked in the head. 

Can i just plug the beomaster 5 into my computer via ethernet... except my laptop doesn't have an ethernet connection, only usb...

GAH - i'm such a noob at this stuff.. Angry

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No, it won’t work that way.

The center piece of all networkbased activety (computer, NAS or BM5....) is your network router.

Everything must be connected there.....must be on rhe same network.

In case of the BM5 you should use a wired fonnection to the router.

MM

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2021 11:08 PM

SOOOO if i just pick up the beomaster 5 from the living room and move it to the kitchen (where the router is) leaving the beosound 5 behind and plug the BM5 into my orbi router i should be able to see it on my laptop in the study??

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Fri, Mar 5 2021 12:58 AM

so no that doesnt work....

getting a computer networker to come around and help me sort it.

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Fri, Mar 5 2021 12:59 AM

so no that doesnt work....

getting a computer networker to come around and help me sort it.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Mar 5 2021 8:22 AM

Harry1:

SOOOO if i just pick up the beomaster 5 from the living room and move it to the kitchen (where the router is) leaving the beosound 5 behind and plug the BM5 into my orbi router i should be able to see it on my laptop in the study??

Yes, if you connect BM5 to the router, then you should be able to see and connect to the share.

If you download the user guide from bang-olufsen.com, you can read all about how this share works, and how to enter the share password, and what the share username is.

/Weebyx

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Fri, Mar 5 2021 8:40 AM

Do I need to plug a screen and keyboard into the Beomaster 5?

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Mar 5 2021 9:42 AM

Harry1:

Do I need to plug a screen and keyboard into the Beomaster 5?

No.

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Sun, Mar 7 2021 10:36 AM

I've had a little win...

By plugging cat6 from beosound 5 to my Orbi router the BeoMaster 5 comes up...  I tried this before but without beosound 5 connected and that didn't work. So i've worked out that Beosound 5 must be connected....

Now what do i do. 
When i click on beomaster 5 i get 404 URL not found.

I can't thank you all enough for the help you've been giving me...

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Mon, Mar 8 2021 7:37 AM

I finally have it working

It's a bit of a dogs breakfast with the cat6 cable just running along the floor from the Beomaster 5 to the router but i just roll that up when i'm not usiing.
There were some security issues around some obselete something or other but google helped me with that and now it's all going..
Now i'm ripping my CD's in WMA lossless. No need to keep them on my computer so as soon as i've ripped them and moved them over to the BM5 i can delete them.

HOORAY..

Thanks for your help everyone.. it is very much appreciated.

Jarrod

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Mar 8 2021 9:03 AM

Harry1:
Now i'm ripping my CD's in WMA lossless.
TIP. Rip your CD's in FLAC. 

WMA lossless, although a nice format, is becoming less and less supported, whereas FLAC is generally supported.

If your BS5 doesn't support it, search for the codecs........ they are available out there.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Agree with Carolpa.

Choose FLAC as container when you rip.

MM

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Mon, Mar 8 2021 9:33 AM

Thanks

Does flac sound better?

And what does the cd ripper nativley rip using just out of interest because i'm not using it.

Thanks

Jarrod

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No, not better - both are ‘lossless formats’, but the overall support for FLAC is much better.

As far as I remember: B&O’s CD-ripper only rips in 320-mp3 or WMA lossless. 

MM

Harry1
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Harry1 replied on Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:16 AM

Cool. Thanks. 

ill switch to flax then

i asked about the cd ripper because I have all the music from the previous owner and he’s used the ripper. I think it sounds truly astounding.

despite the nature of the seemingly compressed files even though lossless this sounds truly high end and much smoother than my pioneer stable platter CD player. 

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS