Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BBC Radio Stopping Message

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony Posted: Fri, Mar 5 2021 6:55 PM

I've just started getting the following message when listening to BBC radio stations.

"The way your device receives BBC radio programmes will stop working on or after the 22nd March 2021. If you’re using an internet radio or smart speaker, please contact the device manufacturer. If you’re using an app on another device, we recommend you listen using the BBC Sounds app or website."

Does this mean I'm about to lose the option to listen to the BBC via my BeoSound 5 or is there a workaround that I could use? Any help in resolving would be much appreciated.

• Filed under:
trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member

Yep.  See: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/38166.aspx

There may be elegant B&O work-arounds, but the hack I know is: Get a used iPod Touch and permanently turn it on the charger; then download & register as a user of the "BBC Sounds" app.  Connect it to the BeoMaster 5 USB connector with a Behringer UFO202.  (You will also need a 3.5mm headphone plug <--> 2xRCA-phono-plug cable.  If it's actually a BeoSound 5 Encore, I think you can plug in the iPod directly without the USB?)  More versatile but also more complicated, is to substitute a used AirPort Express to allow AirPlay as the A.Aux source, then AirPlay from the iPod's control panel via the AirPort Express.  This allows you to stream AirPlay from other devices in the house, if you wish.)

Details:

BBC now wants to know who their users are.  TuneIn always wanted that instead, being their "price" for supplying [Edit: URL redirection and some] bandwidth.  Thus BBC Radio is leaving TuneIn.  You can see responses about this from Sonos, who are of course hearing about it from their (many) users.  Sonos may reach a deal with the BBC not involving TuneIn, which won't do us any good -- but for now, at least, their messageboard has a more general answer from someone purporting to be a BBC [Edit: a Sonos] representative:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/bbc-radio-on-tunein-going-away-march-22nd-2021-6856391

BBC's rendition of a work-around:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/sonos-airplay

[Edit: BBC's explanation of what is happening underneath:]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/481e7233-0aea-4b15-8ace-878ce549108c

Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony replied on Sat, Mar 6 2021 5:30 PM

Hi trackbeo

Thanks for the prompt response and links.

Unfortunately I have no desire to get involved with Apple products so will have to seek other alternatives if they exist.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Any (old) Android phone should do the same job with the Behringer solution.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoBud
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Silver Member
BeoBud replied on Wed, May 12 2021 3:32 PM

Anyone hear anything more on this?

I looked at Trackbeo's link to the Sonos Community, and since the post, it was updated to say that it is now working on Sonos through:

• Sonos Radio
  • TuneIn
  • RadioPlayer
I contacted B& Customer Service, and the first thing they suggested was TuneIn, which may or may not work. I pushed back at them and then they said to delete the databases (which potentially meant losing all of the covers in N.Music. The last reply (after several other iterations) was that they are looking into it and will elevate it.

I suspect that if more BS 5 users complain about legacy product support, especially with "internet-ready" products, then something might be fixed.

I know that when a a number of (much) smaller radio stations changed their streaming player, B&O chased their third own party provider to fix the issue, and all worked beautifully thereafter.

I am trying to figure out how to get the N.Radio database to update on the BM5, short of deleting it and (hoping) it repopulates. My last update according to the extended Service menu was 22 May 2020. If anyone has a solution that's much appreciated, as I clearly don't trust B&O Customer Service people (they used to be so good...)

Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony replied on Wed, May 12 2021 6:19 PM

Hi BeoBud

I did get this resolved I will post full details tomorrow..

Tony

Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony replied on Thu, May 13 2021 1:41 PM

Hi BeoBud

Sorry my bad I should have updated this thread when I finally got the problem resolved via B&O Customer Services. Like you I initially got a response that suggested deleting databases with the loss of covers in N.Music, however that wasn't the full answer. They escalated my problem for further review and technical advice which I'm pleased to say resulted in a resolution after they directed me to a support document in the following link.

Beosound 5 N.Radio Troubleshoot

In case the link don’t work the full URL is as follows

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/attachments/token/3cUHUJGRWErvZsranFEa9Bpq0/?name=Beosound+5+N.Radio+troubleshoot.pdf

As I have a CD Ripper installed I followed the workaround instructions and successfully rebuilt my N.Radio stations, the messages stopped and I still had my N.Music covers. Incidentally as you are deleting files you might want to create a backup copy of the file you are going to delete just in case you need to revert back to it if things don’t work as expected.

I did however encounter a further problem which I reported to the B&O Customer Services as outlined below.

I can operate the BeoSound 5 directly using the wheel and pointer to select N.Radio or N.Music source (note I don’t have any speakers directly connected to the BeoSound 5 but it does have master link connected to a number of different rooms with associated link products) and if I then select N.Radio or N.Music in a link room the source will play. However the problem I’m getting is if I select N.Radio or N.Music source in any link room, without first switching the BeoSound 5 out of standby, the source fails to activate/play. Obviously a puzzle as this was working correctly before the rebuild and on the face of it nothing else has changed. Any advice to resolve this further problem would be much appreciated.

The advice received was as follows.

This behaviour can sometimes be caused by the units IP allocation. To stop this the unit needs to have a static address. You will need a USB keyboard and mouse which are plugged into the back of the BeoSound 5.

1- Go into the engineer settings which will allow you to get into Windows XP.

2- Go to network settings and untick the DHCP box.

3- Input a new IP address that is outside of the DHCP range. Usually above 250.

If you can log into your router and set it up for static IPs as well this will also help. Otherwise, if this is a process that is outside of your technical comfort you can reach out to a local retailer to ask if they can have a technician dispatched to assist in person.

This obviously takes you into areas that are starting to get quite technical and it helps if you have an understanding of this topic. I followed the gist of this advice and allocated a static IP address within my DHCP range and everything is now working as expected.

I hope that helps anyone else out there with similar problems and if I can help further please feel free to contact me.

Tony

• Filed under:
BeoBud
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Silver Member
BeoBud replied on Thu, May 13 2021 4:43 PM

Thanks, Tony.

Customer Service did recommend deleting the N.Radio database, but that was after a string of bad advice, so I figured I'd go out to people in the know!

Will give the delete a try (and backup the drive beforehand, in case it all goes pear-shaped!) and see if that cures the missing BBC station problem.

Many thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Ron

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, May 26 2021 7:01 PM

You may find a solution to manualy update the radio database here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/45715.aspx

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Wed, May 26 2021 10:08 PM
Hi Tony

Is your BS5 “on” all the time? I wonder if Enable Musicserver might help you here?

I have this enabled (and a ssd) and it just wakes up immediately.
Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony replied on Thu, May 27 2021 6:06 PM

Hi gerard

Thanks for the link. I'll keep the details for future reference as they might prove useful.

Regards, Tony

Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony replied on Thu, May 27 2021 6:17 PM

Hi beolion

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have my BS5 enabled as a Musicserver. Incidentally I did get my original problem resolved with the help of B&O Customer Services and my system is now fully working as expected.

Regards Tony

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Thu, May 27 2021 8:59 PM
May I ask what the problem was?
Tony
Not Ranked
York, UK
Posts 12
Gold Member
Tony replied on Thu, May 27 2021 10:39 PM

Hi beolion

The problem was as detailed in the thread not sure what else I can say about it.

Regards Tony

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Fri, May 28 2021 9:36 AM
Ah. Sorry. All good.

Happy it works now.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS